Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 16, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #6,601 of 6,778
On a headphone right out the box without any break in? Wonder how you'll feel when the sound changes as they break-in?

Not saying things will get worse, but that a change will happen; subtle, but still.
I did buy them off classifieds but the seller said they were barely used. But yea, first listens are usually what get me because I'm experiencing the the sound for the first time and if I like what I hear it taps into the songs I love to listen to. I have a couple vocal pieces that tend to hit me right in the feels. Some piano pieces manage to make me weep too lol hence why I started playing myself

May 16, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #6,603 of 6,778
Well guys I'm going to say it and I'm going to mean it. The 660s2 are simply one of the best cans I've ever heard.

I think they're just about perfect in their tonal presentation, the dynamics are fantastic, the frequency response is excellent and these have some of the best imaging I've ever heard. I got my pair for $300 and I'm not going to say anything short of it being the biggest headphone steal I've ever had.

I don't even really know where to begin separating things. The level of detail manages to rival the Arya I recently sold and from what I can remember of the HD800s, it's sitting right up there too. I love my 1990s as a keyboard headphone but for listening to music it's way too hot. Sure it has tons of detail as well, but it's metallic in nature and burns your eardrums out of your head in comparison. I would say the S2 is just on the cusp of being hot at times. Even with the sharpest female vocals or synth screams it's just teetering under the feeling that it's hot to my ears.

While the bass isn't on level with some nice planars, it's IMO perfectly balanced with the rest of the tone and not in any way or shape lacking. Along with the lower mids you get detailed, textured and a thick tone. Guitar strings pluck and feel full, bass strings slap and flap around. You get a full bodied resonance from violas and such.

The mids are really interesting because your lower mids are thick and full while upper mids blend into full detail. What results is a really detailed mid section with warm tasty leads going over thicker more ambient tones without blending together and becoming a mushy mess.

The timbre itself is something to note here. I'm constantly admiring the feel of different instruments and how unique each one is.

Dynamics on this thing are a joy. I've fallen in love with drums on this pair due to how snappy and tight they are. Distorted guitars sound incredible and powerful, synth can rip leads before melting into a tasty pad.

Alright enough let's talk about the imaging and I'll say this because I haven't heard enough headphones to say otherwise. The S2 rival the Arya V2 for imaging which imo is one of the best out there at what it does. While the soundstage is not large, it's not nearly as claustrophobic feeling as the 660s1. You sit in the middle of several instruments. The vocals are so beautifully in your face almost as if someone is in front of you serenading you. With the Lyr+/Bifrost 2/64 combo you get a really nice holographic taste which is lost in the s1. The S2 however are back in full force. Drums are laid out all over the canvas, each tom and cymbal having its own dedicated space. Imaging width, depth and even height are all present for me here. As said it's a smaller soundstage so it's not super exaggerated but it's all there, and by no means do I think I wish I had a larger stage. Panning instruments are easy to follow across the entire plane. I'm frequently enjoying cymbals crashing up above while a tasty bass lick flaps around me lower to the floor.

All of these things combined create such an enjoyable headphone experience. You combine that with their lightweight and easily adjustable clamp force. They're just it.

Of course it's a love at first sight for me. I'd like to do some comparisons to the 660s but honestly I have nothing good to say about them. They have a tight, claustrophobic presentation with weak imaging and a soft boring presentation in comparison. I don't hate the 660s I never did quite love them though. The S2 aren't just better, they're beating just about everything I've heard up until the Arya and HD800s. And those two headphones have some pretty major flaws that the S2 just doesn't have. The Arya are thinner sounding and have some really harsh sibilance going on along with some big comfort issues. The HD 800s is too thin in the bass and that makes them somewhat boring if you want some excitement.

Obviously this is based off my preferences but I'm just having a hard time not saying they're just about perfect. They don't need anything, they don't leave me wanting anything they're just fantastic.

May 16, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #6,604 of 6,778
Well guys I'm going to say it and I'm going to mean it. The 660s2 are simply one of the best cans I've ever heard.

