Sennheiser HD485 VS Grado SR
May 29, 2007 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

daveyostrow

1000+ Head-Fier
i have the hd280 but am looking for some open cans, even might get rid of the Sennheiser i have now.
since im assuming the sr60 is in the same price range as the hd485 any votes, experiences and reasons as to which is better are welcome.

May 29, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 11
I can't comment on the 485s, but I did own the 280s for a while. To me, they were dull compared to the SR-60s. Bass and drums didn't sound great. The Grados are very forward. It's just one of those things you have to experience and then decide. The SR-60s are a lot of fun.

May 29, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 11
SR-60 could be a great idea! What might be even more fun would be to hang onto your Senns and use them as complementary phones till you upgrade Senns later!(?)

May 29, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 11
The HD485 was my first headphone after finding Head-fi. Personally, I think it sounds great for an entry level can. It's extremely comfortable. I used it at work and have worn it all day for a 16 hour day without problems. I think it's a great all around can. I've never heard a Grado, so I can't compare them.

May 29, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 11
Depends on the sound signature your looking for, I have both the HD485 and the SR80.

The HD485 are a tad more comfortable overall, but out of the box they are pretty warm. They do open up a bit after a long burn in period. The downside of the HD485 (well at least for me) after a few months of light use, never abused or mishandled, the headband cracked. It took a month and a half, and several half hour long distance phone calls to receive a replacement from Senheiser. I'm not trying to knock the Senheiser brand, I just wish the repair process was a bit smoother, I would still buy more Senheiser's cans, and still recommend to friends and family.

The SR80 differs from the SR60, by having a bowl shaped pad as opposed to a flat pad. The Grado's are definitely more fun when listening to rock type music, they are less veiled in the mids and highs then the Senheiser's. Some will say they are uncomfortable, but I found washing the earpads a few times with a mild shampoo softened them up significantly.

May 29, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyostrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was thinking the HD485 should be more comfortable but you mean scales as in head size?

I think he means gets better with better amps, whereas I hear the SR60s are nearly amp-independent.

As must be said whenever comfort comes up, SR60 comfort is NOT a showstopper. In fact, I think they are very comfortable and have easily worn them for 5+ hours with only minor adjusting every so often. It's the bowls (SR80-325i) that are hit-or-miss.

May 29, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 11
very good point, i have tried on the sr80 and its not only the bowl but the ear touching the surface of the speaker... i may very well go for the grados even though Sennheiser conviniently has a wire coming from just one side, and hd485 has a very nifty stand.

May 29, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on the sound signature your looking for...

x2 to that whole post, very succinct with the right information

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he means gets better with better amps, whereas I hear the SR60s are nearly amp-independent.

Exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyostrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very good point, i have tried on the sr80 and its not only the bowl but the ear touching the surface of the speaker... i may very well go for the grados even though Sennheiser conviniently has a wire coming from just one side, and hd485 has a very nifty stand.

In the end, I would probably go with the Grados too, comfort and scaling issues notwithstanding.

May 29, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #11 of 11
For the price the 485 doesn't do anything wrong, they have good sound, a lot like porta pro but better, with more highs. they are very comfy. I sold them to a friend when I got my 595 and he is still happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back