Sennheiser HD558 cable
Aug 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #31 of 48

I just ordered one of these today on eBay. $16 free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone-/261255113290?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&var=&hash=item3cd404aa4a

These look to be custom made which means someone is making and selling the special 2.5mm locking connectors. I sent the seller an email asking to get more details on the type of wire used and where I can buy the connectors. I'll update the thread once the order arrives.

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #33 of 48
  I found an adapter on ebay that fits perfect once you remove the locking ring.  Here is the ebay link, and a picture of the adapter.  I just got it in from china but is an exact fit. it is a 3.5mm stereo female to 2.5mm male 4 pole adapter. Ignore the velcro in the pic, that is for my labtec mic so I can use the headphones while gaming.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260954472351?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

That link is gone now. I have something similar but it is just SLIGHTLY larger in diameter and won't even slip into the outside jack hole. Can you provide us with more info on what adapter you got or the vendor?  Thanks!

Edit: Think I found it.

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #34 of 48

I just ordered one of these today on eBay. $16 free shipping...

These look to be custom made which means someone is making and selling the special 2.5mm locking connectors. I sent the seller an email asking to get more details on the type of wire used and where I can buy the connectors. I'll update the thread once the order arrives.

that would be awesome if we just have a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm male adapter with the locking connector. i have a BT receiver i want to velcro to the 598

May 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #35 of 48
Ordered same one 1.2m, came in about a week :D. Very well made, Im satisfied.

I just ordered one of these today on eBay. $16 free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone-/261255113290?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&var=&hash=item3cd404aa4a

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #38 of 48
I just got these headphones but i do require to use it for gaming so i need to attach the mic.  I see that now i can take out the plastic tab, but i'm really new to this headphone game, can someone provide a step-by-step DIY to disassemble please?  thanks guys!

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #39 of 48
  I just got these headphones but i do require to use it for gaming so i need to attach the mic.  I see that now i can take out the plastic tab, but i'm really new to this headphone game, can someone provide a step-by-step DIY to disassemble please?  thanks guys!

Might try reading up and asking on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/573899/sennheiser-hd518-hd558-hd598-support-thread

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #40 of 48
  I don't have any right now, but I will take some and post them here tomorrow.

I decided to go ahead and take some pictures of it. I am planning on using this for a gaming headset so there is a mic attached to the side of it.  If the pictures are too big let me know and I will resize them.

Here is the headset with the test cable and mic. 

This is the cable I used for right now to test with. It is the XBox 360 chat cable that came with my Astro Mixamp.

Remove the 4 screws shown here and then the plastic locking piece will come out. After the locking ring is removed screw the PCB back in place.

this is the piece you want to remove

Do you need to unscrew the 4 tiny philip screws to get to there?

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #42 of 48
In the next few weeks I plan on replacing the cables and adding an integrated microphone jack. I'll add pictures when that is done.

Now I just need to find out if the circuit board is actually needed or if it just holding the connector.

May 18, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #43 of 48
It has been a little while since I messed with these headphones but today I removed the circuit board and replaced it with a 3.5mm jack. I still need to do a little work on it but I'll add some pictures in case anyone was interested. I tested it with the vmoda mic and it works great.

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #45 of 48
Did you just unsolder the PCB and resolder a 3.5mm plug? if so, could you possibly show pictures of the internals, cuz seeing this I'm thinking about doing that to mine right now too 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back