I think they're just about perfect in their tonal presentation, the dynamics are fantastic, the frequency response is excellent and these have some of the best imaging I've ever heard. I got my pair for $300 and I'm not going to say anything short of it being the biggest headphone steal I've ever had.

I don't even really know where to begin separating things. The level of detail manages to rival the Arya I recently sold and from what I can remember of the HD800s, it's sitting right up there too. I love my 1990s as a keyboard headphone but for listening to music it's way too hot. Sure it has tons of detail as well, but it's metallic in nature and burns your eardrums out of your head in comparison. I would say the S2 is just on the cusp of being hot at times. Even with the sharpest female vocals or synth screams it's just teetering under the feeling that it's hot to my ears.

While the bass isn't on level with some nice planars, it's IMO perfectly balanced with the rest of the tone and not in any way or shape lacking. Along with the lower mids you get detailed, textured and a thick tone. Guitar strings pluck and feel full, bass strings slap and flap around. You get a full bodied resonance from violas and such.

The mids are really interesting because your lower mids are thick and full while upper mids blend into full detail. What results is a really detailed mid section with warm tasty leads going over thicker more ambient tones without blending together and becoming a mushy mess.

The timbre itself is something to note here. I'm constantly admiring the feel of different instruments and how unique each one is.

Dynamics on this thing are a joy. I've fallen in love with drums on this pair due to how snappy and tight they are. Distorted guitars sound incredible and powerful, synth can rip leads before melting into a tasty pad.

Alright enough let's talk about the imaging and I'll say this because I haven't heard enough headphones to say otherwise. The S2 rival the Arya V2 for imaging which imo is one of the best out there at what it does. While the soundstage is not large, it's not nearly as claustrophobic feeling as the 660s1. You sit in the middle of several instruments. The vocals are so beautifully in your face almost as if someone is in front of you serenading you. With the Lyr+/Bifrost 2/64 combo you get a really nice holographic taste which is lost in the s1. The S2 however are back in full force. Drums are laid out all over the canvas, each tom and cymbal having its own dedicated space. Imaging width, depth and even height are all present for me here. As said it's a smaller soundstage so it's not super exaggerated but it's all there, and by no means do I think I wish I had a larger stage. Panning instruments are easy to follow across the entire plane. I'm frequently enjoying cymbals crashing up above while a tasty bass lick flaps around me lower to the floor.

All of these things combined create such an enjoyable headphone experience. You combine that with their lightweight and easily adjustable clamp force. They're just it.

Of course it's a love at first sight for me. I'd like to do some comparisons to the 660s but honestly I have nothing good to say about them. They have a tight, claustrophobic presentation with weak imaging and a soft boring presentation in comparison. I don't hate the 660s I never did quite love them though. The S2 aren't just better, they're beating just about everything I've heard up until the Arya and HD800s. And those two headphones have some pretty major flaws that the S2 just doesn't have. The Arya are thinner sounding and have some really harsh sibilance going on along with some big comfort issues. The HD 800s is too thin in the bass and that makes them somewhat boring if you want some excitement.

Obviously this is based off my preferences but I'm just having a hard time not saying they're just about perfect. They don't need anything, they don't leave me wanting anything they're just fantastic.
LOL! How do you really feel???? :)

Me too by the way!

May 16, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #6,605 of 6,778

This makes me want to get a set. I have the 600 and 6XX already.

May 16, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #6,606 of 6,778
But yea, first listens are usually what get me because I'm experiencing the the sound for the first time and if I like what I hear it taps into the songs I love to listen to. I have a couple vocal pieces that tend to hit me right in the feels. Some piano pieces manage to make me weep too lol hence why I started playing myself
I get it :relaxed:

May 16, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #6,607 of 6,778
I just happened to check in on this thread as I'm listening to the 660S2 via the Schiit Yggy + GS2 and the Vali 3. WOW. That's all I can say. Great recording quality, great music, great audio chain. This headphone is the real deal. Greatly under priced and unappreciated in today's new order. IMHO.... Regardless, a terrific listening experience! (Frank Basiile/Same Dillion Quintet - Two Part Solution....

