Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 4, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #452 of 6,844
Hopefully it does release on the 21st like stated on Amazon. Since there are review units out in the wild, it may be accurate.

And not like the HD660S rumours....but release dates and availability may be 2 different things. : )

God, I hope these aren't some kind of hoax/vaporware.

If these are real, then this is amazing news! It's just really strange that Sennheiser hasn't announced anything about them yet.

Guess we'll all just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #453 of 6,844
And not like the HD660S rumours....but release dates and availability may be 2 different things. : )
Yeah I hope the availability is good when it comes out. While I have an HD 400 Pro (HD 560S), it doesn't fill in the gap of the HD 600 series. And the R70X while similarly tuned is it's own animal. The R70X was designed with the HD 600 in mind, that's an instance that shows you the influence of the HD 6xx series imho.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #454 of 6,844
Back to topics.. The main thing is should i buy the Hd660S2 while i have all sennheiser phones with the hdv820 amp ? I mainly use the old regular silver hd800 i think is better than hd800S (more accurate) one of the most technically capable hps even among new TOTL hps from Different brands (also i bought it for 500 euro used :p , bested my 4k utopia in many aspects which i sold) . This new hd660S2 gives the hd6xx series the same transient speed and accuracy as in the HD800 also with more dynamics and more slam not as loose boomy bass as in the hd6xx series? I also use my focal clear mg if I want a really dynamic experience .. Whis hd660S2 would fill the gap and I could sell my Clear MG.

Heya, I know you asked me this through DM's but I just want to move this discussion here in case anyone has similar inquiries.
and my answer is no idea. 🤣

The highest end headphone I've ever owned (personally) is the HD600, excluding IEM's. I've only done one sitting session with the HD800 in a headphone shop in 2017, so my opinion on it is nonexistent. It doesn't help that I also like boomy bass, I grew up around live instruments and I've just been so accustomed to my friend filling the room with his Fender Ernie Ball. The S2 definitely does have better bass definition than the HD600 and HD660S!
The S2 exhibits bass traits where you could feel liquid pulsing in and out of the heart ventricles and it never loses bass detail at the beginning of this song.

Anyways on a more serious note. Remember how there were a bunch of HD660S vs Sundara vs DT1990 posts? I never heard the DT1990, but if the DT Pro 900 X were anything like it, it's that the treble marred every single note. If there was bass; there was treble, if there was anything going on there was treble. Why???

With the Sundara, it had great extension, but it was all it was. You drew a straight line from 1khz to 30hz and that was it, planar linearity. 100hz, 50hz, 30hz, fall off. 30hz, 50hz, 100hz, no impact from 120hz to 200hz. There's slam but no... weight to it.. I had songs that I jammed to for the past 8 years and the Sundara was devoid of any enjoyment. I thoroughly enjoy music with the ER4XR that uses BA drivers, and that's supposed to be a critical listening tool, but I did not enjoy my music with the Sundaras.

That is strange! I hope it's temporary, not a new Sennheiser policy. (All five Sennheisers of mine include full specs). Maybe @ericpalonen could comment on this.

Hm yeah, you're right. My box doesn't come with a spec sheet, the back is a blank gray area too. Hopefully it's just a review sample thing.

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #455 of 6,844
Heya, I know you asked me this through DM's but I just want to move this discussion here in case anyone has similar inquiries.
and my answer is no idea. 🤣

The highest end headphone I've ever owned (personally) is the HD600, excluding IEM's. I've only done one sitting session with the HD800 in a headphone shop in 2017, so my opinion on it is nonexistent. It doesn't help that I also like boomy bass, I grew up around live instruments and I've just been so accustomed to my friend filling the room with his Fender Ernie Ball. The S2 definitely does have better bass definition than the HD600 and HD660S!
The S2 exhibits bass traits where you could feel liquid pulsing in and out of the heart ventricles and it never loses bass detail at the beginning of this song.

Anyways on a more serious note. Remember how there were a bunch of HD660S vs Sundara vs DT1990 posts? I never heard the DT1990, but if the DT Pro 900 X were anything like it, it's that the treble marred every single note. If there was bass; there was treble, if there was anything going on there was treble. Why???

