Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Dec 27, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #5,776 of 6,649
I to went this route. The amp arrives thursday. Do you plan on replacing the tubes?
I'm really liking the stock tubes. I may tube roll in the future as doing so with the Darkvoice was fun but I'll be enjoying it stock for the near future.

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #5,777 of 6,649
I would also not recommend this for a few reasons. From a science POV, metal in this case, is not known to loosen or fatigue from being slightly stretched and held in place. I'm not a science expert but my wife is and I consulted her. The headband may stretch at the moment it is widened and placed between the book but it would not continue to loosen if left there....say overnight. Secondly, this method could potentially crack the plastic that covers the top of the headband (which is prone to crack anyway).

The method that I suggest yields nearly instant results and does not risk breaking the plastic on top of the headband. I could be wrong. Just my 2c.
I can understand your reservations but think that the plastic headband is made to withstand stretching thousands of times - when putting on / taking off the headphone. A few nights at the same width that one uses when bringing the headphone to their head is sufficient to give the desired result. There are no reports (AFAIK) of headband breaking without abuse. Moreover, that's how the clamping force is reduced, anyway, with time passing: the headphone being held open with normal listening.

The other method also works very well but needs attention not to stress/break any plastic parts by improper holding, while forcing the metal part: Both hands must hold the fully retreated metal part only, to change its form. One should also expect a degree of change of the firm clicking or friction when the metal part is going in or out. It can get a bit loose, too, when the metal part becomes less curvy.

I believe that a careful and observant owner can use safely any method without overdoing anything.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #5,778 of 6,649
Currently i have a HD 560S, the HD 660S2 would cost triple the price i could sell my hd 560s here where i live. Is it worth triple the price over the 560S?
I own both and I think yes but not at 600$. If you find a used pair for 300/400$ it would be a great deal.
I suggest you to consider an Hifiman XS instead. Different enough to justify the purchase, while the 660S2 is basically a warmer and more refined 560s (I mean, it's better in almost every category but not by a mile and you will hear the same Sennheiser sound).

Dec 28, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #5,779 of 6,649
I would personally suggest the 600 or 6XX first. They’re cheaper and many people prefer them over the 660 series. I like them all due to the sennheiser tonality.

Dec 28, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #5,780 of 6,649
I own both and I think yes but not at 600$. If you find a used pair for 300/400$ it would be a great deal.
I suggest you to consider an Hifiman XS instead. Different enough to justify the purchase, while the 660S2 is basically a warmer and more refined 560s (I mean, it's better in almost every category but not by a mile and you will hear the same Sennheiser sound).
The 660s2 just recently released here. It's the only one selling for it's msrp for example. The HD600 is costing $450-$500 and the HD 560S is costing $260-$300 brand new with warranty here.

Hifiman is not a good option because we have to import as there is no authorized seller here, and the taxes would kill any deal. There are used ones, Ananda Stealth V3 for $460 and Arya V3 for $800 for example, but following Hifiman QC problems i dont think it would be wise to purchase a used one without any type of warranty.

Dec 28, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #5,781 of 6,649
I got an Edition XS early in the year via AliExpress (no taxes, I got lucky) and it is an amazing headphone BUT, I got hit with bad QC, as it has driver imbalance. Shipping it back would be prohibitively expensive and I would risk the new one being taxed, so, I took the L. Still a great phone, but I have to adjust the channel balance in my amp everytime I want to use it...

Buying a Senny with local 2 year warranty gives me much more peace of mind (and I think it is the only option for "higher end" headphones we got locally)

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #5,782 of 6,649
I got an Edition XS early in the year via AliExpress (no taxes, I got lucky) and it is an amazing headphone BUT, I got hit with bad QC, as it has driver imbalance. Shipping it back would be prohibitively expensive and I would risk the new one being taxed, so, I took the L. Still a great phone, but I have to adjust the channel balance in my amp everytime I want to use it...

Buying a Senny with local 2 year warranty gives me much more peace of mind (and I think it is the only option for "higher end" headphones we got locally)
That's exactly that!

So if there is any Brands reading this, there's a market here guys, come to Brazil please haha.

Dec 29, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #5,783 of 6,649
My HD660S2 arrived and I really liked it. I'm not good with technical words like most here, but in relation to my LCD-4 I believe it is a good complement even though it is at very different levels. I already had the HD800S and I didn't like it for my taste, it had a lot of soundstage and everything else was very normal, different from the HD660S2 - balanced, full-bodied sound, good bass (certainly not like the LCD- 4 haha), a great headphone.

VcQpH95.jpg

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #5,784 of 6,649
Interesting looking cable on the 660S2. What is it? I’ve been using Cardas cables on some of my Sennheisers and enjoying what they add sonically.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #5,786 of 6,649
you are telling me they sound close to a headphone which coast 4 times as much?

The HD660S2 doesn't get enough credit. Give them the right juice, and they're almost right up there competing with those kilobuck headphones. Last night, I threw them in the ring against my ZMF Atrium, powered by my Woo WA3. Taking off my ZMF fanboy hat, I'd say the HD660S2 gives you about 80% of the Atrium's awesomeness for just 1/6th of the price. I'm baffled by those who claim they're overpriced. In my book, it's one of the best audio deals out there. I still have a strong preference for the Atrium, but I must admit that the HD660S2 is quite impressive.

pQp8meg.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #5,788 of 6,649
Should get a new source then maybe?
I own the fiio k7 they power the s2 pretty well but i feel like theu can do more, am i right?

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but I tried the K7 with the 660S2 a while back, and it didn't really blow me away. It's not terrible, but if it's your sole DAC/Amp, you might not be unlocking the full potential of your 660S2. I'm fairly confident that you'd achieve significantly better results with Drop's OTL amp.

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #5,789 of 6,649
My desktop main is currently the HD660S2 driven by the Mjolnir 3. That amp feels like endgame for me and is compatible with many flagship headphones. The S2 doesn’t max out the Mj3 (more like the other way around), but it’s a potent enough combo that I put my Meze Empyrean for sale and am not going to replace it with another planar anytime soon. Basically the S2 is good enough that it can only be upgraded by a multi-kilobuck set of headphones. I wonder what some folks who think the S2 don’t scale well would think if they demoed it with some higher end gear…

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #5,790 of 6,649
Interesting looking cable on the 660S2. What is it? I’ve been using Cardas cables on my Sennheisers and enjoying what they add sonically.
It's a cable I bought a long time ago on Aliexpress when I still had an HD600. It is a low-cost Neutrik 4-pin XLR, but of good quality and very flexible.

you are telling me they sound close to a headphone which coast 4 times as much?
Maybe I misinterpreted. The LCD-4 has more details, is more resolute and offers unparalleled power, it cannot be compared! I meant that the HD660S2 is a great addition to my LCD-4 – that's all! It's a cheap headset, so to speak, and offers a lot of things that much more expensive headphones might not.

The HD660S2 doesn't get enough credit. Give them the right juice, and they're right up there competing with those kilobuck headphones. Seriously underrated! Last night, I threw them in the ring against my ZMF Atrium, powered by my Woo WA3. Taking off my ZMF fanboy hat, I'd say the HD660S2 gives you about 90% of the Atrium's awesomeness for just 1/6th of the price. I'm baffled by those who claim they're overpriced. Seriously? In my book, it's one of the best audio deals out there!

pQp8meg.jpg
I fully agree! Here the HD660S2 is also loving the HA-3A!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back