Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Jan 20, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #6,001 of 6,519
This hobby is not for the weak and I am the weak. I love warm headphones, the FOMO is crazy, but I cannot spend that much on an amp. Do you have any recommendations for how to properly enjoy this headphone then? Might have to pay headphone rehab a visit pretty soon, the OCD for perfection is kicking hard.
It's only a hobby ... not a conscription to military duty ...

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #6,002 of 6,519
Gonna reopen the wound a bit here and ask haha. What is the sub $200 equivalent of the bottle head crack.
The Darkvoice had a similarly high output impedance so will have some similar characteristics, but is reportedly not as well-controlled as the BHC.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #6,003 of 6,519
My HD660S2 arrived almost 1 week ago. The clamp force was huge but i did the flex on the metal. But still, i don't think it's comfortable enough on my ears. It does not seem to be clamp force anymore but maybe small pads? I don't know, i don't find it comfortable like my HD560S or the HD660S V1 i've had 1 year ago. No adjustment fits comfortable enough. I'm really considering selling it and going back to my HD560S. Any advices?

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #6,004 of 6,519
@megamatt425 .... in an open forum, open thread some disagreement should be expected. As to the civility or incivility of disagreement, that is the participant's responsibility. In any event, on this audio path, you have to take the first step. Pick ... learn ... enjoy/keep ... doubt/sell ... No one's first step lands on one's endgame system.

Very well said. I just got into this hobby/addiction recently and I've gotten several headphones that I thought I would like due to whatever recommendations and I either return them (if possible) or sell them later on.

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #6,005 of 6,519
The Darkvoice had a similarly high output impedance so will have some similar characteristics, but is reportedly not as well-controlled as the BHC.
The 120v version of DV is particularly susceptible to hum; the (overseas) 240v version is fine. There is a Head-Fi thread which addresses this issue: "DV 336SE Hum - Fitz Mod?".

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #6,006 of 6,519
My HD660S2 arrived almost 1 week ago. The clamp force was huge but i did the flex on the metal. But still, i don't think it's comfortable enough on my ears. It does not seem to be clamp force anymore but maybe small pads? I don't know, i don't find it comfortable like my HD560S or the HD660S V1 i've had 1 year ago. No adjustment fits comfortable enough. I'm really considering selling it and going back to my HD560S. Any advices?
Possibly the pads? Try Dekoni or ZMF earpads for Senn 660S2?

Jan 21, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #6,007 of 6,519
Very well said. I just got into this hobby/addiction recently and I've gotten several headphones that I thought I would like due to whatever recommendations and I either return them (if possible) or sell them later on.
Welcome to the hobby! You will find yourself not caring for a lot of "favourites" as you go along. I have sold on many "great" headphones that weren't great for me. :smile:
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
It also took me several years to find out what kind of sound I Really like.

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #6,008 of 6,519
I'm really considering selling it and going back to my HD560S. Any advices?
That's a pity; it's a big downgrade.

I always read big, ok, small, etc., and ask for recommendations. But I never, ever read that someone left the diameter of the head.
I find S2 really comfortable, and the clamping force doesn't bother me at all. Actually, I like it better than the 560S.

Ok then...my head diameter, so the widest part, just above the ears, where you measure for the hats, is... 57.5 cm.
Not particularly big or small-headed :) Let's see...

Cheers!

Jan 21, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #6,009 of 6,519
Hi. Surely the sizes are the same on both 660s. ? Assume you have had a good luck at both sets of pads , or are the version 1. Worn down a bit . Maybe stick something inside the headphones, not on the pads , and leave them overnight to stretch a bit. This should free them a bit . Without spending loads on new pads.

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #6,010 of 6,519
or the HD660S V1 i've had 1 year ago.
Had both on hand simultaneously, the initial pressure when new on the S and S2 are basically identical, pads must have been broken in.

or the hats, is... 57.5 cm.
62+ here.... but would need a pair of calipers to measure the diameter and not the circumference. :)

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #6,011 of 6,519
My HD660S2 arrived almost 1 week ago. The clamp force was huge
Oddly I've always preferred the pressure of the HD6XX series, for me more clamp force the better and a secure tight fit keeps the phones securely in place.
It does not seem to be clamp force anymore but maybe small pads? I don't know
But as you say it may well indeed be the pads, my pair of on ear Urbanites are literally painful after a while.:worried:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #6,012 of 6,519
It will improve over time. One week is still fairly new and not enough time for the clamp to loosen a significant amount.

You can keep flexing the headband (grasp it at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and gently flex it open) each time you go to put them on. And the more time its on your head, the more it will loosen naturally.

I wouldn't over do it with stretching them out though, because part of the magic of HD6 series headphones, as @Rob80b said, is the clamp and seal. They will loosen naturally with use and "mold" to your head shape.

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #6,013 of 6,519

They are all tight out of the box. Even my 560S was tight. Just takes time wearing them and the pads and band conform to your head perfectly. I have a 660S2 and 560S and I wouldn't return the 660S2 in favor of the 560S. But that's just me.

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #6,014 of 6,519
62+ here.... but would need a pair of calipers to measure the diameter and not the circumference. :)
Hahaha, that's right...what an arse I am :)
If I had a diameter of 57.5 cm, I would probably be the one holding the Guinness world record by far :)

Even though it's English, these kinds of mistakes are always funny; I will leave it that way for further fun :)

You changed pads? I tried to open that link before you posted it, but it wouldn't direct me to the page.
Can you post it again? :) I don't have issues with these, but I am not the biggest fan either.

I like those that they have with BT headphones more.

Cheers!

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #6,015 of 6,519
You changed pads?
You mean these? If so, I went back and forth and finally settled on the perforated leather ones.
Slighter thinner than stock which could affect staging.
IMG_7103.JPG

Not being a fan of velour pads I do appreciate the feel and comfort
IMG_7105.JPG
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998605112.html
Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 9.44.19 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back