Sennheiser HD25-SP, HD280 Pro, HD25-1
Oct 1, 2002 at 6:52 PM Post #16 of 33
I bought HD25 based on recommendations I found from headwize forum. I also remember I read somewhere that Jan had positive comment about it. I did not audition it because I cannot find any local store that carried it. I bought it based on a leap of faith. I wouldn't say I regreted having bought it. I knew it's not an audiophile headphone, but it suits my need for outdoor use: compactness, ruggedness, noise isolation. At the time I didn't really find another headphone that met my need better. (Well, I didn't want ear-bud type phone). After all, I only use it to watch DVDs on the train. For this purpose I have no complain about HD25. BADA BING!
biggrin.gif

However, I do think it's too expensive.
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 8:06 AM Post #17 of 33
I have the HD25-1 & also heard the HD280. Both require a LONG burn-in period to tame or cure the boomy bass. The HD280 has more details & better soundstage. But for portable closed full-sized phones, I think nothing beats the HD25-1 IMHO.

Oct 2, 2002 at 8:34 AM Post #18 of 33
Odd.

Boomy bass? On my 280 I was getting gnat squeaks until about 30-40 hours of burn in. Then the bass started to fill out - although nowhere near the level that I'm happy with. Still, it's perfect for what I use it for.

Surely there are a number of comments floating around for the HD 25? DJ's seem to like them quite a lot. There are comments made about accurate sound and good bass from ex-Sony users (althogh they didn't say what Sony - I'm presuming it's the V700), which I presume must make them bassier than the HD280. The only reason I haven't tried an HD 25 for outside use at this point is, I have to admit, their looks. Once bitten with the HD 280, twice shy...

The 280's probably get praised for the immediate impression of accuracy that listeners get, which likely makes people gush more than they should - for the money it's probably impossible to find a better phone for studio mixing purposes. I personally think they have a number of design problems (and I'm not talking about the looks). But for the money, it's easy to forgive.

Oct 2, 2002 at 8:44 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
The 280's probably get praised for the immediate impression of accuracy that listeners get, which likely makes people gush more than they should - for the money it's probably impossible to find a better phone for studio mixing purposes. I personally think they have a number of design problems (and I'm not talking about the looks). But for the money, it's easy to forgive.

I would agree if the MDR-V6 weren't available for $65. I personally think the sound of the HD 280 and the V6/7506 are much closer than most people would have you believe; the main difference is that the V6/7506 have better bass extension and flatter bass response (the HD 280 roll off much higher), whereas the HD 280 have better isolation. But for the most part, both are excellent monitoring headphones.

Oct 2, 2002 at 9:59 AM Post #20 of 33
The V6's are probably an aberration that way - they're US only as well now, aren't they? We get the MDR-7506 at a typical retail of £130 versus £100 for the HD280.

Oct 2, 2002 at 1:41 PM Post #21 of 33
Well, in my opinion Gergor said it all. The HD25-1 is a smallish and very durable headphone that isn't very comfortable, but it has a very decent sound and is an ideal travelling companion. It is easily driven by portables without the explicit need of an amplifier.

Sound is quite good although not exceptional. I personally prefer it to e.g. the DT250-80 or the HD280 (which I'm honestly unable to like) but sonically the HFI-650 is better.

The HD25-1 is quite a dynamic headphone (but certainly not shrill!?) and I have one for personal use while travelling. It's a headphone you simply throw into your suitcase without the worry that something will break. It is a little bit expensive, but worth the money IMHO.

The HD25-SP has different drivers than the HD25-1. I didn't hear one myself but they're indeed said to be a little bit more boomy. Sonically the HD25-1 is to be preferred.

The HD25 models constantly get very positive reviews on audioreview

http://www.audioreview.com/Headphone...1_2750crx.aspx

Note: Comfort can be increased by replacing the standard pads by velvet pads, available from Sennheiser.

Cheers,

Jan

Oct 2, 2002 at 1:46 PM Post #22 of 33
Jan

Why do you use the HD25-1 for travelling instead of the Ultrasone 650?