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #6,608 of 6,778

I think they're just about perfect in their tonal presentation, the dynamics are fantastic, the frequency response is excellent and these have some of the best imaging I've ever heard. I got my pair for $300 and I'm not going to say anything short of it being the biggest headphone steal I've ever had....

That's funny, because in your feelings of the 660S2, you pretty much described mine (short of best cans I've ever heard) in the HD800S. But my setup works well with them.

Anyway, I definitely get it when your gear evokes such joy. You're not alone :smile:

Nice review :thumbsup:

May 16, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #6,609 of 6,778
I just happened to check in on this thread as I'm listening to the 660S2 via the Schiit Yggy + GS2 and the Vali 3. WOW. That's all I can say. Great recording quality, great music, great audio chain. This headphone is the real deal. Greatly under priced and unappreciated in today's new order. IMHO.... Regardless, a terrific listening experience! (Frank Basiile/Same Dillion Quintet - Two Part Solution....
Underpriced? When 660s2 just released, many panned it to be overpriced as 6xx was much cheaper but slightly lower sq .

May 16, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #6,610 of 6,778

While the bass isn't on level with some nice planars, it's IMO perfectly balanced with the rest of the tone and not in any way or shape lacking. Along with the lower mids you get detailed, textured and a thick tone. Guitar strings pluck and feel full, bass strings slap and flap around. You get a full bodied resonance from violas and such.....
Bang on description and comparison. I bought the 660S2s to pair with my Hifiman headphones, and particularly for not so well recorded metal tracks that can be otherwise sibilant.

Good news (or bad for your wallet) is that the 660S2 can sound even better on a good tube amp. I found a really solid combination of tubes with my HA-3A. I used to apply EQ for more bass but I no longer need it as everything sounds just right with the level of warmth and bass slam.

It's actually pretty incredible what a tube amp can do to transform the overall sound. I avoided it for years but here I am now listening to music with a fat grin on my face. I just hope my wife doesn't see the credit card bill after my last tube purchase :dizzy_face:

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #6,611 of 6,778
PXL_20240516_103154620~2.jpg

Decided to wear on plane. Since I had aisle seat and the middle/window seat passenger can ask me to move if they need the loo

Was able to watch movies at good enough volume, can hear the airline staff ask me what I want to eat/drink etc

Also it seems to attract some attention since no one wears open back headphones

When I'm walking I just take off the cables

Also basically had them on for like 15 hours with no problems.

May 17, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #6,612 of 6,778

The thing for me about these cans is, they are probably the best I have ever owned, but I'm struggling to describe exactly why.
On paper, they shouldn't be my favorite headphones. So perhaps their most telling quality is that they have changed my perception of what the perfect headphones are.
I love the HD600s for their midrange tonality and timbre, but they lack dynamics. Likewise, I love my 1990s for their detail and stage, but male vocals in particular sound gritty. With the 660S2s, it doesn't feel like I'm making any compromises, even though when it comes to the specific qualities I mentioned, they are hardly more proficient than the 600s or 1990s.

May 17, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #6,613 of 6,778
PXL_20240516_103154620~2.jpg

Decided to wear on plane. Since I had aisle seat and the middle/window seat passenger can ask me to move if they need the loo

Was able to watch movies at good enough volume, can hear the airline staff ask me what I want to eat/drink etc

Also it seems to attract some attention since no one wears open back headphones

When I'm walking I just take off the cables

Also basically had them on for like 15 hours with no problems.
Wow, that is rude. Nothing leaks more sound than a Sennheiser.

But it"s all about you right.

May 17, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #6,614 of 6,778
Wearing open back headphones on a crowded plane is really inconsiderate. I would’ve been really annoyed, especially if I didn’t have closed back, noise cancelling headphones. Which I have partially because others are so, well…

May 17, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #6,615 of 6,778
Underpriced? When 660s2 just released, many panned it to be overpriced as 6xx was much cheaper but slightly lower sq .
Yes. I was one who paid full retail on day one. Based on my enjoyment level, I got them dirt cheap..... YMMV :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back