1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD598 Amp Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jakob789521, Mar 19, 2014.
  1. Jakob789521
    Hey guys just a quick question, I have some Sennheiser HD598's plugged into a Xonar U7, and either the Xonar is faulty or the headphone amp is crap because I can comfortably listen to music and play piano at 100% at full gain :/ I think my on board sound is just as load actually. 

I wish to make them louder as they are too quiet for playing piano, so am either looking for a headphone amp that can drive these in this way:
    PC>Xonar U7>Headphone Amp>HD598's  Without changing quality of the U7

Or 

PC>Louder Amp/Dac>HD598's

So I am in need of help, because I can't really tell if these headphones are any good at the moment, maybe the xonar is faulty?

Thanks for reading guys.

2. hodgjy
    Consider the Schiit Magni/Modi stack. 

3. Jakob789521
    Wow that was fast! and that stack is huge! How much are they?

And also as I am on my laptop is there a more portable option?

4. Jakob789521
    I was thinking:

Laptop>Xonar U7>Fiio E12>HD598's

The Fiio doesn't have a dac does it? I dont want it to change the signal of the Xonar.

Thanks

5. hunolina
    I've got my self one Matrix Dac mini and fully happy with him when plug in the HD598 :wink:

6. hunolina
    ah ok, Fiio E12 is not bad for bringing around, but i did not try it out with the hd598 so can't tell you more. but i guess it can be ok, because I did try the fiio E12 with one Sennheiser HD555 and it was not bad at all :)

7. Jakob789521
    Thanks for the advice :) But as I don't need a portable amp, I am pretty keen on getting a Objective 2 amp so it will be:

Laptop < USB < Xonar U7 < 3.5mm Jack Line in to < Objective 2 < 3.5mm to HD598's 

This way I can make use of my awesome U7 and amplify with minimal distortion :) 

Thanks for the help Hunolina

8. FastAndClean
    dragonfly

9. Boochie
    I just ordered the Schiit Magni. It should be here on Friday but at the moment, I am running my HD598s off a ASUS Xonar DG internal sound card and they sound fantastic.  With the volume set at 30-40 percent, they are VERY loud.  Should you decide to stay with a sound card, have a looks at the Xonar DG.  Only about $25-$30 on Amazon. Exceptionally value.

Looking forward to getting the Magni to see if it is as good as advertised...............

10. Jakob789521
    Im afraid I have a laptop so need an external one. WHOA AT 40% I CAN BARELY HEAR MINE!. What's the amp like compared to the U7? I have to put it at 100% at high gain on my HD598's :frowning2: 

I bought a Objective 2 of a great guy in the UK who builds them at awesome quality, so that's my amp sorted anyway :)

11. e22big
    should have show us some of your piano work :)

12. Jakob789521
    Hey maybe I will when I get my setup sorted :) haha Im not that good though.

I use galaxy painos 
    http://www.galaxy-instruments.com/galaxy-pianos.html

I have them all and sound excellent :) Can't believe how much better they are than having an upright in your home.