Have you heard the HD280? With so many people seeming to think this is the best closed Sennheiser and it being at a good price, I'm surprised you don't stock that one.

Thanks for your comments.

Oct 2, 2002 at 2:02 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Have you heard the HD280?

Wasn't Jan the first to post a review of the HD280's when they first came out? Many people have attributed his dislike of these cans to "early production run" variances, which have yet to be verified in any way.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #24 of 33
Dear Kelly,

I simply prefer the HD25-1 for travelling because it's much smaller than the HFI-650 and because I got attached to this one :)

JPelg,

The first HD280 I heard indeed was of the very first production series. However, when I tested the HFI-650 a few weeks ago I got myself a brand-new model to compare. I remember the face of my girl-friend when she first put this phone on :frowning2:.
I admit this HD280 didn't have a thourough break-in and that I'm very spoiled with all the other equipment that I have, but nonetheless I honestly feel I'll never get on terms with the HD280PRO.

I do sell the HD280, but only on demand. It's simply a product I don't believe in, sorry.

Note: I don't like every phone that is listed on my home-page equally well, but at least with each of these phones I can recognize a certain quality that makes me understand why other people are fond of them. Somehow I simply don't understand that people like the HD280. And, since Meier-Audio still is a kind of hobby, I afford myself the luxury to only promote those phones that I believe in.

Cheers,

Jan

Oct 2, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #25 of 33
Is a1leyez0nm3 having an apoplectic fit yet?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Meier
Note: Comfort can be increased by replacing the standard pads by velvet pads, available from Sennheiser.

Interesting. I didn't know there's a velvet pad for HD25.
tongue.gif
I checked the web site and there's only one replacement pad option (code: H-40179). Is this the one? Does this mean all replacement pads for HD25 are velvet? Jan, I supposed you've tried the velvet pad, does it offer the same kind of isolation compared to the original pad?

Thanks

Oct 12, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #28 of 33
Oooooooooooo... a non-mainstream-head-fi view from someone who's not so easy to kick around.... SWEET
wink.gif

Thanks Jan. I value your opinion.

Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Meier
Dear Kelly,
I admit this HD280 didn't have a thourough break-in and that I'm very spoiled with all the other equipment that I have, but nonetheless I honestly feel I'll never get on terms with the HD280PRO.
I do sell the HD280, but only on demand. It's simply a product I don't believe in, sorry.
The HD25-1 is a smallish and very durable headphone that isn't very comfortable, but it has a very decent sound and is an ideal travelling companion.
Sound is quite good although not exceptional. I personally prefer it to e.g. the DT250-80 or the HD280 (which I'm honestly unable to like) but sonically the HFI-650 is better.
Jan

Oct 12, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #29 of 33
Jan

Quote:

I admit this HD280 didn't have a thourough break-in

You really should hear one that has been fully broken in. It goes through a ton of changes, and it doesn't really start sounding good until 50+ hours.

You might not like them even after a good burning in, but it is worth doing to give them a fair chance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #30 of 33
Dear Headfellows

"Does this mean all replacement pads for HD25 are velvet?"

No, it doesn't. I don't have the Sennheiser catalogue at hand but I'll take a look later.

"I supposed you've tried the velvet pad, does it offer the same kind of isolation compared to the original pad?"

Sorry, never tried these pads myself. I just once ordered a pair for a customer. My own HD25 is a work-horse that is also used for testing headamps upon assembling. I just put it around everywhere without taking much care. Not good to have velvet pads than, as they more easily get dirty etc.

"Do you think you could do a quick comparison of the senn hd25-1 and the beyer dt250?"

I once did a comparative review on the HD25, DT250, HFI-600, HD280, and DT831. Just look at the archives.

"a non-mainstream-head-fi view from someone who's not so easy to kick around"

I'll take that as a compliment :wink:

"You really should hear one that has been fully broken in."

The first HD280PRO that I tested had a thourough burning-in period of 48 hours. It did change/improve but only slightly. I suggest people read my review.

Cheers,

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back