Sennheiser HD 700 or HD 600/650 (Now considering He 400i and Fidelio X2 as well)
Aug 5, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #16 of 29
  The x2 may be too bassy if you found the m50x too bassy. It is pretty heavy in the sub bass, but I wouldn't call it particularly laid back, well, maybe the mid range is, but the treble is quite forward. The he400i wouldn't complement your nobles tbh, as they are fairly reference, and for 500 bucks, the he500 is better imo. More impactful bass and engaging midrange. The hd650 seems perfect for you, although, Idk how well they'll run off of your setup. I only tried them on a bottlehead crack, darkvoice and a deckard. If you can verify that the hd650 will run well, they are just a bit laid back and will complement a very resolving set of ciems very nicely; you really can't go wrong with its sound signature

Thanks for the reply. That's interesting. I've heard that the x2 and 650 have a very similar sound signature. Also I had the original M50 in case they sound different to the M50x (I don't know if they updated the sound as well as the design). Would you describe the X2 as bassy overall? It's been a long time since I listened to the M50. And with all the great reviews I am hearing about the X2 I have been considering experimenting with its more warm and bassy sound signature.

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #17 of 29
  Thanks for the reply. That's interesting. I've heard that the x2 and 650 have a very similar sound signature. Also I had the original M50 in case they sound different to the M50x (I don't know if they updated the sound as well as the design). Would you describe the X2 as bassy overall? It's been a long time since I listened to the M50. And with all the great reviews I am hearing about the X2 I have been considering experimenting with its more warm and bassy sound signature.

I'd call it v shaped rather than warm and bassy. The treble is certainly present. And also, the m50x and m50 sound pretty similar.

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #18 of 29
  Upon further research, I am considering the Philips Fidelio X2, Hifiman He400i and Sennheiser HD 650. Does anyone have any thoughts on these? Especially compared to the previous mentioned headphones?

I have never heard the X2 and HD 600. However, I owned the HE400i, HD 650, and HD 700, and would rank them in that order. A used HE400i is your best bet, IMO. I thought my modified HE400i sounded mostly as good as the $2,999 HE1000. (And in case you care, I like STAX and the Yamaha HPH-MT220 more than all of those.)

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #19 of 29

I have never heard the X2 and HD 600. However, I owned the HE400i, HD 650, and HD 700, and would rank them in that order. A used HE400i is your best bet, IMO. I thought my modified HE400i sounded mostly as good as the $2,999 HE1000. (And in case you care, I like STAX and the Yamaha HPH-MT220 more than all of those.)

Ok that was probably my second choice. How was the soundstage on the 400i? I have heard it's not all that expansive. Remember I will be driving it with a decent but portable dac/amp

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #20 of 29
  Ok that was probably my second choice. How was the soundstage on the 400i? I have heard it's not all that expansive. Remember I will be driving it with a decent but portable dac/amp

I'm not the guy to ask, because I think all headphones (even the HD 800 and HE1000) have a tiny soundstage. lol. The HE400i I owned had the grill mod, which expands the soundstage, among other things. Never heard it unmodified.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/619447/hifiman-regrilling-mod

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #21 of 29
I own a pair of Fidelio X2 and i can tell you that you won't be disappointed. The Fidelio just have the hole package, of course in my opinion. In my taste the bass in the X2 are outstanding, not too bassy for me, but thats my taste. i found this review you can check out if you want to know more about both the pros and cons of the X2, but i can tell you that there won't be many cons. http://earbuds-review.com/2015/07/philips-fidelio-x2-review/

Sorry for my bad English. 

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #22 of 29
  I own a pair of Fidelio X2 and i can tell you that you won't be disappointed. The Fidelio just have the hole package, of course in my opinion. In my taste the bass in the X2 are outstanding, not too bassy for me, but thats my taste. i found this review you can check out if you want to know more about both the pros and cons of the X2, but i can tell you that there won't be many cons. http://earbuds-review.com/2015/07/philips-fidelio-x2-review/

Sorry for my bad English. 

