Sennheiser HD205
Jan 8, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 8
I had a set for a while and liked them well enough, the sound is bassy in the way Senns can be and whilst not as good sounding as my px100's they do isolate much better. Initially the clamping force of the HD205's was uncomfortable but with a bit of stretching, using books as a spacer, they were fine. In all though I now have what might be considered as "better" headphones if I were looking for some robust closed headphones and there was a good price offered the HD205's would be a good choice.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 8
i had them and hated them. they go for 11$ refurb all day on ebay for good reason

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 8
They are good, although they have a bit of a "glossy" sound, as though they are designed for hiding imperfections in sound. It's not the most natural sounding headphone. You can notice it in drums particularly...it feels like the drums don't "reach out" as much into the soundstage. Where in contrast, the Audio Technica ATH T22s are very natural and sharp sounding.

But they have a very powerful, mostly clear, and pleasant darker sound. A lot of people say they are bassy but I honestly think they have a good balance.

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 8
I'v ordered them for comparison. Not for big heads. Turning "leg" is not practical. Right from boz sound is horrible, wanted to womit. But 50+ warming helped and FRC found online looked like what I actually hear. But full range sounded veiled and no fun at all. Drive is fast, so they can play virtually anything. Since they were easy to disassemble I made to no 0 cost mods. On the back side of plate with drives there were 2 tiny holes - bass ports. I opened them a little bit, extra 1mm to diameter. On the front side there are 3 groups of ports: at the top and on the left and right. So I sealed the right and left ones with masking tape, but the usual thin one for home/construction.

The result:
Disadvantage - need more volume now, but
ADVANTAGE - balanced, detailed sound, crisp in good sense, but not too bright. Lows now are more dense and no more "boom" at bass heavy tracks. Bass is full of life and controlled. Trebble - finally good and does not sound like supressed independent part of track anymore. Like totally different headphone, not for deaf DJ's anymore.
Advantage/Disadvantage - pairing with good amp now anything below 256kbps MP3 sounds bad since this mod left no place for veil/fog where lossy defects were hiding before.

If you still have 205, just try, since in original state even a dump is to good for them.
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back