Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 18, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #3,391 of 6,519
Also nice to have slightly different flavours in the same ergonomic package; the 6X0 chassis is truly the only headphone I can wear all day, every day.

Well Sennheiser did say it was a design they established over 20 years ago with the HD580 through trial and error and not a random act..and pretty well has stood the test of time...."don' t try to fix something if it ain't broken". : )

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #3,393 of 6,519
Yesterday I listened a lot with my HD-650 and was somewhat surprised by feeling them a little ...too elliptical and narrow in shape. Obviously I am spoiled by the round and roomy earpads of my main headphones. I remember very well that when I changed from the HD-650 to the new headphones, I still preferred the elliptical shape for long. At this point I think that the ideal for comfort and practicality might be an intermediate shape between round and elliptical, maybe a bit closer to the elliptical HD-6## series.

Apr 18, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #3,394 of 6,519
Hi guys, I'm looking for desktop DAC (going to use it with PC) for HD660S2. Any recommendation? I want make them little "more organic". Maybe Zen DAC V2 + Zen CAN V2? Or xDuoo TA-22? Any other ideas? My budget is up to 800 euro.
Musician Draco R2R?

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #3,395 of 6,519
Well Sennheiser did say it was a design they established over 20 years ago with the HD580 through trial and error and not a random act..and pretty well has stood the test of time...."don' t try to fix something if it ain't broken". : )
… & as some Head-Fiers have said: “if it ain’t broken, fix it until it is” 🤣🤣🤣🥲😢

Apr 19, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #3,396 of 6,519
Hi guys, I'm looking for desktop DAC (going to use it with PC) for HD660S2. Any recommendation? I want make them little "more organic". Maybe Zen DAC V2 + Zen CAN V2? Or xDuoo TA-22? Any other ideas? My budget is up to 800 euro.
Digital to analogue conversion has been solved to the point of audible transparency for quite sometime. Save yourself some money and don't spend it on a DAC. You can spend as little as $300US these days and get a well featured and audibly transparent DAC.

Edited to remove the noise from my previous post and left the relevant bits.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #3,397 of 6,519
DACs do not have sound signatures unless they are terribly flawed, that is an audio myth. Seriously. Any competent DAC will sound the same, unless somebody did something very intentional to colour the sound, and that would be difficult to do with a DAC. You could probably spend under $300US and get an audibly transparent DAC, there are many such choices now. Digital to analogue conversion has been solved to the point of audible transparency for quite sometime. The people who tell you they hear differences are doing sighted listening tests and are most certainly not level matching output. Save yourself some money and don't spend it on a DAC.

People make wild assumptions and never test them. I hosted a head-fi meet years ago and I did a pretty decent test with multiple participants. I took a lossless track and ripped a 320mp3 version of it. I then setup a test rig at the meet, really good headphones and source gear. The same test track was used, a very dynamic one - One Trick Pony from Holly Cole, great song. I had if I remember 7 participants do the test, three of them were supremely confident they could hear a difference between Flac and a 320mp3, ridiculous belief, but anyway, they were game. I let people find the volume they liked to listen to the song at and then they left it there. I then played several trials where the participant had no idea which version they were listening to. After everyone went through multiple trials, not one person did better than I think about a 60% discrimination rate. In other words complete guessing.

That was a commonly held audio myth at the time that people could easily tell a lossless file from a 320mp3. The notion of being able to hear differences between competently designed DACs is the same thing. If you did proper multiple trial, blind listening tests nobody is hearing the differences beyond guessing. And believe me, there have been people who have tried and were shocked to find they failed. Seriously, spending lots of money on a DAC is absolutely not required and really is a great place to save money. I went from at one time wasting money on a $3000 DAC to finally accepting that I was fooling myself and now I have have spent quite a bit less (and could probably spend less still) and have never suffered any loss of fidelity. Just my thoughts. Spend reasonable money on speakers and headphones, those devices do and should sound different so tune your system at that point, not with a DAC, that is misguided. I hope that doesn't sound unkind.
I would refrain from pushing your experience as the truth and others are wrong and misguided for having different opinions and experiences. It can come across as being dogmatic, even if you’re trying to help people save money and detour people from falling deep into the rabbit hole, etc. There are others with extensive knowledge and experience as well who don’t agree. Honestly don’t think there will ever be any true consensus on these topics due to them being heavily shaped by experience, knowledge, beliefs, perception, etc.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #3,398 of 6,519
Yes that is what clear minded people would do. But this is HeadFi......
Here is what I could use instead:
16817393129705506052300224772149.jpg
Same driver as the HD569 GSP600 closed back gaming headset. Good, but not HD660S2 worthy performance.

