Sennheiser HD598 Amp Suggestion?
Mar 19, 2014 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jakob789521

New Head-Fier
Hey guys just a quick question, I have some Sennheiser HD598's plugged into a Xonar U7, and either the Xonar is faulty or the headphone amp is crap because I can comfortably listen to music and play piano at 100% at full gain :/ I think my on board sound is just as load actually. 

I wish to make them louder as they are too quiet for playing piano, so am either looking for a headphone amp that can drive these in this way:
PC>Xonar U7>Headphone Amp>HD598's  Without changing quality of the U7

Or 

PC>Louder Amp/Dac>HD598's

So I am in need of help, because I can't really tell if these headphones are any good at the moment, maybe the xonar is faulty?

Thanks for reading guys.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 12
ah ok, Fiio E12 is not bad for bringing around, but i did not try it out with the hd598 so can't tell you more. but i guess it can be ok, because I did try the fiio E12 with one Sennheiser HD555 and it was not bad at all :)

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the advice :) But as I don't need a portable amp, I am pretty keen on getting a Objective 2 amp so it will be:

Laptop < USB < Xonar U7 < 3.5mm Jack Line in to < Objective 2 < 3.5mm to HD598's 

This way I can make use of my awesome U7 and amplify with minimal distortion :) 

Thanks for the help Hunolina

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 12
I just ordered the Schiit Magni. It should be here on Friday but at the moment, I am running my HD598s off a ASUS Xonar DG internal sound card and they sound fantastic.  With the volume set at 30-40 percent, they are VERY loud.  Should you decide to stay with a sound card, have a looks at the Xonar DG.  Only about $25-$30 on Amazon. Exceptionally value.

Looking forward to getting the Magni to see if it is as good as advertised...............

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #10 of 12
Im afraid I have a laptop so need an external one. WHOA AT 40% I CAN BARELY HEAR MINE!. What's the amp like compared to the U7? I have to put it at 100% at high gain on my HD598's :frowning2: 

I bought a Objective 2 of a great guy in the UK who builds them at awesome quality, so that's my amp sorted anyway :)

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 12
Hey maybe I will when I get my setup sorted :) haha Im not that good though.

I use galaxy painos 
http://www.galaxy-instruments.com/galaxy-pianos.html

I have them all and sound excellent :) Can't believe how much better they are than having an upright in your home. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back