Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Jan 13, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #5,911 of 6,844
I appreciate your response. Do you have any recommendations around the same price point? Sub $200 would be great. I belive I have a few more days to return this before the window closes. I stream off a MacBook and MSI laptop (for purposes of DAC). I’d like an all in one just for future endeavors but am willing to sacrifice if you people know some better option. Thank you!

The new JDS Atom Dac 2 for only $129
and the Atom Amp 2 for 129 with 2.6w
Both now fully aluminum enclosed.
They really pair well with the HD660s2.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #5,912 of 6,844
Was wondering if anyone had a similar experience. I’m using 660s2 w an FIIO K7 and honestly it’s rather disappointing. $200 for a tiny bit more power and frequent clipping? I was told this was the best sub 200 amp/dac combo. Have I been misinformed/ is there a way to make it sound better?

I'm pretty sure I was washing my dishes a few days ago with the 660S2 being driven by a BTR7. I'm not a loud listener, btw. Also, can you point us which track and at the exact moment the clipping occurs? I have some FiiO stuff here and all of them are less powerful spec-wise than your K7.

Are you sure you don't have a faulty unit? If that is the case, returning is likely the best choice.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #5,913 of 6,844
Do you think the 660S2 is worth getting if I want to drive it with only a Mac with this output or would I be wasting its potential? 3 volts RMS should be enough, but how can I find out about the voltage swing capability?
I have a 2020 Mac. It’s plenty loud, but I like mine to be exceptionally loud so I got an amp. Note: it is loud enough unless you decide to lower the pre amp gain, then you’ll need an amp.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #5,914 of 6,844
I'm pretty sure I was washing my dishes a few days ago with the 660S2 being driven by a BTR7. I'm not a loud listener, btw. Also, can you point us which track and at the exact moment the clipping occurs? I have some FiiO stuff here and all of them are less powerful spec-wise than your K7.

Are you sure you don't have a faulty unit? If that is the case, returning is likely the best choice.
It was clipping very badly on “arms wide open” by creed. Now it isn’t but yesterday it was.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #5,916 of 6,844
You could still just buy a new 660s which runs great from a audio player, phone, etc .....or if you really want the version 2 , Well my 580, 600, run easy from my £100 schiit magni amp.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #5,917 of 6,844
Can you truly appreciate the sound of the headphones themselves if you’re coloring the sound through a tube? I rlly like how these sound out of the box. Also, my absolute max I can spend is $200 so if the additional tube costs beyond that price point I’d have to ask for another suggestion and link?

Haha, the tube effects on the Vali 2++ are pretty subtle, it's not really coloring the sound. The thing is, the Vali 2++ didn't sound great with the stock tube, so I switched to the JAN GE 5670W since I know it's a good tube for amplifiers. I love using the Vali 2++ with the 660S2, it really helps fill in that dip in the upper mids.

I rlly only have $200 to spend :/

The Schiit Magni Unity ($189) with the integrated DAC could also be a good choice.

Jan 13, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #5,918 of 6,844
Can you truly appreciate the sound of the headphones themselves if you’re coloring the sound through a tube? I rlly like how these sound out of the box. Also, my absolute max I can spend is $200 so if the additional tube costs beyond that price point I’d have to ask for another suggestion and link?
You have confused me: you like the "sound [of 660S2] out of the box". But in post #5,904 - with FiiO K7 - "it's rather disappointing". What DAC/amp were you using initially?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #5,919 of 6,844
You have confused me: you like the "sound [of 660S2] out of the box". But in post #5,904 - with FiiO K7 - "it's rather disappointing". What DAC/amp were you using initially?
The built in DAC of a MacBook. My point was the headphones sound fine, the amp adds nothing to the mix except a boost in volume and unwanted clipping. I was expecting more for $200. I’ve also read several reports of FIIO k7 not sounding great with the S2, so it seems I’m not alone. I was also inquiring if I could get better/similar performance for something cheaper or around the same price point. Just looking to improve my setup while still within the return window of this device.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #5,920 of 6,844
Haha, the tube effects on the Vali 2++ are pretty subtle, it's not really coloring the sound. The thing is, the Vali 2++ didn't sound great with the stock tube, so I switched to the JAN GE 5670W since I know it's a good tube for amplifiers. I love using the Vali 2++ with the 660S2, it really helps fill in that dip in the upper mids.

