Sennheiser HD598 vs Beyer DT-880/990?
Apr 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sinefine

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a headphone that is great for FPS gaming and sound positioning. I've been using ATH AD700 but it's very uncomfortable for me. The pads are itchy and headphone is very loose. I've tried bending it here and there but it's always either too loose (at the perfect height to my ears) or sits too high because of the headband. 

I've been reading a lot about both HD598 and Beyer DT 770/880/990 Premium/Pro headphones but I still can't decide what I would be happy with.

I don't really mind not having a lot of bass. The AD700 didn't have a lot of bass but I was happy with the sound. I don't like the thump thump feeling against my ear. I don't listen to music that often. 

I'm looking mainly for soundstage for gaming and that large area feeling that I get from AD700 but much more comfortable, and more accurate sound positioning.

There are so many conflicting opinions on these headphones. Some say HD598 is the more comfortable while others disagree. Some say HD598 has bigger soundstage and positioning but there are also opposing opinions. 

I don't want to buy an amp. It's honestly waste of money for me since I don't listen to music that often anyways.

Does HD598 have cracking problem? Does it clamp tight? How about the Beyer line? Pro feels tighter than Premium right?

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 9
I previously owned the Hd598's and currently own the Dt880 premium 250ohms. Both are extremely comfortable. I would maybe give hd598's a slight edge b/c they are a little lighter, but its hard to say. I used the 598's for gaming a few times or was great. Haven't used dt880,s. For gaming. Both have great soundstage, didn't compare both side to side so its hard to say which is better.

I prefer Dt880's for refinement and sound signature with music, but if you are only concerned about gaming I would get HD598's, especially if you are not worried about bass impact. 598's are around $100 cheaper than the dt880 32ohms and they don't need an amp. 32 ohm dt880s are the only ones you would want to buy if you were not using an amp, but again they retail around $350. I would go for the sennheisers between the two.

Only the first batch of 598's had cracking problem. They have slight clamp when new, but get better after a week or so and then only clamp just enough to keep them moving on your head. Not at all uncomfortable. Most of the time barely feels like they are on your head.

May 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 9
For FPS gaming the HD598 wins hands down. Best soundstage, you really hear where the enemies are, plus a beautiful sound and unmatched airy comfort.

I have the DT880 and the HD598. But for gaming its always the HD598.

May 30, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 9
598s --> wider soundstage, little bit more comfortable, sounds great without amp

DT880 --> more detailed, more bass, 250 and 600ohm versions need powerful amp.

I've listened to both and feel that they both have a similar balanced signature, with the DT880s being more detailed and refined.  Without amping though, the 598s are amazing and its soundstage is definitely much wider than the DT880s.  It's a bit bass light for R&B though

May 30, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #8 of 9
Hmmm, 

I would doubt that the 598 are less refined.Once you amp them the bass is as well fuller. However, the DT880 has better bass for sure. But the mids, once I heard voices and ANY kind of string instruments on the HD598, I knew I love these cans. 

By the way, I have the 32 Ohms DT880 Premuim, so they don't really need an amp too but both sounds better with one.

While I do have a lot of headphones in my arsenal the HD598 is the one that definitively will stay. But since my DT880 is now properly burned in, I doubt I will sell this one neither. 

In the end this is such a personal decision which one you prefer, I would highly recommend testing them with your favourite songs and making a decision then.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back