Sennheiser HD 800, Help Me Chose Amp
Apr 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #31 of 49
I never had problems with ebay but with only once with seller on ebay who tried to scam me for $1000. Luckily for me ebay stood by my side and I was able to get my money back. Lets suppose I want to do transaction with you on this site where is guarantee that you will not scam me?

You would still be able to rely on PayPal protection. It isn't any safer here than through eBay, it is the request to change venues that raises concern, not the system used.

Anyway, I don't want to continue talking about this in your thread. Good luck on your amp search.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #32 of 49
Guys what is the difference between Eddie Current ZDT and 2A3?

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #33 of 49
Anyone?

May 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #35 of 49
What dac would make it possible to connect my iphone or ipod classic directly into it ?

May 19, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #37 of 49
What if I have WAVE files, each song weighs average 40mb and is 1440kbps?

May 19, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #39 of 49
Than it's fine. Using an ipod classic and iphone gave me the impression you were going to line in to a DAC using low bit rate compressed format music.

No I only use best, I want to use ipod for portability, do you know any dacs that would accept ipod classic as source?

May 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #40 of 49
Nope. Don't know any. You might need a converter in between the chain so the digital files gets bypassed properly to the DAC or so. I run my gear in the following orders: 

Comp sound card > DAC > XLR/RCA > amp > headphone.

or 

Portable players (MP3 players) 3.5mm y split to RCA cable > amp or so when I'm just listening music for fun or testing out gear.

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Audio is totally subjective. Tube audio does not "measure" better than SS, but it totally kills SS in sound quality.

Oh, really, tube audio totally kills SS in sound quality? How come, since when? At the time when I've 'measured' with my ears many tube amps, they all did the same, more or less. Softened transients to unusable extent, like the whole sound is dipped into honey, killing most of the attack and decay on the notes. Often removing much of the details on high frequency textures and so on. Perhaps thats good for poorly recorded stuff but why would anyone go for HD800 if his music collection is heavily compressed crap.

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #44 of 49
 Oh, really, tube audio totally kills SS in sound quality? How come, since when? At the time when I've 'measured' with my ears many tube amps, they all did the same, more or less. Softened transients to unusable extent, like the whole sound is dipped into honey, killing most of the attack and decay on the notes. Often removing much of the details on high frequency textures and so on. Perhaps thats good for poorly recorded stuff but why would anyone go for HD800 if his music collection is heavily compressed crap.

Guys, don't argue. Everyone likes a different flavor of sound. They are both "good enough". If you get down to the measuring, vinyl measures like total crap compared to the cheapest 10$ CD player. But, people love the sound. Same applies to tube vs. SS. And you are wrong, a well constructed tube amp will sound VERY similar to a good SS amp. Its the sounded gear that pulls the camps apart. Overdriven tube amp sound should not even be part of the discussion because it basically "doing it wrong".

Simple solution: Buy both. :wink:

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #45 of 49
Honestly I've never been much of a fan of tubes with my HD800. Though I never really tried that many amps in the first place. My favorite setup has been the CLAS + O2 so far. Highs were jaw dropping, bass and highs had good extension, and the whole setup was portable. Unfortunately the soundstage was awful with the o2.
Good luck with your search. The only way to know what's best for you is to try. A lot of people told me the Yulong d100mk2 was a good dac/headphone amp and IMO it's not that good.
It's very rare to find someone with the exact same tastes as you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back