Sennheiser HD *** durability deal breaker....
Jul 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

7un4

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I have always been curious to the who Sennheiser cracking headband ordeal from the HD series. I have never owned a pair long enough to see this happen. My latest pair, which I sold was an HD429 that I used for about a year and I have been questioning the plastic build. Does this apply to all the HD4** and up models? How long does it take on average for this to happen? It's starting to sound like the durability of the infamous Monster Beats Studios and Solos which are quite famous for horrible durability. I have to admit that I have fallen in love with the Sennheiser HD650's sound signature for live concert recordings, but since I had my doubts of the build quality, I chose Grado's RS2i model recently. So anybody a veteran in experiencing this Sennheiser Headband cracking ordeal who minds letting me know their past experiences and whether or not an investment towards these headphones is worth it in the long run? Thanks

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 30
Sorry, never had a cracked headband on any Sennheiser, not in 20 years, 20 different models. Didn't know there was a problem.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 30
Me neither. Some people don't know how to treat headphones...... Not from the HD414 to the HD800 & HE60. In fact, I've never had a decent headphone headband break. Those $2.00 shop specials don't count.........................

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 30
had the 598's, no crack

I forget where I saw it but I remember reading that Sennheiser has made efforts to correct the problem (although I'm not sure if it was successful)

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 30
I think the main problem is with gamers abusing their phones and continually dropping them and having their chairs run over them. Others wear them in bed and end up sleeping with them on. What can they really expect?

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 30
My hd595 was cracked, exactly between the two N of the sennheiser logo, like many people reported.
I think it's the proof that there's a flaw, if it's always cracking at the same place.
But ok, my headphone fell perhaps two or three time on the floor, I just expect it to be more solid.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 30
I do recall in the past about the HD600 and HD650 cracking but haven't seen it recently. I was a bit worried about that at first but they never cracked or showed signs of it when I owned them and I have no such worries with the HD800.

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #9 of 30
I do own the hd 555. The headband may be not cracked, but something else is. The housing of where the rail/bar for adjusting the headphones sits, is cracked on both side. I never threw them around, but still it just seemed to happen. Nevertheless they still work fine and the adjusting function also too.
Weird to read that there seems a problem with the headband, while mine are cracked somewhere else.

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:
I do own the hd 555. The headband may be not cracked, but something else is. The housing of where the rail/bar for adjusting the headphones sits, is cracked on both side. I never threw them around, but still it just seemed to happen. Nevertheless they still work fine and the adjusting function also too.
Weird to read that there seems a problem with the headband, while mine are cracked somewhere else.

Same here, though it happened because I was trying to reduce the clamping force by putting something between the part just above the earcups
rolleyes.gif
. They shouldn't crack as long as you dont stretch the headband too much while putting them on.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 30
Interesting posts from everyone. I'm just going to go with the durability issue being resolved and when I get a decent headphone amp of my own to power them, I will go for the HD650 since I loved the audio coming out of those the most out of all the Sennys I can afford. I just heard many stories of the cracked headband so I figured I should address my concern here. The headband of the HD650 of one of my friends' feels much more solid than that of the Dre Studios for sure (no surprise), but I just had to make sure.:D

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #14 of 30
Yeah, the 598s had a reputation for cracking, but Sennheiser addressed this problem. I bought a pair after that little mess, and they are crack-free going on 7 months now...

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #15 of 30
Yeah I think the more common cracking problems were addressed by Sennheiser and for the most part they only applied to the lower end models (5xx and below). My HD600s are built like a tank. I highly doubt they'll be cracking anytime in the next decade or two. Or three. *knock on wood* :D

If you're really worried about cracking I'd stay away from any headphones with an inordinate amount of plastic in their construction. In other words ... don't buy any Shures. hahaha

This is how I imagine the design process for all Shure headphones go...

Boss: If we're going to compete with these European and Japanese powerhouses we're going to need a kick ass design!

Designer 1: I know just the thing!

Boss: Oh really, Johnson? Pray tell, what is it??

Designer 1: I've got one word for ya boss..... "plasticy!"

Designer 2: But I don't think that's even a word...

Boss: ITS PERFECT!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back