Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 15, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #886 of 6,800
Anybody think the ZMF suede upgrade pads will make a positive difference on the new HD660S2 or will it not fit the new shape of the cups?

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #888 of 6,800
There actually someone on YouTube that has "reviewed" the 660S2 but without even listening to it, reviewed the sound quality from one graph, im not joking.
This one...in reference to the HD660S......."people didn't understand sound quality at the time"......"in 2023 audiophiles have gotten smarter"..... lol...I give up, maybe he was 6 at the time?....definitely a whipper snapper. : )

Just to add...it's hard to comment on these things..unless they live in a complete virtual world...Sennheiser has been making headphones for over 1/2 a century...when designing a vibrating driver to reproduce the "absolute fidelity" of a full band width audio waveform and then place it an enclosure that encompasses the ears....we may never succeed...but somehow people are led to believe the solutions can just be pulled out of a hat, or virtually generated on a computer..Sorry it's not how the physical world works. Personally I'm amazed at how good audio equipment is today, oh well...back to the drawing board. :triportsad:

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #890 of 6,800
Interesting thread. I'm going to wait a while if I do need anymore senn. Already have the first I bought way back Hd450. And a mint Hd580 also bought many years ago. Onto a mint second hand 660s, then few week ago the new styled 600 from senn. £200. All good. And if req closed back I have hd569.

Attachments

• 20230215_141403.jpg
    20230215_141403.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 15, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #891 of 6,800
My 1st impression are they are better than the hd650 for me.. i wasn't a massive fan of hd650 tho i much prefer the hd600

The sound is more powerful and it sounds like a in-between hd650 hd600 more so hd650 ..in the middle.

It's missing the lovely treble sparkle of the hd600 have and mids are bit more recessed. Better mids and bass than the hd650.
Not as muff congested sounding.

Bass has better texture and details then my hd600 but my hd600 have good bass with a little eq not much difference in the thump.

100% a sennheiser hd6 sound (I've never heard the hd660s tho)

I'm liking these straight away

I'll try them tonight with my amp when it's nice and quiet I only have a creative zxr soundcard :frowning2: but it's pretty good

leave it to the big boys now :)

ps I've been using my hd600 for over 20 years and it's hard for me to change but these are 100% good.

Feb 15, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #892 of 6,800
My 1st impression are they are better than the hd650 for me.. i wasn't a massive fan of hd650 tho i much prefer the hd600

The sound is more powerful and it sounds like a in-between hd650 hd600 more so hd650 ..in the middle.

It's missing the lovely treble sparkle of the hd600 have and mids are bit more recessed. Better mids and bass than the hd650.
Not as muff congested sounding.

Bass has better texture and details then my hd600 but my hd600 have good bass with a little eq not much difference in the thump.

.............:)

ps I've been using my hd600 for over 20 years and it's hard for me to change but these are 100% good.
All sounds good..my only concern with regards to personal preferences is "It's missing the lovely treble sparkle"...I may have to revisit the HD600s as at the time my other phones were the brighter AKG K501/701s, and Grado SR225 & SR325i and the Sennheiser where always lack lustre in that department and we went to extremes to improve them....hhhhmmm?

Hoping my Bryston BHA-1 pull out all the stops on that one. : )

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #893 of 6,800
These two HD-660S2/660S and HD660S2/HD-600 comparison graphs tell two different stories. The first is official by @Sennheiser (I think) and the second by @Resolve .

- According to the first, the new headphone has significantly more sub bass / bass / lower mids than 660S (to an extend that it is potentially more than the 650 too) and also more high treble.
- According to the second, the new headphone has even less bass than the bass-light HD-600 (!) , less lower mids too, and just 1.5dB more subbass at 30 Hz! Also significantly less treble than the "neutral" HD-600
Now, what of that is correct ??
Of course these are different measurements but the comparisons lead to entirely conflicting conclusions. They shouldn't have if they were both accurate.

Maybe it is another trick to make us all buy and measure/listen for ourselves! :smile: :smile:

r02kmgmejlea1.png

7db8fcc1c90915c0c6a145c5179333540d7d8814.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #897 of 6,800
Feb 15, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #898 of 6,800
ASR clowns and minions like this should be studied beyond just audio.

Having taken a break from audio communities for almost 2 years, I'm actually shocked how much rivalry there is between communities now. I appreciate the insight that headfi users provide regarding informative subjective reviews, and at the same time I respect every other community that objectively reviews gear, as graphs/pictures/numbers make it much easier for someone like myself to make a decision on whether I should buy certain equipment or not.
RTings has managed to quantify imaging in a ranking system with 200+ headphones. I do want to comment that the HD660S is the highest ranking on that site when it comes to imaging and I want to attest to that based on my personal subjective findings by comparing other headphones to it :)
ASR has managed to save my wallet since they've claimed the JDS Atom to measure as one of the best. I'm confident there's better equipment there, but when people say they're more like 5% upgrades; I'm fairly happy where I'm at right now.
HeadFi works great for finding people that link their music and describe exactly why they prefer using specific gear over others, hence my purchasing decision of the HD600.

This one...in reference to the HD660S......."people didn't understand sound quality at the time"......"in 2023 audiophiles have gotten smarter"..... lol...I give up, maybe he was 6 at the time?....definitely a whipper snapper. : )

Just to add...it's hard to comment on these things..unless they live in a complete virtual world...Sennheiser has been making headphones for over 1/2 a century...when designing a vibrating driver to reproduce the "absolute fidelity" of a full band width audio waveform and then place it an enclosure that encompasses the ears....we may never succeed...but somehow people are led to believe the solutions can just be pulled out of a hat, or virtually generated on a computer..Sorry it's not how the physical world works. Personally I'm amazed at how good audio equipment is today, oh well...back to the drawing board. :triportsad:

I... ahh.. yikes. Well as long as he enjoys the attention he gets, more power to him... I guess? The 4khz upper mids blunts high mid vocal extension for high octave female vocals. He's right about that but how many of you listen to japanese vocalists like Nakiri Ayame, Hoshimachi Suisei, or Kyo Hanabasami. Even if you were to listen to them, the 660S2's offer so much more than that small segment.

He's definitely pulling a cart before the horse though.

- According to the first, the new headphone has significantly more sub bass / bass / lower mids than 660S (to an extend that it is potentially more than the 650 too) and also more high treble.
True
- According to the second, the new headphone has even less bass than the bass-light HD-600 (!) , less lower mids too, and just 1.5dB more subbass at 30 Hz! Also significantly less treble than the "neutral" HD-600
Not True, Less lower mids is not true, first impression of the 660S2 was that it dug deep so more subbass is true but unsure by how much, Less treble than HD600 yes in certain areas but no in other areas

A kind user that goes by @bluemonkeyflyer sent me an expensive measurement apparatus for headphones many years ago. Which consists of a $2 capsule microphone, an ER4S eartip, a wire taken out of an old car stereo system and a head and torso simulator; me.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #899 of 6,800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back