I had a hard time deciding between the 560S and the GSP500 for gaming, the GSP500 is too good, I eventually kept the 560S, but was based only on comfort.

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #3,400 of 6,519
For those who have had a pleasure to listen to 600, 650 and 660S2:

Do you think it would make any sense to have 660S2 and also 600 or 650? Could they compliment each other, when listening to different kind of music to the extent that would justify buying both?

If you do think this makes sense, which one you would pick, 600 or 650, to buy in addition to the 660S2?

The reason I'm asking that I find it hard to pay 500+ for headphones, and would like to wait until the 660S2 can be found for 400-450 price.. then again 600 can be bought for €245 / 650 for €295 at the moment (also, ordering 6XX from US for total price of €250 is an option).. My fingers are itching 🤯

And yes I know, it would be cheaper to buy just 660S2 now than both, even with discounted prices 😂

I'm trying to justify buying both thinking that I like to listen to "bass needy" music like Nightwish, Rammstein etc, but also enjoy clean, pure guitar riffs and clear female vocals quite a bit.. I don't know if this makes any sense, but based from what I heard music that does not need "low end authority" might do better with 600/650 but heavy metal, RnB, techno etc could sound better with 660S2 🤔

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #3,401 of 6,519
Apr 19, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #3,402 of 6,519
For those who have had a pleasure to listen to 600, 650 and 660S2:

Do you think it would make any sense to have 660S2 and also 600 or 650? Could they compliment each other, when listening to different kind of music to the extent that would justify buying both?

If you do think this makes sense, which one you would pick, 600 or 650, to buy in addition to the 660S2?

The reason I'm asking that I find it hard to pay 500+ for headphones, and would like to wait until the 660S2 can be found for 400-450 price.. then again 600 can be bought for €245 / 650 for €295 at the moment (also, ordering 6XX from US for total price of €250 is an option).. My fingers are itching 🤯

And yes I know, it would be cheaper to buy just 660S2 now than both, even with discounted prices 😂

I'm trying to justify buying both thinking that I like to listen to "bass needy" music like Nightwish, Rammstein etc, but also enjoy clean, pure guitar riffs and clear female vocals quite a bit.. I don't know if this makes any sense, but based from what I heard music that does not need "low end authority" might do better with 600/650 but heavy metal, RnB, techno etc could sound better with 660S2 🤔
To me it is simple, the HD660S2 sounds best on all genres, full stop. But that is just me.

Apr 19, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #3,403 of 6,519
Agree 👍

My 650 are for sale or I may take them to the office (would need to upgrade DAC/AMP).

I see no reason to keep 650 and 660S2 under one roof :D

Apr 19, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #3,404 of 6,519
Another great listen:
20230419_111703.jpg

I cannot stand their guitars on many headphones. On the HD660S2 it is pure enjoyment.

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #3,405 of 6,519
I would refrain from pushing your experience as the truth and others are wrong and misguided for having different opinions and experiences. It can come across as being dogmatic, even if you’re trying to help people save money and detour people from falling deep into the rabbit hole, etc. There are others with extensive knowledge and experience as well who don’t agree. Honestly don’t think there will ever be any true consensus on these topics due to them being heavily shaped by experience, knowledge, beliefs, perception, etc.
Very true. Funny I woke this morning thinking I would delete the post for the very reasons you are saying (about why there would never be consensus). You are absolutely right about that so what is the point in me making such a post? Truthfully not much point and it introduces too much off topic noise. Every once in a while against my better judgment I make those type of posts. Sigh, must have been having a cranky moment last night. I do appreciate your honesty and decorum for sure. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back