Sennheiser HD515 vs Sennheiser HD558
Nov 26, 2011 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

pamaro

New Head-Fier
I know that the title offers an unfair comparison, but that's the dilemma I'm currently facing. :p

I've been looking for some headphones for quite a while, to replace my aging Behringer HPX2000 (they have served me well for a few years, but are now suffering from some aging problems). I wanted to buy something better this time, so I've been browsing around and I've found two very different deals:

- Sennheiser HD515 for €53
- Sennheiser HD558 for €118

I know that the HD515 is weaker and one "generation" behind, but is the 558 that good that it's worth twice the money? I'll be using them mainly for music, movies and videogames on the PC, along with connecting them to the guitar amp to play sometimes. All the reviews I read say that the HD558 is awesome and most say the HD515 is good.

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 19
The hd515 is an old generation model, and seem it has been replaced by the hd518.
Since the hd515 is getting discontinued , probably you can find nice price.
I  would look if the hd555 is not available for a good price.
And you can mod it, to make it sound like a hd595.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 19
I've also tried searching for the 555 on the store where I found the 515 for a bit over €50, but they don't have it. It's probably some left over stock that they're trying to get rid of. I was initially leaning towards the 558, but the price difference is quite big, so I'm undecided. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 19
Well, I  don't see much interest for models below the hd555 here.
Personally, I'd go straight to the hd598, or hd600,  as soon or later you'd want to upgrade.
You might decide a budget, and not restrict your search to the sennheiser brand.

Also If it's your first "audiophile" can, don't dismiss cheap options like the ksc75 (or porta pro). I  say this, because often the expectations are too high, when you buy your first audiophile can, and sound quality doesn't increase proportionally with price.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 19
Sadly, those are way beyond my budget. The 558 at €120 is really my top limit. As you've pointed out, this is my first "audiophile" purchase, which is why I'm a bit worried about not being able to notice the difference for the 515 and just wasting around €60 extra on the 558. On the other hand, whichever one I buy, I doubt I'll be upgrading it anytime soon... so I'm also worried about being stuck with a lower option and regret it later on.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
Sadly, those are way beyond my budget. The 558 at €120 is really my top limit. As you've pointed out, this is my first "audiophile" purchase, which is why I'm a bit worried about not being able to notice the difference for the 515 and just wasting around €60 extra on the 558. On the other hand, whichever one I buy, I doubt I'll be upgrading it anytime soon... so I'm also worried about being stuck with a lower option and regret it later on.

One thing I  don't like with Sennheiser, is that they are degrading on purpose the sound quality of lower models, in order to justify the bigger price of higher models.
In the case of hd555, that was so obvious, it was a hd595 downgraded.
Also I  see some people bashing the entry level models of Sennheiser.
I  tell you , that if I  bought  first some ksc75, I  might have not looked for something better;  they are good enough for non critical listening, their only flaw is a lack of headband.
If you want best bang for the buck , at budget price, look for an other brand anyway.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 19
You could consider the  audio technica ath m50, for instance.
I  didn't tried them, but they have a lot of praise , and they are on your budget.
They are other options than Sennheiser.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 19
i bought the HD515 a while back from a fellow headfi member and haven't looked back since.  I love the open backed sound.  It has good soundstage and very clear  smooth sound.  I am new to this audiophile stuff but i have not regretted buying them for a second.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 19
If it helps, I've got Senn 558s, which were around £110 when I bought them a few months ago, which is a very similar price. I thought for that much, they were very good value for money. A great all-round headphone. I don't think anything about their sound immediately stands out as exceptional (perhaps the sound stage), but there are no obvious flaws either. Just an easily driven, very comfortable, jack of all trades headphone.

My friend finds them a touch uncomfortable - he thinks the pads are a bit stiff. That's the only warning I can give. For me, they fit snugly like a glove.

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
I don't think anything about their sound immediately stands out as exceptional (perhaps the sound stage), but there are no obvious flaws either.

Exactly my first thought when I got my hd595.  I'd say the hd595 stands out with "ambient" music: brian eno, hammock, Jónsi & Alex, biosphere etc..
In comparison my ksc75 are incredible value for 15$.

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #11 of 19
For the differences between 515 vs 518, you can try read this: http://www.headfonia.com/old-and-new-hd555-hd558-hd598/
should it sennheiser? because there are other alternative in those price bracket...
Quote:

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #12 of 19
Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the brand, I'm looking at Sennheiser mainly due to positive feedback I have from friends who have other models of that brand. I've browsed quite a bit and had my mind set on the 558, but a last minute visit to another shop found the 515 at less than half its price. The information I've been finding is quite similar to what you're telling me: those who have the 515 like it, those who have the 558 also think it's great. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find someone who could tilt the balance one way or the other. I was also able to listen only to the 515 for a minute or so, but it was in a noisy store with a radio source... so all I could take is that they were comfortable, but nothing really important sound-wise. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the brand, I'm looking at Sennheiser mainly due to positive feedback I have from friends who have other models of that brand.

Most newbies buy first a Sennheiser headphone, and then recommend Sennheiser headphone to other newbies , without having tested anything else.
So off course, the Sennheiser brand get lot of positive feedback, but I  believe it's not always justified. Don't be blinded by the hype.
Experienced head-fi user , would tell to forget about brand loyalty, and to compare specific models.  If you want absolutely to go on the senn road, I'd take the hd558. Perhaps you could have better advices, if you indicate some specific musical tastes. For bass heavy music, look elsewhere ...

Quote:
but nothing really important sound-wise.

You might renew this exact statement, when you bring home your headphones. It can  takes times to truly assess a headphone,  with different kind of music.
Quality of the source, can have an impact too.

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
You might renew this exact statement, when you bring home your headphones. It can  takes times to truly assess a headphone,  with different kind of music.
Quality of the source, can have an impact too.

The problem was that I could barely listen to them, due to external sound. They were also playing hip hop, which is something I deeply hate. Music-wise, I'm more into rock, punk, grunge and similar stuff... the "bassiest" I listen to is eurodance. From the reviews I've read, my preferences seem to lie deep within 558's territory.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Music-wise, I'm more into rock, punk, grunge and similar stuff...

Grados are said to be best for rock , and  good for metal too. For punk & grundge, well perhaps their treble emphasis helps ... You might open a new thread , with a better title (i.e looking for best headphone at 120 euros, good for rock , punk , grundge) as you might get better advices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back