Sennheiser HD580/600/650 MOD
Jan 30, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #17 of 22
This mod really depends on your equipment. With lower end equipment you’ll probably associate the lift in the mids as a positive sq improvement. With a excellent source and amp this mod is way too bright and the sq suffers. Hence, the 650’s are neutral in stock form, it all depends what’s in the driving seat.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #18 of 22
I have the 580 right now and expecting a miracle did those same mods, ended with 600 grills and the foam removed, using a 650 cable, and a pantyhose black over the driver instead of the foam, in both cases before and after they sounded identical to me...period...The veil will be there for life unless you go balanced with it, even though is not removed completely. I have never heard any of the higher Senns with no veil at all, in any setup till now, and I have heard quite a few killer ones. IMO that is inherent to their driver nature and the design, and has nothing to do with the amps or gear associated, as other headphones with the same gear will never have it regardless of synergy...

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 580 right now and expecting a miracle did those same mods, ended with 600 grills and the foam removed, using a 650 cable, and a pantyhose black over the driver instead of the foam, in both cases before and after they sounded identical to me...period...The veil will be there for life unless you go balanced with it, even though is not removed completely. I have never heard any of the higher Senns with no veil at all, in any setup till now, and I have heard quite a few killer ones. IMO that is inherent to their driver nature and the design, and has nothing to do with the amps or gear associated, as other headphones with the same gear will never have it regardless of synergy...

Just to clarify, this mod (not the inherit veil) deteriorates the natural balance of the 650’s when using better balanced equipment IMHO.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #20 of 22
Dont monkey too much, people around here get bored and start tearing foam and cutting plastic to get "the sound" when there's already sound to be had. Plus, if you ever want to sell them, its much harder.

These senn's were engineered with sound AND protection from dust/foreign matter in mind. Once you get dust on the driver, its sometimes a pain to get it out.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone got advice for the pantyhose install? How did you get it tight?

Put the pad in the pantyhose, then stretch the panty a little and stick the pad back on your headphone shell. With a sharp pair of scissors/knife you cut it round the pad while stretching the pantyhose a little. The pantyhose pulls back behind the pad and the edge is invisible.
atsmile.gif

May 15, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #22 of 22
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

I just found this thread after wanting to see what if anything I can do to tweak the sound of my 580's. I got them for a bargain and really just wanted to try them prior to my Massdrop 58X arriving in the summer.

The guy I bought them from bought them new and used them infrequently.

As nice as they sound, they are still playing third fiddle to my HD250 and HD565 so I figured I would try these things one by one and at worst they would still be third fiddle.

I'm impressed with the changes. The biggest change I noticed was the back foam removal, I also liked the extra space in sound from removing the cups.

Visually, with no cups on they have a similar industrial appeal to my 565, I therefore took it a step further and cut off the spider cage with a craft knife.

I like how they look now, the extra bass oomph sets them apart from the 565 too so I now have three different sounding but nice cans.

I am not fussed about the lack of protection and I store my headphones in cases with charcoal pouches when not in use.

The spider cage removal may seem extreme but I can glue it back if I want to.

Pics for anyone that is interested.

9B170C13-612E-4490-9082-26A1E0C75A9B.jpeg
FDF4BC32-05FB-4B17-B2F4-42CCBBCC3E9D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back