Sennheiser HD25-1 II vs. Audio Technica ATH-M50?
Jun 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aeichelk

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at buying some headphones in the $150-200 price range, and these two seem to get mentioned a lot around here. I've done some looking around, and it seems they're both well reviewed and in my price range. I was wondering if I could get some opinions on how they stack up against each other. I wear glasses, so comfort is an issue. I listen to a wide variety of music, so I want something versatile. Kinda new to the headphone scene, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 9
I have glasses and none of them really gave me any problems. I guess it depends on the frame of your glasses though.

Personally I'd rate the M50 as the better of them sound wise. However, you need to consider that the M50s are circumaural and the HD25-1 are supraaural with HD25-1 being the more portable option. Other than that I think the both are pretty comparable. The M50 has a bit more bass and seems to me as the better one overall.

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm planning to use them a lot for mobile listening, so that does give me something to think about. Appreciate the input. :) I think I'm leaning toward the M50's, just because they seem to fit my listening needs a bit better, but I'd heard really great things about the HD25-1's as well. As I've done some research, I've realized how little I know about this sort of thing, and it's gotten me more interested. Thinking this will be the first of many expensive headphone purchases.

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 9
If you're doing mobile listening, I'd recommend the HD25, the bass on the M50 is rather weak when used without an external amp. The HD25 does much better in the bass frequencies when unamped, even though it has a higher impedance. Oh and I wear glasses too. No problem with the HD25.

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 9
Ah, I wasn't aware the M50s needed an amp. In reading through the buying guide, it seemed like they'd be alright without one. I'll keep that in mind, then. It's both for mobile use and home use, and I was considering getting an amp anyway. I'll see what kinds of prices I can get on the HD25s. Appreciate the help, guys.

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 9
I use my M50's "unamped" all the time through my computer's sound card. My amp is a quality  vintage stereo receiver and I really can't tell a difference in the sound other than the  vintage stereo drives them louder than needed. Output-wise straight out of the sound card of my computer, it drives my M50's to adequate volume.

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 9
Without an amp and plugged into an ipod, I say that the M50 still sounds better than the HD25. Something that hasn't been mentioned here is that the HD25 has recessed mids and soundstage is awfully small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back