Sennheiser HD485 vs Philips HP895?
Jan 1, 2006 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wab

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone tried these two headphones? I'm looking for a pair in the EUR 70,- pricerange. The Philips looks nice enough but I can't really find any good info about them.

Jan 2, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 5
I recommend HD485's whole-hearted.. very goood..... I also recommend the XD400's as a second.. B/C.. I think they both are evenly great... BUT took time for me to get used to the XD400's because it sounds different.. but with the HD485's.. eevrything clicked right away and I loved it...

Jan 2, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 5
The SHP895 is likely to beat the HD485 in terms of soundstage (by quite a margin), and possibly comfort too. However, the Sennheiser model features user-replaceable earpads 'n stuff. Both ship with a headphone holder. Which of the two sonic signatures one prefers is likely to be a matter of taste - the HD485 leans to the smooth and warm side with strong bass and probably slightly rolled-off highs, while the SHP895 is likely to have a V-shaped EQ similar to the SHP805, giving somewhat scooped-out lower mids and a slight aggressiveness along with somewhat overdone treble. If you're likely to have upgraded to something better before the earpads have had a chance of wearing out and have access to a good-quality software or (digital) hardware EQ, then the Philips seems like the better choice, otherwise the Senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back