Thanks for the input. I ordered the X2's yesterday. It might be a bit bassier than what I am used to but other than that it seem's like they're the best fit (not to mention they're the cheapest option). I hope to try out the HD 650's at a local store and if I don't like any of those I'll get the He-400i and compare. I'll post my reactions when they get here.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #23 of 29
I have had my X2's for a few weeks now and have really enjoyed them. After burn in/getting used to them I feel like the bass is at the perfect amount for me (higher than neutral but not too much). I got to try the HD 650 at a hifi store and although I liked the sound, the clamping force was pretty strong. I have heard it goes away after some time but I am pretty sensitive to the comfort headphones and I would need a lot less clamping force. I haven't tried the HD 700 or the He-400i yet which is unfortunate but I think I will be happy with X2's. Thanks for the help. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #24 of 29
  I have had my X2's for a few weeks now and have really enjoyed them. After burn in/getting used to them I feel like the bass is at the perfect amount for me (higher than neutral but not too much). I got to try the HD 650 at a hifi store and although I liked the sound, the clamping force was pretty strong. I have heard it goes away after some time but I am pretty sensitive to the comfort headphones and I would need a lot less clamping force. I haven't tried the HD 700 or the He-400i yet which is unfortunate but I think I will be happy with X2's. Thanks for the help. 

The X2 is the only one of those I haven't owned. I didn't think the HD 650 had strong clamping force, but then again, that type of thing rarely bugs me.

...Ya know, it kinda sucks for me that I didn't like the sound of the HD 700 much, because I love the aesthetics and comfort. Maybe I'll get it again someday and see how it improves on various setups.

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #25 of 29

The X2 is the only one of those I haven't owned. I didn't think the HD 650 had strong clamping force, but then again, that type of thing rarely bugs me.

...Ya know, it kinda sucks for me that I didn't like the sound of the HD 700 much, because I love the aesthetics and comfort. Maybe I'll get it again someday and see how it improves on various setups.

I think I am actually going to purchase the HD 700s and compare them to my X2's then return one. It is gaming the system a little bit but I am actually finding that the X2's irritate my sensitive head after longer listening sessions. I love the sound of the X2's but comfort is a big deal to me. I just can't keep listening to them  if they actually cause me discomfort. If anyone else knows of extremely comfortable headphones in this price/sound range just let me know (I've heard maybe the Audioquest nighthawk is good?). I would buy the He-400i's to try them but my guess is I will find the same comfort problem.

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #26 of 29
  I think I am actually going to purchase the HD 700s and compare them to my X2's then return one. It is gaming the system a little bit but I am actually finding that the X2's irritate my sensitive head after longer listening sessions. I love the sound of the X2's but comfort is a big deal to me. I just can't keep listening to them  if they actually cause me discomfort. If anyone else knows of extremely comfortable headphones in this price/sound range just let me know (I've heard maybe the Audioquest nighthawk is good?). I would buy the He-400i's to try them but my guess is I will find the same comfort problem.

What about the X2 is uncomfortable for you?

I had no comfort problems with the HE400i and HD 700, though the HE400i was heavier and I could feel the weight on my back, though it did not bother my neck.

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #27 of 29
After a while my head starts getting irritated where the headband is. I honestly don't know why because it's a soft headband. I think I just have a very sensitive head. I think I might try the HD 700 out next for it's comfort, unless you think the HE-400i are more comfortable.

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #28 of 29
  After a while my head starts getting irritated where the headband is. I honestly don't know why because it's a soft headband. I think I just have a very sensitive head. I think I might try the HD 700 out next for it's comfort, unless you think the HE-400i are more comfortable.

Could be a pressure point at the uppermost part of the headband, though it looks comfortable to me.

Both are comfortable, but the HD 700 more so. Unfortunately, its sound isn't nearly as good, in my opinion.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #29 of 29

Could be a pressure point at the uppermost part of the headband, though it looks comfortable to me.

Both are comfortable, but the HD 700 more so. Unfortunately, its sound isn't nearly as good, in my opinion.

After testing them again, I don't think it's a specific pressure point. The headband is fairly soft and spreads over the head nicely. But for some reason it starts hurting all along the headband after about an hour. I guess they are just too heavy. I think I will be returning them. When I get back from my break I will visit a local audio store and spend some good time with the Audioquest Nighthawks and the Sennheiser HD 650. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I will have the opportunity to try the He-400i unless I buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back