Sennheiser HD515 vs Sennheiser HD558
Dec 21, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #16 of 19
Yeah Grado are the way 2 go for that price range and music genres. SR 60i or SR 80i.
Only problem about them is that there are not that comphy. That's one of the reasons they are not my first choice under 100$ HP and the other1 is that even though there are very good, especially 4 rock music...they are little 2 much 4 me and after 3+ hours not just that I got pain in my ears for wearing them, I also got a little headache 'cause they are a little to "aggressive" and in your face if you know what I mean.  :frowning2: 
Don't get me wrong at first I was amazed by the sound of the HP with that price tag and I'm not 1 of them that think that there are not good looking phones but after some time fatigue got 2 me. I guess I like more neutral and lade back HP that I can wear 4 a long period of time and which are not 2 bass heavy. That's why I'm looking into getting me some AKG K 601 HD.
back 2 topic.
I would recommend u 2 go 4 the HD 558 although I never had a chance of using them I do know how HD 555 sound like and feel like and they are also 1 of my favorite HP and they are so comfortable.
Anyway, any1 that knows anything about the HP say that u should skip HD515 and go 4 the higher1's and that it worth the price. Most of the people that like 515 are the ones that never had 50+ $ HP before and they are happy whit what they got because they don't know better [no offense ].
Also I would skip the HD 4xx series exxept maybe HD 448 [they maybe look/feel cheap and flimsy but there not that bad and are a great sounding HP 4 that price].

Also take a look at the Audio Technica ATH-M50 , Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 [wonderful sound stage - good for FPS gaming] and maybe Shure SRH840.

P.S. Sorry 4 my bad English and 4 having my first post on this forum on a 3w old thread. :wink:

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #17 of 19
I already made the purchase, forgot to update. :p

I ended up taking the plunge and going for the HD558. It was quite an improvement over my old headphones, the sound is quite good. They're not as comfortable as my old HPX2000, but they're comfortable enough to be worn for a few hours (although they could use a little less tightening). I'm also under the impression that they're getting better every day, I'm guessing it's the burn-in kicking in. At the moment, I'm even considering purchasing a new soundcard (possibly Asus Xonar DG or DS) to see if I can get an even better sound - up until now I hadn't felt the need for it.

The main complaint I have about them is the somewhat frail look they have. They don't seem all that sturdy. They're also quite noisy for anyone around me, but I was already expecting that since they're an open design - although it's quite louder than I thought.

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #18 of 19
I'm sure they will loosen up in time. How's the bass?
558 and 555 are a little lower end in terms of quality made but that's why they are cheaper but also gives almost the same SQ as the higher priced brother's. U just need to take care of them.
You're not using any sound card right now? DG is ok entry level SC. I had it for 3-4m.
It gives a nice boost 2 the HP if you're on the tight budget and on on-board SC and you need some more juice for the HP they are the way 2 go. I would really like to seen your update after 300+ h burn-in period and before and after DG. Cheers

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #19 of 19
The bass is a bit on the weak side, but that doesn't bother me much. 

At the moment I'm on on-board sound. It's a Realtek ALC1200, which isn't all that bad - although I have to connect the headphones to my powered speakers, otherwise I hear quite a bit of static. However, from what I read, I think there'll be an improvement with a Xonar. I'm leaning towards the DG since it has the headphone amp and I'll use mainly headphones. However, I've also read that the DS is better when it comes to sound quality, which is why I'm checking that as well. The others above it are a bit too pricey at the moment given what's left of my budget after purchasing the HD558. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back