Sennheiser HD 800, Help Me Chose Amp
Apr 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Pustik

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

First of all I would like to thank everyone who wrote on headfi forums regarding amp for hd800, it's been VERY helpful and because of you people I have clear picture of what I want to get. Secondly I'd like to say that I'm very impressed with the way people behave and amount of knowledgeable people that share their knowledge more than willingly. I've been following headfi for at least a year now but I only registered because of classified ads. Back then I wanted to purchase hd800 used for cheap and there were plenty of opportunities to do so but I could never convince myself to buy something used. I buy only new stuff. So I finally got myself to buy new hd800 but here comes why I decided to open this topic.

In order for me to write in amps for sale or trade I must have 15+ posts so I hope I would gain them here as well as discuss some of the interesting questions with you that I had in mind for long time. Also I would like to state even though I've been reading headfi for a long time I'm still very much a newbie :)

Ok so lets get to amplifiers that I wanted to discuss. I need to chose one amp out of these:

DNA Stratus
Woo Audio 22, 5le
Eddie Current Zana Deux Se, Balanced Act, 2a3
Luxman p1u, p700u
Headamp GSx
Cavalli Liquid Fire, Glass

If you can make argument that some other amp that I didn't list is as good as these amps please do.

I listen mainly to flamenco guitar(Armik), Violin(Karo Hayrapetyan), piano(Tigran Hamasyan), saxophone(Dave Koz,Jeff Kashiwa, Gato Barbieri, Scott Hamilton, Tom Scott), duduk( Djivan Gasparyan) you get the idea.

What amp would you suggest I should purchase and why?

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 49
Audiophile answer: The most expensive amp that looks cool, something with tubes for warmth.

Real life answer: Whatever measures the best, eq the nasty treble peak out of the bright HD800s.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 49
I absolutely love the HD800 + DNA Stratus. I listened to it at a meet, it was beautiful. Super fast and sounded like a whole different headphone than when I listened to it on other systems(the other systems were worse, to name one, the EC Super 7)

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 49
Do you think Schiit Lyr would be a good choice if I wanted to save money?

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 49
Cavalli Liquid Glass w/ RCA Coin Base 6SN7 tubes. Best combination I have heard, only thing better is BHSE and SR-009. I also enjoyed the ZDSE and HD800. Unfortunately I haven't heard the Stratus, but I'm sure it is also very good.

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 49
Quote:
Do you think Schiit Lyr would be a good choice if I wanted to save money?

I think so. You will spend some $$ on NOS tubes because you will be able to hear each flavor. There seem to be many 800 owners on the tube rolling thread. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 49
I think so. You will spend some $$ on NOS tubes because you will be able to hear each flavor. There seem to be many 800 owners on the tube rolling thread. 

What would be the high end nos tubes that would go with Lyr?

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 49
In which of those amps will I be able to use Sophia Princess 300B tubes?

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 49
Quote:
What would be the high end nos tubes that would go with Lyr?

I do not have HD800s yet, but so far, Siemens CCa , Amperex white label 6922 and 7308 and Tellefunken CCa are best with my HD600 & K702s you just need to pick your flavor.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 49
What do you guys think of Constantin Entereq Cable for Sennheiser hd 800?

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 49
Lowballing and questionable buying tactics. Anyone asked by the OP to buy their gear should tread carefully.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #12 of 49
Lowballing and questionable buying tactics. Anyone asked by the OP to buy their gear should tread carefully.

What?

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #14 of 49
Is it a crime to send offers? And also I never bought from here.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #15 of 49
I'm here to find answers to my questions. Anyone tried Konstantin Entereq Cable for sennheiser hd800?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back