Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Aug 11, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #4,683 of 6,844
20230811_144059.jpg

The holy trio...and I have back in London the 660s and 58X. Only the new version HD650 is missing from my collection...maybe I am a 6## series die hard fan afterall...LOL...

Come on sennheiser do a great discount for us that we have them almost all in our collection...

Aug 11, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #4,685 of 6,844
Funny, just this morning I just acquired a Bryston B60R integrated (not single source), no DAC but similar design philosophies. The preamp and power amp are connected by jumpers so can be used independently, in my case to run my surrounds and some headphones. :)
Bryston B60R
Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 4.41.01 PM.png
Received my vintage Bryston B60R ahead of schedule...its to have it's duties divided but a quick listen with the HD660S2 was very promising and similar to the HDVD800.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #4,686 of 6,844
Aug 12, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #4,687 of 6,844
I recenlty purchased a set of 6xx perf lambskin pads from zmf and those are a little too small in diameter for the 660s2.
interesting. Did the plastic adapter ring fit?

Aug 12, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #4,688 of 6,844
I have two months to listen to my HD600 and elex and one and a half to hd660s and 58x the first ones because I left them in Greece and the second ones because I was extra super busy.

Today I managed to open for the first time my 660s2 and listen for one hour so I have no direct comparisons only first impressions.

And my first impressions is that the 660s2 can be characterised as an absolutely "Impressive" headphone...this is the first word that came in mind. Also a smile immediately afterwards...

It adds the HD650 flavor to the 660s technicalities, I think even much more improved technicalities in comparison with the 660s but I personally find it more difficult to drive in comparison to the 660s. For me it needs better source and amplification, the 58x being the easier to drive then the 660s as the 660s2 brings these dongles to their limits (quality wise speaking) not that i find this as a disadvantage but a mere observation because using dongles for the time being is my personal choice and limitation.

I will do the real comparison when i will get back in London but I believe I will not regret getting these.

IMG-20230812-WA0000.jpg

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #4,689 of 6,844

The holy trio...and I have back in London the 660s and 58X. Only the new version HD650 is missing from my collection...maybe I am a 6## series die hard fan afterall...LOL...

Come on sennheiser do a great discount for us that we have them almost all in our collection...
🙏🙏 Thank you for being a great customer and audiophile
I have two months to listen to my HD600 and elex and one and a half to hd660s and 58x the first ones because I left them in Greece and the second ones because I was extra super busy.

Today I managed to open for the first time my 660s2 and listen for one hour so I have no direct comparisons only first impressions.

And my first impressions is that the 660s2 can be characterised as an absolutely "Impressive" headphone...this is the first word that came in mind. Also a smile immediately afterwards...

It adds the HD650 flavor to the 660s technicalities, I think even much more improved technicalities in comparison with the 660s but I personally find it more difficult to drive in comparison to the 660s. For me it needs better source and amplification, the 58x being the easier to drive then the 660s as the 660s2 brings these dongles to their limits (quality wise speaking) not that i find this as a disadvantage but a mere observation because using dongles for the time being is my personal choice and limitation.

I will do the real comparison when i will get back in London but I believe I will not regret getting these.

Indeed the 660S2 is back to 300 ohms. You'll get a blacker backdrop with the higher impedance, which offers great contrast and dynamic punch. That said on some of my dongles I can still get it to uncomfortably loud levels but I guess it all depends on personal preference. @iFi audio Go Bar on balanced mode was incredibly loud for me, although that DACamp dongle has quite a bit of juice.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Aug 12, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #4,690 of 6,844
🙏🙏 Thank you for being a great customer and audiophile

Indeed the 660S2 is back to 300 ohms. You'll get a blacker backdrop with the higher impedance, which offers great contrast and dynamic punch. That said on some of my dongles I can still get it to uncomfortably loud levels but I guess it all depends on personal preference. @iFi audio Go Bar on balanced mode was incredibly loud for me, although that DACamp dongle has quite a bit of juice.
Thank you for the feedback.

I believe this headphone is a significant improvement in relation to the 660s, it seems to be quite smoother and thicker more creamier mids better bass and great treble I wouldn't have a dillema choosing between the two.

I have a quick question. On my 660s and hd600 boxes I have a sticker which is silver that verifies/proves the originality of the product. I do not have this sticker in my HD660s2 box. Should I worry regarding this???

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #4,691 of 6,844
interesting. Did the plastic adapter ring fit?
Yes it fits perfectly. Its just the outside diameter of the zmf pads thats a tad smaller than the 660s2 cups.

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #4,692 of 6,844
Yes it fits perfectly. Its just the outside diameter of the zmf pads thats a tad smaller than the 660s2 cups.
I noticed the same thing when I used ZMF pads on the 660s1. It looked a little weird, but the ZMF were more comfortable than the stock pads :)

Aug 12, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #4,693 of 6,844
Received my vintage Bryston B60R ahead of schedule...its to have it's duties divided but a quick listen with the HD660S2 was very promising and similar to the HDVD800.
IMG_8294.JPG
A blast from the past. I googled it and got a review from 2018, which referred to it being ten years old then. :smile:
How would you compare it to your BHA-1?

Aug 12, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #4,694 of 6,844
A blast from the past. I googled it and got a review from 2018, which referred to it being ten years old then. :smile:
First reviewed in 1998.....and that was with the HD600. :wink::wink:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/bryston-b-60r-integrated-amplifier-sam-tellig-october-1998
"The result is sonic purity and headphone amplification that are as good as any I've heard from solid-state. (I'm using the Sennheiser HD600 and Grado RS-1 'phones as references—very revealing.)"

How would you compare it to your BHA-1?
Well that journey started here......
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-headphone-amplifier-from-bryston.560499/page-84#post-9969932
and here...
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104028.700

But I'd say the the BHA1does have the upper hand, being designed from the ground up purposely to be used as a headphone amp, offering balanced outputs so more power on tap (excluding the B60s speaker outputs :sunglasses:), although both are comprised of 2 discrete mono amps. Also there are newer and surface mounted components, so an even lower noise floor which make the BHA1 slightly more resolving with better dynamics, noticeable in the bass when using the S2.
The 17lb B60R literally integrates the Bryston PB-6 preamp and the 2BLP amp (1980s) in one box....a Swiss Army knife for the audiophile...and even though the design is going on 25 years (only discontinued recently), it's almost as clean and maybe slightly warmer, overall just a well built discrete solid state integrated amp... so no fuzzy tubeiness or digital artifacts.... :beyersmile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back