Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 17, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #3,361 of 6,519
For me the HD660S2 completes the HD6XX line-up because it improves in all regards and I can enjoy to every kind of music, without fatigue, for endless hours.
Would you mind opening up what "every kind of music" means, in your case, Sir.

I'm still undecided about what headphones to order.

Been using 598's for years, and while I love the clarity and the huge and somehow "airy" soundstage, they really don't impress in the lower frequencies.

While I'd like to keep the soundstage and how the headphones sound detailed, I'd like more bass.

Some say 660S2 have way improved bass over let's say 650, some say the difference is barely there 🫣

I could buy 650 for €295 and 660S2 for €540. In reality it would cost close to €100 to have balanced 4.4 cable made for 650, while I think stock cable that comes with 60S2 might work. So in real life the price difference would not be SO big.

My problem seems to be the music I like to listen to. Too much variety / different kind of needs.

Think:

Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust Nightwish - Ghost Love Score
FFDP - Wrong Side of Heaven
Indila - Derniere Danse
Sting - Desert Rose
Eagles - Long Road Out of Eden

And top it off with Rammstein, Raubtier, Sabaton and Two Steps from Hell.

Strong, detailed vocals filled with emotion mixed with majestic, huge, powerfull music.

I kind of already decided that 660S2 is not for me, but them I ordered BTR7 which I think has enough power (balanced side) to drive these (compared to ES100/BTR5/GoBlu) + I saw that I can get -10 % from the MSRP + I realized I need to have custom cable made for almost any other headphones..

Made me think again.. could these fit the bill 🤔

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #3,362 of 6,519

Been using 598's for years, and while I love the clarity and the huge and somehow "airy" soundstage, they really don't impress in the lower frequencies.
Can only go by memory but the HD598 is cooler sounding and closer to the HD700, and while staging on the S2 is deeper with better layering it will not sound as airy, the S2 is richer, warmer and more natural with regards to timbre and IMHO a much more mature sound all round with less distortion when played loud. As I've mentioned on numerous occasions the S2 sound full range and so more complete, especially with regards to the bass region than the previous 600 series and the 59X series.

..... I can enjoy to every kind of music, ..........
Have to whole heatedly agree with pietcux on this one as I've yet to trip up the HD660S2 with any type of music genres and my tastes are very eclectic.

I could buy 650 for €295 and 660S2 for €540
To be honest the new S2 while maintaining the family resemblance it is a new headphone with a new improved driver, some say they miss the 600/650 mid-range so it's a downgrade and I would have to disagree.

Only you can decide on that and is it worth the upgrade, cannot speak for others but for me it was and there is no going back to the HD650 or HD660S...the HD600 will hold its place as a reference tool but is not complete and has its niche.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #3,363 of 6,519
Can only go by memory but the HD598 is cooler sounding and closer to the HD700, and while staging on the S2 is deeper with better layering it will not sound as airy, the S2 is richer, warmer and more natural with regards to timbre and IMHO a much more mature sound all round with less distortion when played loud. As I've mentioned on numerous occasions the S2 sound full range and so more complete, especially with regards to the bass region than the previous 600 series and the 59X series.

Have to whole heatedly agree with pietcux on this one as I've yet to trip up the HD660S2 with any type of music genres and my tastes are very eclectic.

To be honest the new S2 while maintaining the family resemblance it is a new headphone with a new improved driver, some say they miss the 600/650 mid-range so it's a downgrade and I would have to disagree.

Only you can decide on that and is it worth the upgrade, cannot speak for others but for me it was and there is no going back to the HD650 or HD660S...the HD600 will hold its place as a reference tool but is not complete and has its niche.
I was on the sidelines following this thread. Smiling inside as I saw one great review/impression after another. I was confident that these reviews are a classic case of FOTM/new toy syndrome. I was waiting for a year or two when many early adopters would reconsider their glowing reviews. Well, one night I don't why, I ordered one. I've had it 3 or 4 days now and I'm amazed at how much better these are vs. the 650 or the 660s. For me, this is a TOTL headphone. These days a TOTL headphone is much more expensive than the S2. Some have said that these are a side grade. For me, nothing even remotely close to a side grade. A true advancement forward for the Sennheiser consumer brand. Now I'm one of you! I guess sometimes, there is a difference between FOTM vs. a true advancement in technology.

Glad I took the plunge.... @Rob80b thanks for your impressions, as that weighed heavily on my decision to purchase!

Leo

Apr 17, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #3,364 of 6,519
I was on the sidelines following this thread.
Nothing wrong with that....

For me, this is a TOTL headphone
I'm starting to believe the S2 is indeed competing with the best....at least in overall musical performance.
When auditioning a few higher end cans the other day it wasn't my HD800S that came to mind....they were competing against the HD660S2. :sunglasses:
I ended up with the HD820, it's quite flat in its performance, I would say rather neutral sounding and many may find it boring, unexciting, so more of a reference being excellent with classical music and pretty good with everything else....the S2 has a similar tuning/tone but is more engaging, makes me want to listen to more music as it is very satisfying all round.
Oh..and I make a point to stay away from FOTMs. :)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #3,365 of 6,519
How about just picking up the Senn hd569 closed back. Mine new were £75. Worth keeping a eye out . Two leads, a 3.5mm tip, and a 6.35 mm tip. .
I got my 569 on a whim one black friday, and am always surprised how good they are. not sure why that set doesn't get more love, especially considering the price!

Apr 17, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #3,367 of 6,519
We have to be careful judging things as FOTM even early on. Every single great headphone started out as looking like a FOTM until time proved otherwise.

