Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 14, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #871 of 6,751
I have the box because when I bought my 6xx was coming with the same box.

And it is amazing.

I remember at that time I bought 4xx, two meze headphones with simple pretty vanilla boxes. The 6xx was standing out like a magical device and had the box that it deserved. Now the 58x box is absolutely crap if it is the same box for 660s2... I cannot imagine it...

Also I need to move house at some point and the box is pretty handy. While is difficult to move headphones in soft carry bag.
I keep my Sennheisers (600 / 6XX) in these, with a Forza Audio Works or Norne Audio cable in each:
78A15213-B4F6-4D87-B9B6-2DB3DEC1BD89.jpeg
43CBBBD1-9901-45BE-90E1-B9F9B2DB41EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #872 of 6,751
I've been in this hobby for a while now. It's odd to me how the community (Reddit and Youtube in particular now) will indict a headphone purely based on an single individual's submission of a graph. It's actually crazy to me. When Head-Fi was in a frenzy about the impending HD800, I don't think the graph was ever shared or even mentioned. Graphs just weren't a thing back then. It was all just excitement and trust in what was the new thing a venerable manufacturer had come up with.

Granted, I return most of the headphones I try. I am very particular, so most headphones aren't very special to me. My hunch is that probably the 660S2 won't be worth the money to me, especially over the $220 6XX. But I wouldn't possibly make any judgment or even speculation about how much I will like it based off a graph.

If the measurement has a strange dip, it's because Sennheiser intended it that way, and it offers some contribution to the uniqueness of the sound. It could be good or bad, but it's impossible to decide without hearing the headphone. I don't understand the thinking of, "Why doesn't the graph match some target that was decided by someone else?? Is Sennheiser stupid?? Why aren't they following my arbitrary rules??"

I don't want all headphones to sound the same. I want headphones that offer new and unique perspectives into the music.

There actually someone on YouTube that has "reviewed" the 660S2 but without even listening to it, reviewed the sound quality from one graph, im not joking.

Feb 14, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #873 of 6,751
just got the hd660s2 for 3hrs here is some quick impression

the package is so cheap.....feels like a 20 dollar headphone

resolution is bit better than 6xxs

quite Sibilance on most female vocals

soundstage is quite small with acceptble layering

dont really hear much bass improvement over the 660s

mids feels the same compare to 660s but feels thin compare to 650

at current price point hd660s2 is a cash grab better wait for sales

gear:cary dms800&vibrato balenced headphone amp

When I re bought my HD650s I was extremely disappointed in the new packaging, a small warped thin box with barely anything protecting the headphone inside just a thin plastic bag. What happened to the lovely black hinged box with foam, I used to store the headphone in when not using it.

Feb 14, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #874 of 6,751
There actually someone on YouTube that has "reviewed" the 660S2 but without even listening to it, reviewed the sound quality from one graph, im not joking.
An A-1 ASR candidate!! Pronto!!

Feb 14, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #875 of 6,751
LMAO I was gonna put "did ASR start putting crap on YT" but I saw they already had been for a while so I refrained.
Those guys should stick to discussing who is the best star trek captain and which waifu theyd marry n crap.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #876 of 6,751
Feb 14, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #877 of 6,751
LMAO I was gonna put "did ASR start putting crap on YT" but I saw they already had been for a while so I refrained.
Those guys should stick to discussing who is the best star trek captain and which waifu theyd marry n crap^^
^^ But that would require that they watch and think! No measuring!…..sheer torture! 😖😩

Feb 15, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #879 of 6,751
It’s true FR alone cannot tell you how the headphones sound as many properties of audio reproduction cannot be ascertained from FR. But FR is an indication of tuning and potential short comings in the tonality of the cans. I would classify 660s2 FR as wonky and definitely require multiple auditions before purchasing to make sure the wonky FR can be EQeq or would not otherwise have a negative effect on the music I listen to.

Also, I have been listening to 650 for several hours now and I still think it’s one of the most balanced and musical sounding cans under $1k. When you throw enough electronics at 650 good things can happen.

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #880 of 6,751
COMPARISON TO HD 660S

IMG_0992.jpg

Siegfried: Getting access to your playlist reminds me so much of the cassette playlists you would make for me. I did not know what the words meant but I enjoyed the music. I remember you asking me to stop singing “Walk on the Wild Side” in public. Seeing you blush was worth whatever I was saying. On that note, MM it is time to compare the 660S2 to the 660S.

SLC: Hey Sig check out the movie “Hedwig and the Angry Inch”. Leave your optimism adjacent to the door. Speaking of Lou Reed, I remember when I was living in France with my partner at the time and her younger sister singing the Vanessa Paradis version of “Walk on the Wild Side” and her having no clue what she was saying. That was not as funny at all compared to your version.

S2 and S time it is: Easy to cut to the chase on this one. I am truly amazed how the S2 is a better version of the S with some serious lineage going on with 600 timbre and 650 rounder notes and bass bump. All 6 series HPs have mids that are sublime. IMO most of the notes I want to hear are in the mid range. That is where the maturity of the music is at. The 6 series keeps the mids as the meat. The S2 bass is very similar to the S bass except the S2 bass has more texture. It is simply a better version of the same bass. I am not the best at talking about treble and I hear a very similar treble between S2 and S. I am not hearing any harshness with S2 nor S. But I have not met a treble I did not like. Especially after a drink or two.

