Sennheiser HD25/Amperior Uncomfortable
May 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DSW92

New Head-Fier
So, I bought a pair of Sennheiser Amperiors and I guess they're almost the same as the HD25s. I do admit that the sound quality is amazing, one of the best headphones I've heard, but..I find it really uncomfortable and can only wear them for 20 minutes and I start to get a bit of a headache. I also have a pair of V-Moda M-80s and Ath M50s and find no issues with them. Is there anything I can do to make these headphones more comfortable. I really enjoy the sound of these want to be able to wear them for much longer than just 20 minutes.

May 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 12
Just last week I got my hands on a set of new old stock HD25-I and love them. They sound just FUN. Well, you seem to have a problem with on-ears. Pushing the pads onto your ears for a seal can feel uncomfortable for some.

So I guess, there are only two choices, you get used to it with additional wear, or you end up returning them and buying over ear, like your other headphones.

Reducing the clamping force can lead to a different sound and different ear pads change the signature as well. That can be desired or not. Anyhow, not sure if anything of that will help you.

Try moving the headband around/ the angle of the headphones, sometimes it helps to move them as much back or to the front and see if that gives relief.

Good luck,
K

May 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 12
I feel your pain OP. I returned mine because of this exact same issue. I miss the sound quality though.

May 30, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 12
Update:
After some breaking in they're starting to feel more comfortable. I don't think it's on-ear problems. V-Moda M-80s are on-ears too. Probably because I'm not used to the clamping of these headphones, which is a lot stronger than the V-Modas IMO. Not splitting the headband seems to loosen the clamping a bit. I'm alternating between these and my other headphones right now, but these sound a lot better than my other headphones so hopefully they will be my primary soon when I get more used to the clamping.

May 30, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 12
I just bought another pair refurbished from VM innovations. I couldn't stop thinking about them ever since I returned them. They really do have amazing sound. I remember my jaw dropping when I heard how tight the bass was on these headphones. 

May 31, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 12
I was going to buy refurb there too. Heard they just pack it in a soft pouch and ship it to you, so I just went to buy refurb on Amazon instead, 179 total but came in a hard cardboard box with lots of protective stuffing surrounding the headphones when I got them.
I think I'm going to keep them, comfort isn't much of an issue anymore. Sound seems to get better with burn in also, though they sounded really good out of the box.

May 31, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 12
I think most people who find them uncomfortable think that the clamping force is too tight.  It's a common complaint (for other phones too).  But, there's an easy solution --  just, gently, bend each side of the headband out a little bit out. That'll relieve the pressure.  Just be careful not to do it too much -- though that can be corrected simply by bending it back the other way again.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 12
I think most people who find them uncomfortable think that the clamping force is too tight.  It's a common complaint (for other phones too).  But, there's an easy solution --  just, gently, bend each side of the headband out a little bit out. That'll relieve the pressure.  Just be careful not to do it too much -- though that can be corrected simply by bending it back the other way again.

This is the method I use with my HD25-1 II's before every time I wear it; I bend them so that the clamp is lessened, then it becomes quite comfortable. I do find that you have to do it again each session though because the headband plastic gradually goes back to its normal default shape after a day or so of not wearing it.

And yeah, nothing to worry about in bending the headbad either because the plastic used in the headband is extremely malleable (yet solid).

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 12
Hi

I too had problems with Amperiors clamping on my ears. This is what I did to solve it.
I found a box that's slightly wider than my ears. I put the Amperiors on them and then used a hair dryer to apply some heat to the headband. But don't melt it :)
And then let it cool of while still on the box. Takes about 5-10 minutes. Almost solved. Did the same again. Now its perfect.

Regards

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #11 of 12
If you live in the tropics, go to the nearest coconut palm tree, get a coconut and put the headphones on it for a few days. Works like a charm, I'm told.

In other places, maybe a soccer ball.

I personally just bent the headbands out a little from the sides. Took a few seconds and did the trick.

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #12 of 12
On ears can be uncomfy for some, no way around it except relieving the clamoing force. Did you try the velours pads? They really are a bit more comfy than the pleather ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back