The Schiit Magni Unity ($189) with the integrated DAC could also be a good choice.
If the tube effects are subtle, is there necessarily a difference between using a tube amp vs a regular amp?

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #5,921 of 6,844
The built in DAC of a MacBook. My point was the headphones sound fine, the amp adds nothing to the mix except a boost in volume and unwanted clipping. I was expecting more for $200. I’ve also read several reports of FIIO k7 not sounding great with the S2, so it seems I’m not alone. I was also inquiring if I could get better/similar performance for something cheaper or around the same price point. Just looking to improve my setup while still within the return window of this device.
• Since you are using the DAC of MacBook, and all that you seek for now is a headphone amplifier, I highly suggest that you heed YtseJamer's idea of Schiit Vali 2++.
• First, it is a hybrid vacuum tube / solid-state amplifier. Also, the tube does not 'colour' the sound; it adds a 'spatiality', a 'texture' that is unavailable were the amplifier solely solid-state. You can use the 'stock' tube in Vali 2++ for now, can upgrade the tube as you wish, as you can afford.
• For enjoyment of music, I cannot think of any headphone amplifier under $250 that comes close to Vali 2++. [Your experience with a device using a THX AAA 788 amplifier is another confirmation of: "measures well, sounds like hell" 😒]

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #5,922 of 6,844
• Since you are using the DAC of MacBook, and all that you seek for now is a headphone amplifier, I highly suggest that you heed YtseJamer's idea of Schiit Vali 2++.
• First, it is a hybrid vacuum tube / solid-state amplifier. Also, the tube does not 'colour' the sound; it adds a 'spatiality', a 'texture' that is unavailable were the amplifier solely solid-state. You can use the 'stock' tube in Vali 2++ for now, can upgrade the tube as you wish, as you can afford.
• For enjoyment of music, I cannot think of any headphone amplifier under $250 that comes close to Vali 2++. [Your experience with a device using a THX AAA 788 amplifier is another confirmation of: "measures well, sounds like hell" 😒]
What he said!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #5,923 of 6,844
Do you think the 660S2 is worth getting if I want to drive it with only a Mac with this output or would I be wasting its potential? 3 volts RMS should be enough, but how can I find out about the voltage swing capability?
• Mac will drive 660S2 to high volume. Qualities such as: clarity, dynamics, recovery of ambience, soundstage .... secondary priorities.
• Not every headphone amp maker offers information on voltage swing. Schiit Audio and Violectric are two that immediately come to mind.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #5,924 of 6,844
I will very much consider returning the k7 for the vali 2++. Someone mentioned something about the casing being a priority (unsure what that really means), so to ensure I get the right one would you be kind enough to provide a link on Amazon?

I will likely stick with the stock tube. I highly doubt I’ll be willing to drop more on an already expensive setup. I hope this does not influence your recommendation.

Will the lack of DAC in the vali prove to be an issue should I use this amp on another laptop or are decent built in DACs common? Can it power home speakers that I will likely buy in the future or is only purposed for headphones?

Lastly, could you elaborate on your comment about the THX measuring well but sounding like hell? What does this mean? Is it common for this brand to underwhelm?

Apologies for the loaded response, I figured it best to compile all questions into one reply so as to not waste your time.

I greatly appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #5,925 of 6,844
It was clipping very badly on “arms wide open” by creed. Now it isn’t but yesterday it was.
Given this recording was done during height of the loudness wars between record companies I would question whether or not the distortion or clipping that you are referring to is not actually the result of a poor quality loud recording? My experience with FiiO K9 that uses the same THX 788+ amp modeles has been nothing but positive with the HD660S2. That said Sennheiser 600 series are renowned for responding to the tube amps very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back