Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 12, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #766 of 6,519
Being that I used to be in a band in my younger days with a few studio sessions, realism is where my sound preference became to be and that is why I adore the HD600. The louder the HD600 is played the levels of being in the middle of it all gets even surreal. So in the case of the S2, do you think the 600 series has arrived, capped and or hit the ceiling of being an intimate headphone?
I myself am also big time into "realism." The HD600 is a masterpiece of what I would call realism. The trio jazz I obsess on is perfect for the 600. The timbre is wonderful and for me there is minimal color added to the notes. With a lot of intimacy due to the small stage. Other HPs and IEMs have done that for me. Stealth, Auteur, Eikon, Elysium and Eden come to mind for me. Other audio friends would call the HD600 and those that I just named as "boring." But they give me goosebumps with how "real" they are for me. The HD660S2 has kept everything I like about the HD600 and added a little splash of color. That splash will make the S2 more interesting for most people. The 600 will be the 600 and should be in everyones staple or at least everyone should taste the 600 at some point in their journey. It is an amazing reference point for "realism." Again, most will prefer the splash of color the S2 adds.

Feb 12, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #767 of 6,519
I agree. I use my HD650 when I just want to relax. They don’t have harsh trebles or annoying subbass. And that’s why HD650/600 still have their place.
It’s not really the treble or annoying subbass either I have other non fatiguing headphones. It’s really how the sound is presented that is unique to the HD 600/650 imho. For example the HD 660 S wasn’t relaxing in the same way but rather like my other headphones non-fatiguing but more immediately engaging. Same general sound signature and obvious shared DNA but how I enjoyed the HD 660 S and HD 600 is very different.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #769 of 6,519
Yes it can be confusing and there has been a lot of dissusion on that specific topic, feel free to use one or the other...I used bass for years but was then corrected as folks insisted bass is a fish or a musical term for low pitched notes.
Base is the foundation or underpinning, so a sub woofer adds base or sound pressure not necessarily defining a bass note if the that makes.
"these headphones have a lot of base and and I can clearly distinguish the bass notes."
Hope that helps
I am the last to express a valid opinion on English language since my native language is Greek. However after decades of reading English audio press (mostly UK) I conclude that "bass" is the globally used term for the lowest part of the audio spectrum - also as loan from musical terminology about the lower range of many instruments. After all, it is used in the names of many low-pitched or "deep" sounding instruments. Another indication of the established use is that every "vintage" amplifier with tone controls (UK or USA or Japan made) has "BASS - TREBLE" controls not "BASE - TREBLE". Even if "base" is (was) more correct it is too late to change it in audio terminology.

Some trivia: βάσις-basis and βάση-base are two Greek words, both meaning "base". The first is an older (ancient) type.

Feb 12, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #770 of 6,519
Finding out cool things with the S2 today... I can separate two harmonizing/overtone singers with ease compared to the 660S/600 in which the S2 has distinct layers for each vocalist. S2's win at everything except for whispers and airy upper mids, in which the HD600 does best.

I'm not talking about artificially elevated airy upper mids that some songs tend to have which ends up in excessive grain by the way. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about when I'm referring to this...

Feb 12, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #771 of 6,519
I am the last to express a valid opinion on English language since my native language is Greek. However after decades of reading English audio press (mostly UK) I conclude that "bass" is the globally used term for the lowest part of the audio spectrum - also as loan from musical terminology about the lower range of many instruments. After all, it is used in the names of many low-pitched or "deep" sounding instruments. Another indication of the established use is that every "vintage" amplifier with tone controls (UK or USA or Japan made) has "BASS - TREBLE" controls not "BASE - TREBLE". Even if "base" is (was) more correct it is too late to change it in audio terminology.

Some trivia: βάσις-basis and βάση-base are two Greek words, both meaning "base". The first is an older (ancient) type.

Good explanation, after reading it over and over again I knew it was only matter of time before someone got too annoyed by it 😂

Feb 12, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #772 of 6,519
Good explanation, after reading it over and over again I knew it was only matter of time before someone got too annoyed by it 😂
Did anybody got annoyed by my comment? Anything deleted maybe? I hope not, my intention is not to offend anyone.

Feb 12, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #774 of 6,519
Did anybody got annoyed by my comment? Anything deleted maybe? I hope not, my intention is not to offend anyone.
Can't seen to find the original URL but on another forum the proper word for low musical information did arise...lol.

Bobby McFerrin and the Pentatonic Scale
URL no longer available
"@Everyone who replied to me about the "Base vs. Bass" - Yes, one could use the word base as place to start, however, it's too confusing. It would be much more appropriate to use the word "tonic." This refers to the starting note of a scale. Since "base" is a homophone of "bass," it just adds to the confusion if the person knows only a little bit about music."

So tonic it is as in Gin and Tonic. 🍸

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #775 of 6,519

Feb 13, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #778 of 6,519

Users who are viewing this thread

Back