Sennheiser HD495 still alive?
Sep 20, 2007 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dimm0k

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone out there with a pair of these? I've had mine for a while now and while I do enjoy the sound it produces I'm not too happy about getting the pads on them replaced so I'm wondering if anyone out there with these headphones have found ways around replacing these hard to find pads.

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 10
Hey dimm0k what amp are you using to drive your 495s?

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 10
When I bought these headphones back in the day I didn't do much research so I was under the impression that headphones were pretty much all the same. I have not used these headphones for much since leaving college in 2001 and when I do I've had them connected to my computer's headphone jack. I'm still new to all this headphone business so I currently have a cheap CMoy off eBay...

I was actually on the Sennheiser site last night but couldn't get past adding the pads to my cart... looks like it's fixed now. Sucks that there's no replacement pad for the headband though... Anyway thank you for the reminder!

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 10
As I recall, the 495's were pretty power hungry to sound their best. Using them straight out of a portable player couldn't cut it. But give them a decent basic amp, like a CMOY or HR Airhead, and they opened up nicely.

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I recall, the 495's were pretty power hungry to sound their best. Using them straight out of a portable player couldn't cut it. But give them a decent basic amp, like a CMOY or HR Airhead, and they opened up nicely.

Yes, you're correct about it being power hungry... inefficient from what I've read. They definitely need an amp to be able to listen to comfortably... like I mentioned previously back in the day I knew nothing and I have to say in shame that I attributed its un-amped sound from my portable player to the fact that they were open air headphones.

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 10
i used mine almost every day this past summer at work (as I didn't want to take my 650 rig in to the office for various reasons)...I've put them through a fair amount of abuse, but they keep chuggin along. Good little senns they are.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 10
I've been using my 495 straight out of an iPod for years and think they sound great. So while more power is nice, I wouldn't say it's necessary for these. They are an excellent, well-balanced headphone. Not nearly the measure of my 650 for resolution, but very listenable.

And the removable cord has saved my bacon several times, since it pops the cord free at the headphone end when I accidentally get it tangled or caught on something. Kinda like the mag-safe power cable on the MacBook (hey, why doesn't someone do that for headphones?)

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by flohmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kinda like the mag-safe power cable on the MacBook (hey, why doesn't someone do that for headphones?)

The firm connection between my PX100s and iPod have saved the latter from hitting the concrete several times.

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 10
My newly acquired Mini^3 drives the HD495s quite nicely. I finally get to hear how these sound properly after having owned them for several years now haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back