Sennheiser HD202
Nov 27, 2007 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cmanlu

New Head-Fier
Im planning to buy this headphones. I heared many great reviews about them but since head-fi is a trusted forum i wanna know what are the good and the bads for this hd202. Well i listen to reggea, ska, and punk and i like good bass also that isolates sounds.

Im asking if this hd202 are good for the price?

THANKS!

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 11
Hmm... they're like $20 right? My brother actually has a pair but he messed up the cable and one ear has no sound. Maybe I can fix them and give them a listen. For $20 though, they block sound decently and play music
blink.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 11
i've heard them and the hd201s are better...

pros: they're 20 dollars. they also play music.

cons: there isnt much depth to the sound. its pretty tinny. bass is meh... they are nice and bright... but still really crummy.

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 11
I really didn't like the HD202 or the HD212Pro when I had them. Bass was bloated and boomy, drowning out the mids. They clamped on my head like a vice, despite my best efforts to stretch out the headband, so I couldn't wear them for more than 20 minutes at a time. I hear a lot better things about the HD201, which is about the same price. You could also go for the Koss KSC75, which is $13 on Amazon

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlineng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really didn't like the HD202 or the HD212Pro when I had them. Bass was bloated and boomy, drowning out the mids. They clamped on my head like a vice, despite my best efforts to stretch out the headband, so I couldn't wear them for more than 20 minutes at a time. I hear a lot better things about the HD201, which is about the same price. You could also go for the Koss KSC75, which is $13 on Amazon

x2 on the clamp. Man these things are tight and the ones I put on were 2 years old.

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 11
they were my first decent headphones. you can certainly do better. you should get some used phones cheaper than new and up your quality but keeping your budget. for $20 i dont know but better is out there

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 11
I've had these headphones for 3-4 years now, and I'd say they're pretty decent for what they sell for.

Solid build quality, and isolates fairly well. As for the clamping, I found the AKG K81 far worse during the short time I kept them. I mainly just use these cans when it's colder outside though (Keeps my ears warm
biggrin.gif
). IMO they make great beater headphones. Used mine through rain, snow, fairly cold temperatures, and jammed in my backpack, and I don't really care much if they get banged up.

As for sound quality goes ... it's nothing to write home about, but you could do far worse. Has a V-shaped curve sound signature. The bass is bloated/boomy as mentioned, and the mid-range is sucked out or perhaps drowned out by the bass (EQing helps a bit).

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 11
The HD201 would be hopeless for reggae. I quite like the accurate but weak bass but it's not suitable for the music the Op listens tto.

The bass on the HD202 is a little overcooked but that isn't necessarily a drawback for the music the OP likes. The HD202 but it is a much better match to the OP's requirements than the HD201 and IMHO not a bad buy for the money. Remember we're talking $20 not $200.

Simon

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 11
The HD201 is definitely very bass anemic in comparison to the HD202. Not to mention that they require a lot of juice to be driven. HD202 is far more efficient and easier to drive out of a portable device.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #10 of 11
It does sound as though the 202 is a better choice given this users preferences in music. Punchier sound, not necessarily as balanced but balanced sound from a $20 headphone isn't exactly without its limitations

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #11 of 11
wow I had a pair of HD202 as my very very very first pair of "decent" headphones..... The Koss KSC-75 KILLS........ them in every single thing, except isolation.

The hd202 is nothing but mud mud mud crappy bass with more mud and recessed highs and very hollow sounding mid with more mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back