Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Jan 19, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #5,956 of 6,768
Really off-the-wall question to those of you who wear hearing aids. I started wearing mine about a year ago, and for most of that time I was wearing them while listening to my 660s before, and now the 660s2. Lately I've taken them out of my ears before listening via the 660s2. I think there is sound improvement without the aids. I'd like to know from those with hearing aids whether or not they keep them in while listening.

Thanks!

Leo

too many Grateful Dead shows!

Jan 19, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #5,958 of 6,768
Time for this .... ?
75EE4DFF-E5C4-4552-87EB-18D9BACA0E99.jpeg
🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #5,960 of 6,768
Besides SchwizzelKick66 reply.....

And like the rest of out body parts, usually all asymmetrical.
But the headphones will be symmetrical so they are not pointing into the ear or reacting to the enclosed space and ear canal in the same manner. I had a terrible time with the Sennheiser HD700, although one of my favorite cans the balance was way off after owning 3 pairs and always way to the right.
My Hd660S2 do this a little but my AKG K872 and Beyerdynmamic are almost dead centre, but my dominant ear is the right, individually both hear absolutely fine up to 10-11K but the left has a very slight attenuation in volume across the board.
Some headphone amps offer a balance control, like my Bryston BHA1 and if your system is software based setting a different gain for the left and right should be easy.
How intense would you set the gain for the right side if it’s left-favored?

Jan 19, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #5,961 of 6,768
Besides SchwizzelKick66 reply.....

And like the rest of out body parts, usually all asymmetrical.
But the headphones will be symmetrical so they are not pointing into the ear or reacting to the enclosed space and ear canal in the same manner. I had a terrible time with the Sennheiser HD700, although one of my favorite cans the balance was way off after owning 3 pairs and always way to the right.
My Hd660S2 do this a little but my AKG K872 and Beyerdynmamic are almost dead centre, but my dominant ear is the right, individually both hear absolutely fine up to 10-11K but the left has a very slight attenuation in volume across the board.
Some headphone amps offer a balance control, like my Bryston BHA1 and if your system is software based setting a different gain for the left and right should be easy.
By balance control, do you mean the ability to use a balanced cable? Because that is what I’m experiencing this “issue” on.

Jan 19, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #5,962 of 6,768
How intense would you set the gain for the right side if it’s left-favored?
On the balance dial, for me 11 o'clock, to increase the volume for the left ear....turn clockwise to increase volume for the right.
By balance control, do you mean the ability to use a balanced cable?
Two totally separate things......balance control on the amp sets the level between the left and right channels.
Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 1.19.41 PM.png

Balanced cables are used between components in the likely hood of of noise by each channel running a positive, negative and ground, or in the case with headphones to completely separate the left and right channels by having no common ground to eliminate possible crosstalk.
Because that is what I’m experiencing this “issue” on.
A true balanced amp usually has a doubling of output to the headphones compared to the single ended output, if there is a fault on the amp it's possible not both channels are sending the the same power. Easy to check by switching the left and right connectors on the headphones themselves, with he HD600 series make sure to have the cable inserted correctly with regards to polarity otherwise they could be out of phase and that could also cause a debalance.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #5,963 of 6,768
Most mixes are panned one way or the other because it sounds better that way, easy as that, stereo is not mono. There can be variance between different cans of course but don't expect things to sound dead center if it's not in the recording.

Jan 19, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #5,964 of 6,768
On the balance dial, for me 11 o'clock, to increase the volume for the left ear....turn clockwise to increase volume for the right.

Two totally separate things......balance control on the amp sets the level between the left and right channels.

Balanced cables are used between components in the likely hood of of noise by each channel running a positive, negative and ground, or in the case with headphones to completely separate the left and right channels by having no common ground to eliminate possible crosstalk.

A true balanced amp usually has a doubling of output to the headphones compared to the single ended output, if there is a fault on the amp it's possible not both channels are sending the the same power. Easy to check by switching the left and right connectors on the headphones themselves, with he HD600 series make sure to have the cable inserted correctly with regards to polarity otherwise they could be out of phase and that could also cause a debalance.

You can purchase Vali 2++ directly from Schiit Audio: see their website. [I have no idea / have never heard of 'casing' issues with Schiit products 🤷🏻‍♂️.]

That is fine. Upgrading the tube is an attractive, flexible OPTION.

You can use the MacBook DAC for the time being. An OPTION, 'down the road', for better sound is to purchase a Schiit Modi DAC ($129) - this would really complement Vali 2++.

Vali 2++ is 'purposed for headphones'.

The 'THX AAA 788 / 789' amplifiers have: extremely low distortion measurements, ruler flat / linear frequency response, unworldy high signal-to-noise ratios ... but the sound (re)produced by them is anechoic, devoid of ambience, lacking in spatial cues. [THX AAA is not a brand but a technology used by brands under licence agreements.]

You are welcome! Happy listening!
I plan to order the vali 2++ tonight. Since it’s $200, I’m going to bail on the DAC and use the built in one on my MacBook. My only question is: how in the world does the vali 2++ connect to a laptop?!?

Also, I think I figured out what my issue with the K7 is: you were right, it’s detail retrieval and sound reproduction is great. But it lacks texture, there is no vibrancy I feel.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #5,965 of 6,768
I plan to order the vali 2++ tonight. Since it’s $200, I’m going to bail on the DAC and use the built in one on my MacBook. My only question is: how in the world does the vali 2++ connect to a laptop?!?

Why not go for the new Magni Unity with the DAC? I've got both the Vali 2++ and the Magni Unity, and no kidding, the Magni Unity sounds a bit better than the Vali 2++ with the stock tube. Seriously, you gotta swap out that tube on the Vali 2++ if you want it to sound better than the Magni Unity. It's $189 for the Magni Unity with the DAC.

Jan 19, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #5,966 of 6,768
Why not go for the new Magni Unity with the DAC? I've got both the Vali 2++ and the Magni Unity, and no kidding, the Magni Unity sounds a bit better than the Vali 2++ with the stock tube. Seriously, you gotta swap out that tube on the Vali 2++ if you want it to sound better than the Magni Unity. It's $189 for the Magni Unity with the DAC.
I’ll heavily consider but could you explain how this solid state amp would be any different from my solid state k7? I was hoping to try a tube amp to see if it adds texture to the sound.
And again, how the hell does it connect to a laptop lol?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #5,967 of 6,768
I’ll heavily consider but could you explain how this solid state amp would be any different from my solid state k7? I was hoping to try a tube amp to see if it adds texture to the sound.
And again, how the hell does it connect to a laptop lol?

I don't know if the Magni Unity would top your K7, but in this hobby, you gotta take a few gambles and try out different stuff until you find your sweet spot. Simply plugging your Mac into the Vali 2++ likely won't do wonders, which is why I suggested opting for the Magni Unity with the DAC. Good luck!

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #5,968 of 6,768
I don't know if the Magni Unity would top your K7, but in this hobby, you gotta take a few gambles and try out different stuff until you find your sweet spot. Simply plugging your Mac into the Vali 2++ likely won't do wonders, which is why I suggested opting for the Magni Unity with the DAC. Good luck!
It’s audio jacks in tho? Unless I’m missing something major. What adaptor do I need to connect the two?

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #5,969 of 6,768

Users who are viewing this thread

Back