As I compare the two quickly and after longer sessions with both, the big take away, which I alluded to already is timbre. The 660S2 is like watching a good movie. You are absorbed in the movie and enjoy the movie. You become one with the movie. When a movie is missing some things, I start thinking about the acting or the plot or just start thinking about something not related to the movie. I get that “something is missing” feeling. With certain HPs I become one with the HP. With the S2 I am enjoying the music. Not a laid-back music that gets boring for me. Not thrown in my face notes that get annoying. I enjoy the music with the S2. I am not thinking about the “acting” nor the “plot”. I am enjoying the music.

I do not get the same level of engagement with S as I do with S2. S is very good, S2 is so much more engaging though. The timbre and how the notes end are what makes it more engaging for me. The acting of the notes is at a better level. I am enjoying the acting and the story rather than thinking about the acting.

Separation of notes are better with S2. The moving of my head is happening with S2. In a dorky way at 5:00 am in the living room. Again, I am sounding like a broken record, but someone really took the effort to make the S2 better than S in every way and keep the lineage/strengths of 600 and 650. There is a place for 600 and 650 to continue being made. I see no reason to make the S anymore. I get that Bangle BMW feeling when I listen to the 660S. With the S2 I get the “they are back on track and a lot more” feeling. The S2 tops the S in every way and leaves no need at all to grab the S for a session. S2 is simply that good.

“They say, oh my God I see the way you shine
Take your hand, my dear, and place them both in mine
You know you stopped me dead while I was passing by
And now I beg to see you dance just one more time”

Dance Monkey by Tones and I

Feb 15, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #881 of 6,751
COMPARISON TO HD 660S

IMG_0992.jpg

Siegfried: Getting access to your playlist reminds me so much of the cassette playlists you would make for me. I did not know what the words meant but I enjoyed the music. I remember you asking me to stop singing “Walk on the Wild Side” in public. Seeing you blush was worth whatever I was saying. On that note, MM it is time to compare the 660S2 to the 660S.

SLC: Hey Sig check out the movie “Hedwig and the Angry Inch”. Leave your optimism adjacent to the door. Speaking of Lou Reed, I remember when I was living in France with my partner at the time and her younger sister singing the Vanessa Paradis version of “Walk on the Wild Side” and her having no clue what she was saying. That was not as funny at all compared to your version.

S2 and S time it is: Easy to cut to the chase on this one. I am truly amazed how the S2 is a better version of the S with some serious lineage going on with 600 timbre and 650 rounder notes and bass bump. All 6 series HPs have mids that are sublime. IMO most of the notes I want to hear are in the mid range. That is where the maturity of the music is at. The 6 series keeps the mids as the meat. The S2 bass is very similar to the S bass except the S2 bass has more texture. It is simply a better version of the same bass. I am not the best at talking about treble and I hear a very similar treble between S2 and S. I am not hearing any harshness with S2 nor S. But I have not met a treble I did not like. Especially after a drink or two.

As I compare the two quickly and after longer sessions with both, the big take away, which I alluded to already is timbre. The 660S2 is like watching a good movie. You are absorbed in the movie and enjoy the movie. You become one with the movie. When a movie is missing some things, I start thinking about the acting or the plot or just start thinking about something not related to the movie. I get that “something is missing” feeling. With certain HPs I become one with the HP. With the S2 I am enjoying the music. Not a laid-back music that gets boring for me. Not thrown in my face notes that get annoying. I enjoy the music with the S2. I am not thinking about the “acting” nor the “plot”. I am enjoying the music.

I do not get the same level of engagement with S as I do with S2. S is very good, S2 is so much more engaging though. The timbre and how the notes end are what makes it more engaging for me. The acting of the notes is at a better level. I am enjoying the acting and the story rather than thinking about the acting.

Separation of notes are better with S2. The moving of my head is happening with S2. In a dorky way at 5:00 am in the living room. Again, I am sounding like a broken record, but someone really took the effort to make the S2 better than S in every way and keep the lineage/strengths of 600 and 650. There is a place for 600 and 650 to continue being made. I see no reason to make the S anymore. I get that Bangle BMW feeling when I listen to the 660S. With the S2 I get the “they are back on track and a lot more” feeling. The S2 tops the S in every way and leaves no need at all to grab the S for a session. S2 is simply that good.

“They say, oh my God I see the way you shine
Take your hand, my dear, and place them both in mine
You know you stopped me dead while I was passing by
And now I beg to see you dance just one more time”

Dance Monkey by Tones and I
I can honestly say I've never listened critically at 5:00 a.m. I'm going to have to try this and see how my brain interprets everything when the ears are that fresh. You make a great point about the lineage to the 600 series. If we abandoned that sound then it would not belong in the family, and the engineers recognized that there is still room for both different flavors and technical improvements.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 15, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #883 of 6,751
I can honestly say I've never listened critically at 5:00 a.m. I'm going to have to try this and see how my brain interprets everything when the ears are that fresh.
Pro tip: if you sleep in till 10AM your ears are just as fresh then.

Feb 15, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #884 of 6,751
Wow great pic! It shows the textures and build in just the right way. Congrats and welcome to the #HD660S2Club...looking forward to your thoughts and impressions along the journey 💪

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back