Apr 17, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #3,368 of 6,519
I read earlier that someone who has a zmf atrium and a 660 S2 said that the 660s2 can perform 90% of the atrium headphones at 1/5 the price. it's really great and it's clear that the 660s2 is the price/value champion here.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was true. I know ZMF people are very to the brand, but people just have to know that a significant portion of the cost is sunk into the look of those wooden cups. The notion that because musical instruments made of wood may have sound differences depending on the wood type is a stretch when it is suggested that a headphone earcup exhibits this same characteristic. I'm certainly not convinced of that. I have no doubt that psychologically, gorgeous designs make things sound better, but that isn't because of the finish, it is because of how our brain and conditioning works. Rant over.

Apr 17, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #3,369 of 6,519
I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was true. I know ZMF people are very to the brand, but people just have to know that a significant portion of the cost is sunk into the look of those wooden cups. The notion that because musical instruments made of wood may have sound differences depending on the wood type is a stretch when it is suggested that a headphone earcup exhibits this same characteristic. I'm certainly not convinced of that. I have no doubt that psychologically, gorgeous designs make things sound better, but that isn't because of the finish, it is because of how our brain and conditioning works. Rant over.
I think this is a pretty credible source who has both and is not interested in saying anything other than the truth.

Apr 17, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #3,370 of 6,519
Better value perhaps but champion… I would give it some time before declaring that. Pricing for headphones has gone off the deep end in my opinion.
I do understand that value can be subjective though so maybe you’re right :)

I read earlier that someone who has a zmf atrium and a 660 S2 said that the 660s2 can perform 90% of the atrium headphones at 1/5 the price. it's really great and it's clear that the 660s2 is the price/value champion here.

Apr 18, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #3,371 of 6,519
Would you mind opening up what "every kind of music" means, in your case, Sir.

While I'd like to keep the soundstage and how the headphones sound detailed, I'd like more bass.

Some say 660S2 have way improved bass over let's say 650, some say the difference is barely there 🫣

I could buy 650 for €295 and 660S2 for €540. In reality it would cost close to €100 to have balanced 4.4 cable made for 650, while I think stock cable that comes with 60S2 might work. So in real life the price difference would not be SO big.

My problem seems to be the music I like to listen to. Too much variety / different kind of needs.

Think:

Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust Nightwish - Ghost Love Score
FFDP - Wrong Side of Heaven
Indila - Derniere Danse
Sting - Desert Rose
Eagles - Long Road Out of Eden

And top it off with Rammstein, Raubtier, Sabaton and Two Steps from Hell.

Strong, detailed vocals filled with emotion mixed with majestic, huge, powerfull music.

I kind of already decided that 660S2 is not for me, but them I ordered BTR7 which I think has enough power (balanced side) to drive these (compared to ES100/BTR5/GoBlu) + I saw that I can get -10 % from the MSRP + I realized I need to have custom cable made for almost any other headphones..

I cannot comment on Rammstein or Raubtier and the likes, Eagles Hell Freezes Over sounds fantastic. Sting 10 Summoner's Tales also. Marcus Miller, Miles Davies, modern jazz in general. Eminem, 50 Cent.... Classical, Opera...Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Leonard Cohen, Deep Purple Made in Japan, Angus and Julia Stone, Angelo Branduardi, The Beatles...

Apr 18, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #3,373 of 6,519
I cannot comment on Rammstein or Raubtier and the likes, Eagles Hell Freezes Over sounds fantastic. Sting 10 Summoner's Tales also. Marcus Miller, Miles Davies, modern jazz in general. Eminem, 50 Cent.... Classical, Opera...Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Leonard Cohen, Deep Purple Made in Japan, Angus and Julia Stone, Angelo Branduardi, The Beatles...
Wow, that Eminem& 50 Cent really surprised me, in a good way! It must have -some- low end for that kind of stuff to sound (really) good.

At the moment I'm going through Hifiman Edition XS vs Sennheiser reviews, and in addition to comparing the two, I'm trying to understand how low impedance might be a problem. Like I previously stated, I chose BTR7 to drive what ever cans I'll end up buying.

(Actually today I'll get the BTR7, and probably tomorrow I'll have a chance to hear what difference it makes (vs. ES100) with K712 Pro's)

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #3,374 of 6,519
Wow, that Eminem& 50 Cent really surprised me, in a good way! It must have -some- low end for that kind of stuff to sound (really) good.

At the moment I'm going through Hifiman Edition XS vs Sennheiser reviews, and in addition to comparing the two, I'm trying to understand how low impedance might be a problem. Like I previously stated, I chose BTR7 to drive what ever cans I'll end up buying.

(Actually today I'll get the BTR7, and probably tomorrow I'll have a chance to hear what difference it makes (vs. ES100) with K712 Pro's)
I drive the HD660S2 most of the time from my Sony NW-WM1A high gain balanced 4.4mm out.

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #3,375 of 6,519
I got my 569 on a whim one black friday, and am always surprised how good they are. not sure why that set doesn't get more love, especially considering the price!
I'm about to pick up a pair for myself, also.

I have the AKG371, but the harman bass shelf is totally out of hand on some tracks -- at least for me it is.

I also have a DCA Aeon 2 Closed that was going to be my "out and about" headphone, but I'm just not that motivated to ever use it. It sounds good, but never really floors me. I'm finding that dynamic drivers are really the flavor I crave, and after the new-toy syndrome wears off, it's the dynamics that I keep gravitating back to, over and over. The A2C also just a little too expensive and flashy looking to take to the coffee shop and not come off like a total douche canoe. I'm about to sell that baby, I think.

I've been so taken with the "mid-fi" sennies lately that I thought adding the HD5698 to the collection would be a nice complement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back