Sennheiser HD580/600/650 MOD
Aug 20, 2008 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Jo6Pak

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sure this has been discussed here in the past, but I was unable to find it using the search tool. I am curious about this mod from the APS website:

APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure - APS Audio LLC.

I have HD650s and am willing to perform this if it will make them sound better. They already sound good, so not sure what this will accomplish.

Does it lift the so-called Senn veil? Since all of the cans I own are Senns, I'm not even certain what the 'veil' is. Also, if this mod makes them sound 'better', why does Senn add these components (inner & outer foam) to begin with?

Would like to hear from people that have performed this mod to help me determine if this is something I should do to mine.

THANKS!

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 22
Actually debatable mod. At least removing the backside foam part. Although it's tiny, it has some dampening functions. Removing it from there will lead to sliiightly more driver movement which leads to more bass. It's not something HD 650 owners will welcome...
Also, removing the foam from the front are not making much sense. Better to just cut some hole in front of it to let the treble go.
Anyway, both these foams are acoustically transparent and having or not having them there are not making considerable difference.

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 22
Well... you don't know what veil is because you probably don't have it. You have a quite good equipment and the DarkVoice makes a good synergy with the 650. Don't waste your time trying to find improvements when you don't need them. All these mods are bad alchemies. If you have a bad equipment and a bad amp (or no amp) you will hear the music more "metallic" and unnatural by removing the foams. Its not a big difference but it is there. It does not remove the veil. And it is also possible not to hear any change at all. And the cost will be to end up with a pair of headphones prone to the environmental dust. *A really bad thing... trust me...

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 22
I did this to my HD590s, and yeah...got more bass (slightly), and a little less smoothing of treble...not goint to bother doing it to my HD650's. Alex says pretty much what you stated...that it allows more driver movement for added bass impact, and lifts the veil, if you believe there is such a thing.

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 22
I performed this mod on my HD580s and the result was excellent. Treble was brighter, staging and presence were enhanced. I only removed the front layer, not the rear. However, the driver is now exposed. When I get around to it, I'm looking to put back a piece cut out from a nylon stocking that matches the shape of the foam that was removed. I would be the first to say that the foam certainly has the appearance of being acoustically neutral, but I can't dispute what my ears are hearing. I had great success with this mod and I recommend it to anyone. Now I'm looking to replace the cable which has some intermittant problems on the 580s. Hope this helps, Mike

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 22
Removing the front foam did remove a veil. I haven't tried removing the small back foam, because I suspect it has some high frequency damping effect, much like those caps in front of tweeters. Not likely to affect low bass much.

Cardas Cable helped tremendously also. Those two mods, and I'm quite happy. :^)

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 22
Finished this up tonight.

HPIM3265.jpg

HPIM3271.jpg

I decided to leave the foam on the backside intact for a couple of reasons; mostly because I don't really want to tinker with the sound too much.

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 22
I've been using my 650 with rear foam removed for many months. I think my 650 sounds better this way. A wider, more open sound is noticed. Bass may be enhanced also...I do know it kicks!

I have modded the front foam also:

2927691560044175878S500x500Q85.jpg

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 22
GD, how do you keep the mesh grille from vibrating/rattling? Is that metal or plastic? I like that idea...I may take my 590 foam and try that on the 650...

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 22
I did this mod (both back and front foams removed) to my HD650 last night. Big grin playing the piece of music. This to my ears is really nice, less muffle and more focus, instruments sort of snap into place. Sennheiser have to manufacture their headphones for a wide variety of sources and amps. Some will be bright and forward sounding, hence the foam to accommodate these circumstances. With good equipment the foam gets in the way... anyway that’s my take on the matter.

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GD, how do you keep the mesh grille from vibrating/rattling? Is that metal or plastic? I like that idea...I may take my 590 foam and try that on the 650...

That mesh is actually fiberglass window screen. I used the foam as a template for the cut-out. It does not vibrate or cause any negative effects. I used a Nickel for the foam cut-out size.

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 22
After a longer listening session last night I felt the overall sound with the foams removed from front and back to be slightly hyper in the treble and overall there was a good amount of glare that got in the way. Although there was more detail, this was at the sacrifice of warmth. So I’ve put back the large front foams and still have the small back foams removed. This is very nice,
o2smile.gif
I have back the warmth with additional detail and treble extension. Also that constant mid bass pressure I have felt with these phones seems to be lifted adding sense further up the spectrum balancing the midrange. That’s what I’m hearing and everyone’s different.

Sep 18, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's not need to use that mesh, it doesn't protect from dust.
There's pantyhose for that.

If you're referring to the window screen, it's not there for dust...but yes there is a need for it.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're referring to the window screen, it's not there for dust...but yes there is a need for it.

Resuscitating an old thread, but what is "the need," and how does the mesh address it? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back