Sennheiser HD580 worth repairing?
Dec 15, 2011 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fallsroad

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of HD580s given me as a gift back in 2000 or so. All the cushions are totally shot, and the cable must also be gone as the sound drops out in the left channel and can sort of be made to come back by twisting and bending the cable right at the left plug.

Parts cost is about $80.

I have a pair of HD650s I really like, but I recall the 580s being lighter on the head, which might go better when headphoning and working at the same time. I know I'll lose my HeadFi cred by admitting I've never worked on a pair of phones, not even replacing a cable or cushions so it behooves me to ask if this is relatively easy to do, taking into account I repaired audio speakers as a living for a while in another life.

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 7
If you love your headphones (how they sound) you should repair them. 

Check this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/240136/diy-hd580-repair

There are other threads on similar topics. 

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
If you love your headphones (how they sound) you should repair them. 

Check this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/240136/diy-hd580-repair

There are other threads on similar topics. 

It has been some years since I last listened to the 580s, but I loved their sound. The 650s have a different sonic signature, but it might be nice to have a change of pace on hand.

Thanks for  the links - very useful. I will need to check to ensure it really is the cable and not the internal leads that is causing the dropout problem. Didn't occur to me it could be anything other than the cable until I read that thread.

Quote:
I replaced the cable and top cushion on my Sennehiser HD555s. If the HD580 is anything like it, it will be a very easy job.

Good to know. Guess I'll order the parts and give it a whirl.

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I've never worked on a pair of phones, not even replacing a cable or cushions so it behooves me to ask if this is relatively easy to do, taking into account I repaired audio speakers as a living for a while in another life.

I guess its time to DIY. 
tongue.gif
lots of fun. 

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:

I guess its time to DIY. 
tongue.gif
lots of fun. 

I swapped the existing cable from left to right channel, and the drop outs follow the cable, so I don't think anything internally is broken.

I did notice that when I put them back together, the "R" and "L" on the plugs denoting which channel is which are not visible any longer - the plugs seem to be much farther inside the shell of the ear cup than previously. I opened them up to see if there was anything to be done about it, but could not see that there was.

Also, when you buy a new set of pads, does Sennheiser include the flat piece of foam over the driver?

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 7
Glad to see you went for the repairs..  The pair I bought from Headroom in Dec '93 bundled with their first amp (The Supreme) has continued to perform great for me.  Over the years I've replaced the earcushions, headband /pad, cables, and grills.  The only thing I'd like is replacement inner cup foam.  Mine fell apart so I removed them (defoaming mod) but really would like to restore them.

Having these tweaked and well worn in HD580s had kept me from buying HD600s (which when I A-Bed them sounded the same) or later HD650s for that matter.  Love 'em :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back