Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #5,941 of 6,844
Jan 15, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #5,943 of 6,844
EQ recommendations for this headphone? One that emphasizes guitar and vocals as I mainly listen to rock. I enjoy warm sound signatures.Tried a few but nothing I love. Apple Music 10band eq will be used.

I think the HD6XX might be a better match for you. While the HD660S2 keeps a natural midrange like the HD600 and HD6XX, it's more laid-back because of the calmer upper midrange. You can tweak it a bit with some extra dB around 3-4k to open up the presence of the mids, but honestly, I'd say give the HD6XX a shot. The HD6XX is still a great headphone for rock and vocals!

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #5,944 of 6,844
I think the HD6XX might be a better match for you. While the HD660S2 keeps a natural midrange like the HD600 and HD6XX, it's more laid-back because of the calmer upper midrange. You can tweak it a bit with some extra dB around 3-4k to open up the presence of the mids, but honestly, I'd say give the HD6XX a shot. The HD6XX is still a great headphone for rock and vocals!
I appreciate your recommendation, but considering the s2 stumps the 6xx in all other categories, wouldn’t it be more efficient to simply eq the s2? I did get these on sale for $400, and the sale is no longer active so if I chose to return these, there’s no turning back which is why I’m hesitant.

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #5,945 of 6,844
I appreciate your recommendation, but considering the s2 stumps the 6xx in all other categories, wouldn’t it be more efficient to simply eq the s2? I did get these on sale for $400, and the sale is no longer active so if I chose to return these, there’s no turning back which is why I’m hesitant.

DivineCurrent mentioned these settings earlier in the thread, so I'd say kick things off from there. Just grab Equalizer APO, and you're good to go!

Filter: ON PK Fc 25 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1.2
Filter: ON LSC Fc 70 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 0.7
Filter: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 4600 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 5350 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 5

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #5,946 of 6,844
DivineCurrent mentioned these settings earlier in the thread, so I'd say kick things off from there. Just grab Equalizer APO, and you're good to go!

Filter: ON PK Fc 25 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1.2
Filter: ON LSC Fc 70 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 0.7
Filter: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 4600 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 5350 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 5
do you have any closed back recommendations that fit this description? I really like the way the instruments sound on my soundcore q30. I’m honestly wondering if I would like something like the dt1770 pro better than these headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #5,947 of 6,844
I have both HD660S2 and DT1770 Pro, the DT1770 Pro is an excellent headphone particularly for detail retrieval and bass, particularly sub bass. Not bass heavy perse but more sub bass presence than the HD660S2.

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #5,948 of 6,844
I have both HD660S2 and DT1770 Pro, the DT1770 Pro is an excellent headphone particularly for detail retrieval and bass, particularly sub bass. Not bass heavy perse but more sub bass presence than the HD660S2.
Which would you recommended for someone who almost always listens to either rock, country, or jazz?
If it’s not too much to ask, could you give me a pro con list in comparing the two?

Also, does it require a really powerful amp? That may be a deal breaker

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #5,949 of 6,844
do you have any closed back recommendations that fit this description? I really like the way the instruments sound on my soundcore q30. I’m honestly wondering if I would like something like the dt1770 pro better than these headphones.

I haven't tried closed-back headphones recently. I used to have the ZMF Atticus and VC, but it's been a while. Just ordered the new ZMF Bokeh, but it'll be a few months before they show up.

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #5,950 of 6,844
Which would you recommended for someone who almost always listens to either rock, country, or jazz?
If it’s not too much to ask, could you give me a pro con list in comparing the two?

Also, does it require a really powerful amp? That may be a deal breaker
Personally I listen primarily to 70's and 80's rock music for which the DT1770 is ideal. The bass from DT1770 is faster, deeper, tighter than the HD660S2. The HD660S2 has a more open airy midrange than the DT1770 Pro, treble is also slightly brighter on the DT1770 Pro. I used both these headphones with a FiiO K7 and found it too warm and smooth on the HD660S2 personally, largely due to AKM DAC's I would say. Fiio K7 better suited to the DT1770 Pro and was able to drive them fairly well. Upgraded to FiiO K9 with same THX amp modules but with ESS DAC's and it sounds better especially in terms of bass and detail, bass is more controlled if that makes sense? I haven't heard a better headphone than the DT1770 Pro in terms of detail retrieval at least not at its price point. Just be aware that the DT1770 Pro will expose poorly recorded material which is what I was alluding to in my previous post.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #5,952 of 6,844
I use a 58X. EQ'd it's great for metal/jazz, my main genres but classical is not bad on them either.

If you are a 'midrange' afficionado Grado is a good stop too. Completely different presentation to Sennheiser but good 'warmth' too. A more 'live' sound, faster and wider stage, loosing out in other areas.

Nothing is perfect. At any price.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #5,953 of 6,844
Do most tracks have instruments favored toward the left side? It seems like the left headphone emits more sound at times in a lot of tracks, but it doesn't seem like the right is damaged. I noticed this on Oh! Darling by the Beatles, and less so but still there with closer to the sun by Slightly Stooped (intro specifically).

Jan 19, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #5,954 of 6,844
Do most tracks have instruments favored toward the left side? It seems like the left headphone emits more sound at times in a lot of tracks, but it doesn't seem like the right is damaged. I noticed this on Oh! Darling by the Beatles, and less so but still there with closer to the sun by Slightly Stooped (intro specifically).
I have noticed the same myself. I do think that a lot of tracks are mastered to have the vocals slightly off center, and most often it's slightly to the left.

It could also be that your left ear is your dominant ear. Mine definitely is. It's quite normal to hear slightly better in one ear over the other.

And lastly, it could be slight imbalance between the L/R drivers. Way less likely with a Sennheiser vs other brands in my experience but I guess its still possible. I did have one 6xx unit that definitely had an imbalance and required exchange.

With so many factors at play I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just enjoy the music :)

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #5,955 of 6,844
Do most tracks have instruments favored toward the left side?
Besides SchwizzelKick66 reply.....
It could also be that your left ear is your dominant ear. Mine definitely is.
And like the rest of out body parts, usually all asymmetrical.
But the headphones will be symmetrical so they are not pointing into the ear or reacting to the enclosed space and ear canal in the same manner. I had a terrible time with the Sennheiser HD700, although one of my favorite cans the balance was way off after owning 3 pairs and always way to the right.
My Hd660S2 do this a little but my AKG K872 and Beyerdynmamic are almost dead centre, but my dominant ear is the right, individually both hear absolutely fine up to 10-11K but the left has a very slight attenuation in volume across the board.
Some headphone amps offer a balance control, like my Bryston BHA1 and if your system is software based setting a different gain for the left and right should be easy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back