Sennheiser HD 800 + Headroom desktop portable amp?
Nov 7, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 23
Can it power them to loud volumes...sure. I did own the Headroom Microamp for my now AWOL bedside rig (see my wife for more details
tongue_smile.gif
). The Micro amp on High Gain could play my HD800s quite loud.

Sonically not bad either. A good starter amp until you can save up some more funds for a better amp to get more out of your HD800s (because there is a lot more there).

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
Can it power them to loud volumes...sure. I did own the Headroom Microamp for my now AWOL bedside rig (see my wife for more details
tongue_smile.gif
). The Micro amp on High Gain could play my HD800s quite loud.

Sonically not bad either. A good starter amp until you can save up some more funds for a better amp to get more out of your HD800s (because there is a lot more there).

Well I wasn't talking about the Micro amp, but I will definitely check it out. 

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 23

Quote:

Well I wasn't talking about the Micro amp, but I will definitely check it out. 

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-portable-desktop-amp.php

If that's the amp you're referring to...I would think it would be quite good. I think aimlink owns that and swears by it. You might drop him a PM.

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-portable-desktop-amp.php

If that's the amp you're referring to...I would think it would be quite good. I think aimlink owns that and swears by it. You might drop him a PM.

Yes i'm referring to that one.

Swears by it??? 

Only problem with the Micro amp appears to be that it lacks a DAC-functionality. Not that I need a DAC since the (ahem) iPhone has a built-in DAC of it's own. 

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 23

Quote:

Yes i'm referring to that one.

Swears by it??? 

Only problem with the Micro amp appears to be that it lacks a DAC-functionality. Not that I need a DAC since the (ahem) iPhone has a built-in DAC of it's own. 

Swears by it = he really likes it.
smile.gif

$1200 is pretty pricey. for that kind of dough, I would also recommend you look at the Meier Concerto+StageDac for about $1240. Just something else to think about.

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
Swears by it = he really likes it.
smile.gif

$1200 is pretty pricey. for that kind of dough, I would also recommend you look at the Meier Concerto+StageDac for about $1240. Just something else to think about.

Well okay
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah it's a lot of cash, but the Desktop portable I can use portable as well as home, connected to my stereo amplifier. Plus it packs a high-quality DAC. 

I also noticed that the Micro amp isn't portable. Sucks... 

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
Well okay
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah it's a lot of cash, but the Desktop portable I can use portable as well as home, connected to my stereo amplifier. Plus it packs a high-quality DAC. 

I also noticed that the Micro amp isn't portable. Sucks... 

For portability, it does seem like a great choice as well.

The newer micro amp isn't portable...that does suck. I owned the 2006 Model that was both battery and AC powered. Quite a bit more robust that way.

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
For portability, it does seem like a great choice as well.

The newer micro amp isn't portable...that does suck. I owned the 2006 Model that was both battery and AC powered. Quite a bit more robust that way.

But there is a portable version of the amp out there. Costs a tiny bit more, but looks the same. I'm checking reviews on that thing right now...

The Desktop portable isn't exactly pocket-sized, but if it is what the HD 800's require, do i have a choice?
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
But there is a portable version of the amp out there. Costs a tiny bit more, but looks the same. I'm checking reviews on that thing right now...

The Desktop portable isn't exactly pocket-sized, but if it is what the HD 800's require, do i have a choice?
wink.gif

LoL...you own the HD800s and are a Head-fier...you have no choice but to go for the $1200 Desktop Portable amp.
evil_smiley.gif

The portable version of the amp, is very close to the micro amp, but with a USB dac.

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
LoL...you own the HD800s and are a Head-fier...you have no choice but to go for the $1200 Desktop Portable amp.
evil_smiley.gif

The portable version of the amp, is very close to the micro amp, but with a USB dac.

I do not own the HD 800's, but i'm seriously considering buying myself a pair of them... seriously. 

But the Portable micro amp should do, right? I mean what i've read it's is supposed to be a very good little powerhouse, with good price as well. 

I can't say i'm a beginner in headphones, but i'm not very good with headphone amps...

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
I do not own the HD 800's, but i'm seriously considering buying myself a pair of them... seriously. 

But the Portable micro amp should do, right? I mean what i've read it's is supposed to be a very good little powerhouse, with good price as well. 

I can't say i'm a beginner in headphones, but i'm not very good with headphone amps...

Sorry I can't say much about the portable desktop amp as I have not heard the combination. But spec wise, it does look up to the task. I would PM aimlink and see what he thinks as I believe he owns that amp/dac.

If you need a portable solution, you would be hard pressed to find any better. Now if you can live with a desktop only solution, I would suggest that you look into tube amps as they match very well with the HD800s. A Woo6 or MAD tube amp + desktop dac would also go a very long way IMO.

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 23
If to buy the Micro amp, the DAC costs A LOT extra, and I mainly use my iPhone for listening to music while in portable mode. They iphone has a built in DAC, but I use MP3-songs so I don't think that will matter. 

Now don't suspect me for being a fool, the HD 800's will of course spend most of their time here, in my home. That's why i'm looking for an amp that can serve both as a portable boost for my iphone and as a very good amp for home use. I'm not looking for the best, i'm just looking for something very good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
If to buy the Micro amp, the DAC costs A LOT extra, and I mainly use my iPhone for listening to music while in portable mode. They iphone has a built in DAC, but I use MP3-songs so I don't think that will matter. 

Now don't suspect me for being a fool, the HD 800's will of course spend most of their time here, in my home. That's why i'm looking for an amp that can serve both as a portable boost for my iphone and as a very good amp for home use. I'm not looking for the best, i'm just looking for something very good.
smily_headphones1.gif

But the Micro amp is far form ideal for a home setting.

It appears that your budget is $1200 for an amp/dac...

You could get a $700 amp + DacMagic ($350) + Headroom Micro Amp ($180 used on the F/S forum). Now you could have a killer home setup and a very nice portable amp to drive them when you're not at home. Of all the portable amps I've heard, none were better than the Headroom Micro for driving the HD800s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back