Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 23, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #6,212 of 6,514
I think what you described along with launch price are the factors that caused the S2 to have an initial reception that was less than what it deserved in terms of performance.
Right yeah the launch price was a bit too much, and probably led to a lot of dissatisfaction. Luckily I waited till it dropped to 400$or thereabouts.

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #6,213 of 6,514
It does remove veil a bit since you remove material blocking the sound and so adds clarity and certainly doesn't reduce bass at all.

It definitely removed bass. I removed one pad and could literally hear the reduction in bass from the cup that I removed the foam from. I don't think the material is "blocking" any sound. I think it's acoustically transparent. It's so thin already. All of the HD6XX series uses the same inner foam. Maybe the reduction of bass gives your ears the perception of increasing treble response?

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #6,214 of 6,514
It definitely removed bass. I removed one pad and could literally hear the reduction in bass from the cup that I removed the foam from. I don't think the material is "blocking" any sound. I think it's acoustically transparent. It's so thin already. All of the HD6XX series uses the same inner foam. Maybe the reduction of bass gives your ears the perception of increasing treble response?
I didn't find that it removed any bass at all. I just found that it brought everything forward more.

Makes me wonder why I didn't try it with all the Senn's that I was unhappy with in the past, specifically the HD600's and the HD6XX's/HD650's.

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #6,215 of 6,514
I didn't find that it removed any bass at all. I just found that it brought everything forward more.

Makes me wonder why I didn't try it with all the Senn's that I was unhappy with in the past, specifically the HD600's and the HD6XX's/HD650's.

Removing the foam has been a thing with Sennheiser HD6XX for quite some time. You can literally find posts about it on Head-Fi from over 20 years ago: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/removing-the-foam-from-hd600.23833/

Just saying it did remove bass, especially bass impact. So maybe that reduction in warmth gives the perception of having brighter sound? I prefer warmer sounding headphones so I'd never want to make something have more treble. No thanks.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #6,216 of 6,514
Removing the foam has been a thing with Sennheiser HD6XX for quite some time. You can literally find posts about it on Head-Fi from over 20 years ago: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/removing-the-foam-from-hd600.23833/

Just saying it did remove bass, especially bass impact. So maybe that reduction in warmth gives the perception of having brighter sound? I prefer warmer sounding headphones so I'd never want to make something have more treble. No thanks.
I am not a treble fan and don't notice more treble, but of course I am old.
I have never heard of anyone doing this mod and losing bass.
I have heard people say that they don't like the forwardness of the modified sound and that's fair.

As they say, we all hear differently. For me, this mod shot these headphones up to near the top of my collection.

But of course, YMMV.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #6,217 of 6,514
Making the mids louder/more prominent would relatively lower the frequencies of everything else if volume matched, and provided their FR also doesn't get altered.

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #6,218 of 6,514
I am not a treble fan and don't notice more treble, but if course I am old.
I have never heard of anyone doing this mod and losing bass.
I have heard people say that they don't like the forwardness of the modified sound and that's fair.

As they say, we all hear differently. For me, this mod shot these headphones up to near the top of my collection.

But of course, YMMV.

True. That's all that matters is that they sound good to you. :relaxed:

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #6,220 of 6,514
I would say yes. If you find the Sundara to have a metallic or unnatural sound, then you'll probably find the higher end egg shaped Hifimans even worse in that regard. The Sundara is probably the most natural sounding of them all in terms of timbre
Oh ok i didnt know that, i do like Sundara a lot.. but also compared to HD6 line they have that metalic sound( to my ears) , other than that they was really good.

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #6,221 of 6,514
If anyone is interested, 660 S2 is on sale for 399 on Amazon right now. Don't have a link cuz I'm on mobile. I just snatched one!

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #6,222 of 6,514
Feb 23, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #6,223 of 6,514
Oh ok i didnt know that, i do like Sundara a lot.. but also compared to HD6 line they have that metalic sound( to my ears) , other than that they was really good.
I think the egg shaped hifiman with the least metallic sound that I've tried is Edition XS. If you want to give them a try its definitely worth the current reduced price of $379 US.

But yeah, if you're a fan of the realism and natural sound of the Sennheiser HD6 line, you won't find it in Hifiman's lineup.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #6,224 of 6,514
If anyone is interested, 660 S2 is on sale for 399 on Amazon right now. Don't have a link cuz I'm on mobile. I just snatched one!
Better to keep competition alive and buy from someone like Crutchfield (also on sale for $399). :smile_phones:

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:23 AM Post #6,225 of 6,514
Just checked on Amazon UK. And the 660s2 still. £499.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back