Sennheiser HD598 + Snowboarding
Dec 27, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #17 of 44

Quote:
I've found my HD598 works well for synchronized skydiving, but not as well as my AD700. The Audio Technicas are a little more comfortable and don't require an adapter. You might also consider Stax.

LoL

x2 on the Stax

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #18 of 44
Also, consider AKG K1000.

I find them to work really well when I'm scuba diving.

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #19 of 44
I'd recommend the Koss ESP950... They include your own amplifier thingie that runs on batteries!  Pretty nifty for the lifts and anywhere that doesn't have an outlet.  Great headphones for the money I keep hearing.  

On a far far more serious note... the Beyerdynamic DT770 is considered a very durable headphone, and the Ultrasone series doesn't appear to shabby.  Sennheisers are home cans... not slope cans. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:
Guys, please respect the OP and make serious suggestions only, as I did. I will ban at will.

Thank you.

Are you a mod?

I stand by my statement.  Beyers or Ultras.  The DJ1 PRO has a detachable cable and includes both a coiled cord, and straight cord. 

EDIT: I re-retract my statement about Koss... Consider looking into the PRO line of monitor headphones.  Not sure how solid they are, but those would be the headphones to use to stand out from the Beats crowd.  Avoid the ESP950... I was being silly.  Issue with the PRO AA... whathaveyou line is that the impedance might be a bit high, nor can I say much about anything beyond what's listed on thier website. Another option, if you plan to hold on to your 598s is to buy a pair of Koss PortaPros.  Cheap, portable, and great bang for the buck apparently.  As the rest said... Don't use your HD598s... too nice if something does happen. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #28 of 44
Yeah, like others have said, with an HD598, you'll hear more wind noise than music unless you pump the music out very loud. Plus, if you clip a rock or branch underneath the snow, you'd likely break your headphones. 

With IEMs, you may be getting more isolation than you'd want. You never know when you may need to hear an oncoming fellow snowboarder (especially in the trees), or someone warning you of a fallen person at the landing of your upcoming jump. 

Since you should be using a helmet anyway, I'd say just get those cheap headphone attachments (usually made by Skullcandy) -- and then save the hi-fidelity for home listening. That's what I use most of the time 

On spring days when I'm not wearing my helmet, I keep a little speaker in my pocket so I can rock out on the lift or on mellow groomer runs, but still hear what's around me. Plus, using over-the-head cans with wires and whatnot can be cumbersome. I've snagged my wire on tree branches at least a half dozen times. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #30 of 44
Christ you must be damned good to consider wearing headphones while snowboarding. Went on a ski camp this year, first time. Holy **** I fell over so many times and even crashed into a rock. Great fun though but the only thing I'd be wearing on my head would be a helmet :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back