Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 8, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #3,781 of 6,726
That is the million dollar question or in the this case the $50 one...but having owned the Hd650 x 3 and also the HD6XX they were all eventually sold for the same reason and that was that they never engaged me completely. The Hd660S for my preferences were more so but the S2 IMHO complete what I felt was missing from all the previous 600 series.
Some yeares ago - the same experience, I sold the HD600 and buy's an AKG K701.

May 8, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #3,782 of 6,726
Sadly I’m going to have to let go of the S2, it’s starting to aggravate my ears. I think they create a sound pressure my ears don’t like. Always had very sensitive ears and many headphones are hit or miss in terms of uncomfortable sound pressure for me.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #3,783 of 6,726
Sadly I’m going to have to let go of the S2, it’s starting to aggravate my ears. I think they create a sound pressure my ears don’t like. Always had very sensitive ears and many headphones are hit or miss in terms of uncomfortable sound pressure for me.
You mean sound pressure like too much bass?

May 8, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #3,784 of 6,726
Sorry to hear. Hard to believe that a headphone with velour pads could build up any pressure at all.
Are you still in the new, "clampy" phase?

I find them Super comfy, but when I pull them off after several hours one or both of my ears hurt for a little bit. Goes away shortly and I know that it will go away completely after a few weeks of use.

May 8, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #3,785 of 6,726
Think the link timed out above for the hd600....so did a screen shot ...ok

And for anyone after a new hd600 I just saw a advert for UK. People from Liverpool around this price.
Thank you for helping I already knew about that price and the shop but I managed to find a brand new HD600 almost the same price with the refurbished UK official site price but in another country. I received it today and it waits for me when I go back to visit my home country.

So Sonova could have send me a new one instead since it was their mistake that could not honour my order twice (amazing logistics guys keep up the good work) it was not that this UK refurbished price was the deal of the century and could bunkrupt Sonova or anything.

Anyway for better or worse next stop is Neumann aka Sennheiser pro.

May 8, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #3,786 of 6,726
My third day with the S2's and they are really growing on me. Yesterday was all jazz on the iFi and I dropped the bass boost to minimum. It was great.
Today I changed up to my Steely Dan/Donald Fagen playlist. I have adjusted to the Senn sound and was loving my music today. And they are SO comfortable.

I wonder if these are lighter than Grado's? Considering the attached cables, maybe? Have to pull the scale out tomorrow.
Grados headphone assembly are lighter at 170 grams, Grado stethoscope cables are 175 grams by itself, so definitely not lighter lol.

Speaking of comfort, how long does it take to stretch a Sennheiser headband? I have mine stretched across 3 coat racks that is about 12(?) inches apart. Will this take a week?
Clamping pressure is a bit too tight even after 4 months of consecutive usage with them.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #3,787 of 6,726
Grados headphone assembly are lighter at 170 grams, Grado stethoscope cables are 175 grams by itself, so definitely not lighter lol.

Speaking of comfort, how long does it take to stretch a Sennheiser headband? I have mine stretched across 3 coat racks that is about 16(?) inches apart. Will this take a week?
Clamping pressure is a bit too tight even after 4 months of consecutive usage with them.
I guess it is different for everybody. For me it has always been a few weeks of use and I was good. Actually, I found the HD58X's and HD6XX's much tighter at first.

May 8, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #3,788 of 6,726
I guess it is different for everybody. For me it has always been a few weeks of use and I was good. Actually, I found the HD58X's and HD6XX's much tighter at first.
Alright, looks like I'll be leaving the 660S2's stretched whenever I'm not using them. I just have a giant head.
The HD600's have a headband that's wider by about half an inch and is slightly more comfortable for me.
Thanks for the reply.

May 8, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #3,789 of 6,726
Sorry to hear. Hard to believe that a headphone with velour pads could build up any pressure at all.
Are you still in the new, "clampy" phase?

I find them Super comfy, but when I pull them off after several hours one or both of my ears hurt for a little bit. Goes away shortly and I know that it will go away completely after a few weeks of use.
I think they’re out of the clampy phase now. And my S1 didn’t get to me like this during the clampy stage so it’s something else bothering me. It’s something about how they present sound that bothers my ears as it’s different from the clamp discomfort.

You mean sound pressure like too much bass?
It’s not that it’s too much bass, I have bassier headphones that cause no issues, but my ears aren’t at ease with their sound some reason. I say pressure because it feels like an uncomfortable pressure. I tend to listen at moderate-low to moderate levels so not me listening too loud.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #3,790 of 6,726
It’s not that it’s too much bass, I have bassier headphones that cause no issues, but my ears aren’t at ease with their sound some reason. I say pressure because it feels like an uncomfortable pressure. I tend to listen at moderate-low to moderate levels so not me listening too loud.
I think that increasing the volume and the extension of low range is not a good idea given the nature design of the Sennheiser 6-series. Because the pads is very shallow and the drivers are parallel to the ears plane, increasing bass may make some to feel compressed . That doesn’t count the increased sound pressure due to increasing the power of the magnet on the S2 ..

May 8, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #3,791 of 6,726
I think that increasing the volume and the extension of low range is not a good idea given the nature design of the Sennheiser 6-series. Because the pads is very shallow and the drivers are parallel to the ears plane, increasing bass may make some to feel compressed . That doesn’t count the increased sound pressure due to increasing the power of the magnet on the S2 ..
It could be, but I’ve tried other headphones with drivers parallel to the ear, with potentially stronger magnets, and similar shallowness of pads that had stronger bass and caused no fatigue. But I do think it is related to the design of the 6xx series housing.

I do think increasing the bass volume and extension on the HD 6xx series housing just doesn’t work for me, something about it’s design and stronger bass doesn’t work to my ears. I found the HD 650 a bit unpleasant too in the bass and that may be why.

May 8, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #3,792 of 6,726
It could be, but I’ve tried other headphones with drivers parallel to the ear, with potentially stronger magnets, and similar shallowness of pads that had stronger bass and caused no fatigue. But I do think it is related to the design of the 6xx series housing.

I do think increasing the bass volume and extension on the HD 6xx series housing just doesn’t work for me, something about it’s design and stronger bass doesn’t work to my ears. I found the HD 650 a bit unpleasant too in the bass and that may be why.
Did you ever try to bend the headband outwards to decrease the clamp force? It is a common practise on this headphone series. That will releave any pain.

May 8, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #3,794 of 6,726
Did you ever try to bend the headband outwards to decrease the clamp force? It is a common practise on this headphone series. That will releave any pain.
Oh it’s not due to clamping force. I’ve owned enough of the HD 6xx series to know what’s caused by clamp and not. I also own an HD 660S that is only a couple months old and is similar in level in terms of clamp and it causes zero issues even when it was new and clampy. Also I wasn’t getting pain and the clamp wasn’t bothering me. It was an uncomfortable pressure on my eardrums type feeling.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #3,795 of 6,726

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back