Sennheiser HD580, Can you still get them in UK?
Mar 3, 2009 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

quane

100+ Head-Fier
I only found out about these headphones just yet, some reviews say they're great although they're discontinued but they look like a smaller brother to HD580. So, would it be worth getting HD580's to replace my HD215's (still got a chance to get a refund and get 580's). Can you still get them in UK? Not ebay.

Edit: And if I can't get HD580's (cry baby), would it be worth getting a refund on HD215's and getting a pair of HD555's?

I'm actually quite pleased with the HD215's but well, I just can't sit here and know that I got a **** deal.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 20
I'm confused by your post "HD 580 looks like a smaller brother to HD 580" ???

the HD 580 is the precursor to the HD 600, and will fetch reasonably high prices used, and cannot be purchased new (been out of production for a while)

the HD-555's are likely to be viewed as a big upgrade to the HD-215, but are entirely unrelated to the 580/600/650 product family (in the sense that they don't sound remotely similar, the 555's are part of the 515/555/595 family)

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused by your post "HD 580 looks like a smaller brother to HD 580" ???

the HD 580 is the precursor to the HD 600, and will fetch reasonably high prices used, and cannot be purchased new (been out of production for a while)

the HD-555's are likely to be viewed as a big upgrade to the HD-215, but are entirely unrelated to the 580/600/650 product family (in the sense that they don't sound remotely similar, the 555's are part of the 515/555/595 family)

I meant that 580's are like a small brother of HD600's
biggrin.gif

I know about the families but cheers anyway
biggrin.gif

Would it be worth all that trouble, just to get HD555's? I actually was really hoping to get 580's because they're real cheap now and they seem pretty tasty
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sound wise, would 215's look like some cheap-ass headphones compared to HD555's? I know about the sound leakage but I don't really care as I've got my own room.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 20
the HD-555 feels "cheap and plastic" compared to the HD 580 imho (haven't heard the HD-215, sorry) would probably be an upgrade though (it isn't a bad headphone, until you start comparing it to much higher end units, like the HD 580, and the better AKG's and whatnot)

the HD 580's require solid amplification and a good source, just like the HD 600 and HD 650, granted, you're still saving money, but consider that as part of their price (they're 300 ohms nominal, and not massively sensitive, so ipod/etc would have trouble, but a decent receiver/IA/etc should go no problems)

I guess its up to you, if its worth the trouble to return it and whatnot, I'm guessing you'd notice some benefits (as the 555 is a higher end 'phone, at least according to Sennheiser, but according to AKG, the K701 is "entirely" better than the K601 or K501 (and we see how true that is for many members
wink.gif
)), at the very least, you'd get to hear another pair of hp's and add to your experiences (heh)

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 20
Another option is HD485 but that's about it. BTW Never ordered from Amazon, reliable?

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by quaN' /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another option is HD485 but that's about it. BTW Never ordered from Amazon, reliable?

Amazon as in Amazon.com?

you're kidding, right?
popcorn.gif

amazon is probably one of the best online retailers on the planet

can't give you any input on HD-485 though, sorry, heard they're good for "jazz, electronica, and R&B", no idea if that helps you

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 20
I'm a trance/techno head, listen to rap as well (not 50cent that piece of ****) and that's about it. I'll probably go with HD555's, I'll refund my 215's tomorrow and I'll order HD555's then.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 20
BTW Is Y cable better sound quality than 1 sided?

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

BTW Is Y cable better sound quality than 1 sided?

in regards to what?

honestly I don't subscribe to cables making a huge difference

lemme give you an example though:

AKG K701's are single entry on the left side

Sennheiser HD 650's are dual entry

they're compared to one another quite often

do you see my point?

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

in regards to what?

honestly I don't subscribe to cables making a huge difference

lemme give you an example though:

AKG K701's are single entry on the left side

Sennheiser HD 650's are dual entry

they're compared to one another quite often

do you see my point?

Hmm...
I'm just looking at DIY Cable Gallery and most people that post there have dual entry headphones (most of them are high-end too) so I was wondering, single sided is so much easier, why bother making dual entry? (A question to Sennheiser, AKG e.t.c.)

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 20
I would say the HD555 is definatly an improvement from the HD215's. I loved mine, if only it were closed
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Hmm...
I'm just looking at DIY Cable Gallery and most people that post there have dual entry headphones (most of them are high-end too) so I was wondering, single sided is so much easier, why bother making dual entry? (A question to Sennheiser, AKG e.t.c.)

single sided is easier??

it means you have to run the cable into one cup, and then pass wire over the headband to the other cup, and make sure the lines are the same length, and it all runs in a single jacket end to end, vs dual entry (like HD 650's stock cable) is just one line per side

and yeah, dual entry is usually viewed as "higher end" by people who recable their gear, I like the single entry on my K701's, a lot more convienient

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

single sided is easier??

it means you have to run the cable into one cup, and then pass wire over the headband to the other cup, and make sure the lines are the same length, and it all runs in a single jacket end to end, vs dual entry (like HD 650's stock cable) is just one line per side

and yeah, dual entry is usually viewed as "higher end" by people who recable their gear, I like the single entry on my K701's, a lot more convienient

I didn't mean it's simpler technically speaking, I meant it looks neater and it looks like a simpler design, well, once I get my 555's (If I get them
biggrin.gif
) I'm gonna DIY a cable just for the fun (love modding but it usually ends in wasted money.)

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

I didn't mean it's simpler technically speaking, I meant it looks neater and it looks like a simpler design

oh, I 100% agree with that, but from the manufacturing standpoint, its sort of obnoxious to do on a mass scale, hence why they likely don't

but I 100% agree for the end user, its a nice feature

good luck with the recab

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #15 of 20
Thanks man, you helped me a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back