With the Sundara, it had great extension, but it was all it was. You drew a straight line from 1khz to 30hz and that was it, planar linearity. 100hz, 50hz, 30hz, fall off. 30hz, 50hz, 100hz, no impact from 120hz to 200hz. There's slam but no... weight to it.. I had songs that I jammed to for the past 8 years and the Sundara was devoid of any enjoyment. I thoroughly enjoy music with the ER4XR that uses BA drivers, and that's supposed to be a critical listening tool, but I did not enjoy my music with the Sundaras.

Hm yeah, you're right. My box doesn't come with a spec sheet, the back is a blank gray area too. Hopefully it's just a review sample thing.

That's interesting about the DT 900 Pro X, that kinda puts them off from me, never heard them but that is concerning as I never experienced that on a Beyer. I was wondering why a friend who is a big Beyer fan was disappointed with the DT 700/900 Pro X. I never got that with the Tesla Beyers such as the DT 1990, Amiron Home, T1.2, etc. It's just many had a bit too much treble (the T1.3 and T5.3 don't have too much treble) which came off as too sharp or bright on some tracks. I like a powerful bass myself, I have a T1.3 which has a lot of bass and satisfies my need for the room filling bass effect and has so much weight to it's sound.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #456 of 6,844

Thanks for your observations....
At volume this makes most systems fall apart....
https://listen.tidal.com/album/34244282
with my stereo the room is pressurized...if you can play this on the S2 let us know. : )

Feb 4, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #458 of 6,844
That's interesting about the DT 900 Pro X, that kinda puts them off from me, never heard them but that is concerning as I never experienced that on a Beyer. I was wondering why a friend who is a big Beyer fan was disappointed with the DT 700/900 Pro X. I never got that with the Tesla Beyers such as the DT 1990, Amiron Home, T1.2, etc. It's just many had a bit too much treble (the T1.3 and T5.3 don't have too much treble) which came off as too sharp or bright on some tracks. I like a powerful bass myself, I have a T1.3 which has a lot of bass and satisfies my need for the room filling bass effect and has so much weight to it's sound.

I was selling my Sundaras and the customer brought her DT770's for me to try. It was a respectable headphone but not for me, as the mids lean, but the rest of the spectrum was respectable for its' price; good treble extension (though treble characteristics I'm not accustomed to), and good bass extension with a solid punch to it.

Back in 2017 I tried the Beyer T1.1, I preferred it over the HD800. At the time my point of reference were my AKG Q701's, which I bought them for because they were defined as a poor-man's HD800. I was expecting to fall in love with the HD800, but the Beyer T1.1's had more of a wow factor, and ended up listening to them for the majority of my time at the headfoneshop.

Thanks for your observations....
At volume this makes most systems fall apart....
https://listen.tidal.com/album/34244282
with my stereo the room is pressurized...if you can play this on the S2 let us know. : )
I'll let you be the judge of whether the S2 can keep up bassed on my observation.
Just letting you know, there's a bass percussion instrument in there that resembles a taiko but it is definitely not. I am not familiar with this instruments so my descriptions will not be descriptive in this area. I'm just going to call it a bass drum :sweat_smile:

Dinner at the Sugarbush - All the detail is there, the bass doesn't dig deep.
1739 - It seems like the bass here is pushed up higher on the spectrum, so it doesn't lack here. I know there is supposed to be a low frequency rumble here that is supposed to be felt in the chest cavity. I can feel it, but it's not pronounced. There's lap claps in the middle, morsing never gets lost, snare never gets lost, all high frequency instruments at 3:00 to 3:40 does not get lost. Tracking is easy on all of them. The HD600 in comparison typically gets lost when panning at 2 o'clock to 4 o'clock and pushes them to the side a bit.
Popcorn & Pink Champagne - Skipped, not a track I like, sorry :pray:
Hot Oil, No Sweat - I zoned out on this one, spatiousness was immersive though! I liked how the egg shakers scratched my brain This tracked spaced everything out.
The Gate of Gomorrah - I think this one struggled a bit in creating space on the S2. The previous tracks were more pushed forward outwards, the layering is there, but the constant presence in the mid-bass was fatiguing here.
Twinkle Berry - Seems like the bass drum here is well textured and digs deep. It's easy to create an exact rendition of the drum skin shaking in my head.

annnd that's pretty much all the listening I can do in another genre today, I miss my vocals!

