Sennheiser HD580, Can you still get them in UK?
Mar 4, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by quaN' /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... single sided is so much easier, why bother making dual entry? (A question to Sennheiser, AKG e.t.c.)

Single sided is not easier - it's more difficult!

The cable goes into one headphone cup - then you have to run a second cable up over the headband to the other side.

A Y-cable is easier to manufacture and the cable length to each capsule in the same.

A single sided cable gives uneven cable length, a join in the cable (normally) and the cable going over the headmand has a greater amunt of stress.

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Single sided is not easier - it's more difficult!

The cable goes into one headphone cup - then you have to run a second cable up over the headband to the other side.

A Y-cable is easier to manufacture and the cable length to each capsule in the same.

A single sided cable gives uneven cable length, a join in the cable (normally) and the cable going over the headmand has a greater amunt of stress.

he continued to say that he meant for the consumer, not the builder

but I <3 that sennheiser actually responded

question of the day for you (knowing that you guys are sworn enemies with AKG, of sorts): whats your take on the K701's single entry, or various Ultrasone's, they all sound just as good/better to many users as Senn products

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question of the day for you (knowing that you guys are sworn enemies with AKG, of sorts): what's your take on the K701's single entry, or various Ultrasone's, they all sound just as good/better to many users as Senn products

We are *not* sworn enemies, we all respect each other (and my very first headphones were AKG - the K60 back in about 1970).
biggrin.gif
Actually I have had very friendly discussions with AKG's microphone designer and the UK's Ultrasone distributor - we all know each other.

Actually - you only get high quality products at a reasonable price if you have several high quality companies competing with each other.
beerchug.gif

Single entry cable tends to be of different length (unless you wind the excess cable inside one side) and very often there is a join and a different cable going over the headband. Care has to be taken to ensure the over-headband cable has a good route to avoid snagging.

The Y-cable has the advantage that it is equal in length and is easier to replace.

A single entry can be easier for the user - but, actually, can be quite uncomfortable if you have a heavy coiled cable one side as it pulls the head lop-sided; though light cables are fine.

Sennheiser do headphones of both types so both ways have their advantages and disadvantages and a manufacturer will weigh up one against the other before deciding which way to go for a particular set of headphones.

Sonically, I don't think it really makes a difference (other than to purists who insist that cables are exactly the same length) which way it's done. But for people who want to re-cable headphones, the Y-cable is obviously the easier option as it's difficult to open the headphones to replace the over-headband cable.

The sound of the headphones is mainly based on the actual design of the headphones themselves, rather than the cable method used, which plays a very small part.

You choose the headphones you want to buy on the basis of what your personal preferences are and the particular characteristics of the headphones in question. Looking at these forums and A v B choice; there are as many people who love A and hate B as there are who love B and hate A.

There is no right and wrong way - just a balance of options.

I hope this answers you OK - I think this an open and fair answer.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by quaN' /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only found out about these headphones just yet, some reviews say they're great although they're discontinued but they look like a smaller brother to HD580. So, would it be worth getting HD580's to replace my HD215's (still got a chance to get a refund and get 580's). Can you still get them in UK? Not ebay.

Edit: And if I can't get HD580's (cry baby), would it be worth getting a refund on HD215's and getting a pair of HD555's?

I'm actually quite pleased with the HD215's but well, I just can't sit here and know that I got a **** deal.

Your wish is my command, don't blame me for there asking price.

But I found a vendor in the UK that stocks the Sennheiser HD 580.

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your wish is my command, don't blame me for there asking price.

But I found a vendor in the UK that stocks the Sennheiser HD 580.

STONEAUDIO UK | hi-fi, home cinema, multi-room, design and installation

Thank you mate
biggrin.gif
But that price is well, outrageous. I know they're good headphones and all but they're about 8 years old
biggrin.gif
(although Audio never gets old) but usually you would sell 8 years old product for much cheaper price (add another £50 and you can get 600
biggrin.gif
)

The 8 years old isn't a fact but I reckon they're pretty old (they're discontinued).

Sennheiser - Thank you, that's a great answer and it's actually nice to talk someone directly. It explained it all very well and I didn't actually know that if you're wanting to re-cable your cans (I got a detachable cord as I got 215's) you would need to also change the top cable going through headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back