Sennheiser HD428s wire replacing
Sep 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jonnyp11

100+ Head-Fier
Cat got the cable so i have to fix my headphones :frowning2:. I measured the cable and it's right at 2mm thick to fit through the hole in the headphones, and it's a tri-pole. I just am not sure where to get some, will be heading to radio shack tomorrow and if i have to, home depot and lowes. Just wanted to know if there was a site with good prices on a good quality cable, the original was suprisingly strong for how thin it was, or if someone here had one like it. So far i can't find anything on ebay because i'm not sure what to search for. And if possible i'd like one that already has the 2.5mm jack on one end and the 3 wires exposed on the other, but a dual jack will work, would prefer to avoid straight cable that i have to attatch a jack to

And i am aware i have to solder it in and all

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 13
Amateur soldering jobs can have an impact on the sound quality, and a professional recable would cost more than those headphones are worth. You might want to consider a replacement or an upgrade, as it might not be worth your time (valuing your time at around $10 per hour of researching/fiddling with wires) to fix them.

Cats are headphones' natural predator, you know. Might want to keep your good ones in a case if you also have a cat.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 13
These are my only headphones other than some gaming ones i never use, and i'm 16 and broke so no money to replace them with :frowning2:

Soldering them doesnt look too hard (found a vid on YT), but i have never soldered before so idk. Should i try to get as much of the old solder off as possible?

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 13
Where can i get a decent quality cable? Radioshack didnt have the right diameter. I just need about 4-5ft of stereo cable at ~2mm diameter preferable but i can make larger work if i must. I wanted to post a WTB but there isn't a post option for me, guess i dont have enough posts?

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 13
By the time you get a Solder Iron, if you haven't one , Solder and Wire, you could just replace your headphones. The same set will run like $30 on ebay.  Mow some lawns or talk your parents into spotting you some cash for some work in return?

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 13
You could maybe get $10-$20 for the broken headphones on ebay, put that towards some new ones. The materials alone (solder, solder iron) will cost you quite a bit, and then you've got your time, and the high % chance of failure for a novice using a soldering gun on fine wires (I know I wouldn't do it)

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Cat got the cable so i have to fix my headphones
frown.gif
. I measured the cable and it's right at 2mm thick to fit through the hole in the headphones, and it's a tri-pole. I just am not sure where to get some, will be heading to radio shack tomorrow and if i have to, home depot and lowes. Just wanted to know if there was a site with good prices on a good quality cable, the original was suprisingly strong for how thin it was, or if someone here had one like it. So far i can't find anything on ebay because i'm not sure what to search for. And if possible i'd like one that already has the 2.5mm jack on one end and the 3 wires exposed on the other, but a dual jack will work, would prefer to avoid straight cable that i have to attatch a jack to

And i am aware i have to solder it in and all

If you can't find a cable or raise funds AND are in the US, message me. I've got a brand new Cable off a HD201 you can have.
I bought a set and first thing I did was cut it off for a recable. It's about 12 Ft long so you can cut it down to the size you need. Plus it has the plug already on so you don't have to worry about soldering that.
See I don't need it
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 13
How would a cheap-o ebay cable affect the sound?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-angle-2-5mm-Male-To-3-5mm-Male-stereo-audio-Aux-coiled-cable-5FT-1-5M-/221208260848?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item33810a30f0

Seems like that should do the trick, the hd 201 cable seems thicker from pics online, the 428's is thinner than the jack. I'd still like to repair them but i am thinking about new phones at christmas or when i scrap an old generator we have out back

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #12 of 13
For the headphones you're using you should be worrying more about how easy it will be to solder, rather than the quality of the wire. This is because the headphones' internal wiring is the same cheap-medium quality that the original cable was made of, so a high tier cable won't help.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #13 of 13
Ture, but when i upgrade to a nicer set later i will swap it over, and really the guy's prices aren't too much more that a normal auxilary cable i'd have to strip and seperate to use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back