Feb 4, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #459 of 6,844

I'll let you be the judge of whether the S2 can keep up bassed on my observation.
Just letting you know, there's a bass percussion instrument in there that resembles a taiko but it is definitely not. I am not familiar with this instruments so my descriptions will not be descriptive in this area. I'm just going to call it a bass drum :sweat_smile:

Dinner at the Sugarbush - All the detail is there, the bass doesn't dig deep.
Thanks again....
I'm not familiar with the rest of the album but Dinner at the Sugarbush was a fun listen on the HD660S, doesn't come close to the stereo and proper sub...but if the S2 do add a bit more......
annnd that's pretty much all the listening I can do in another genre today, I miss my vocals!
There are a couple of interesting goodies hidden in that playlist I've posted.....
https://tidal.com/browse/track/82811590
https://tidal.com/browse/track/3663813
https://tidal.com/browse/track/109867256

Although when it comes to vocals I have to admit I'm an old (literally) fan of Nina Hagen.
https://listen.tidal.com/artist/2596
https://tidal.com/browse/album/16415387

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #460 of 6,844
I was selling my Sundaras and the customer brought her DT770's for me to try. It was a respectable headphone but not for me, as the mids lean, but the rest of the spectrum was respectable for its' price; good treble extension (though treble characteristics I'm not accustomed to), and good bass extension with a solid punch to it.

Back in 2017 I tried the Beyer T1.1, I preferred it over the HD800. At the time my point of reference were my AKG Q701's, which I bought them for because they were defined as a poor-man's HD800. I was expecting to fall in love with the HD800, but the Beyer T1.1's had more of a wow factor, and ended up listening to them for the majority of my time at the headfoneshop.
The DT 770 is on the midrange lean side, been forever since I heard a pair though, don't really remember how they sound.

I haven't heard the T1.1 in a long time. But the T1 was always a very different headphone than the HD 800. Honestly all three generations of the T1 are very different headphones but they all have this unique addicting musicality that you never tire of. The T1.3 is a very warm, bassy, meaty, spacious, and dynamic headphone. The T1.1 I found more ethereal and treble focused. The T1.2 is in-between the two and quite liquid sounding.

Of the numerous dynamic headphones I've heard, I consider the T1.3 to be the King of Bass (combination of quantity and quality) among the open-back dynamics I've heard. While I'm not expecting near as much quantity from the HD 660S2, I want to hear how the quality is in comparison when I eventually get my hands on the new Senns. Been wanting a HD 6xx series headphone with a nice low-end for a long time and I hope the HD 660S2 are the HD 6xx headphone to truly fully satisfy me.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #461 of 6,844
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 4.08.47 PM.png
Looks like the Canadian pre-book is now out also. : ( Still a few weeks to go though. : )

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #462 of 6,844
I have own 900 Pro X and own 1990 Pro, the difference between them is like night and day, the 900 Pro X does not have the same high treble peak as 1990, it is actually easy to listen to and very all-round, a very good headphone for the money in my opinion.

Feb 4, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #463 of 6,844
Wow, where to start (and I am not in the eastern block). ANYWHERE/ANY in caps, those are pretty resolute levels there. :)

Apparently, per 2021 disposable income data, Slovenia, Lithuania, and Czechia are above Spain. An average family in Spain cannot afford Sennheiser headphones or "ANY" high-fi? That's news to me. I visited three audiophile stores in Madrid in a 2km radius a few months ago. Poor things, how do they manage to stay in business I wonder.

Also, the disposable income levels of many EU countries in the old east are very near Japan's. I seem to recall that that country has a rather healthy high-fi scene.

And although disposable income is higher as a figure per capita in the U.S., there is more income inequality, meaning that the "average" family in the EU, east or west, can probably afford high-fi just fine, if that's their hobby.

Not sure how many average families can afford high-fi in Detroit, El Paso, New Orleans, Tulsa or West Virginia, though. Sennheiser should probably release the 660S2 later there...
No.

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #464 of 6,844
I have own 900 Pro X and own 1990 Pro, the difference between them is like night and day, the 900 Pro X does not have the same high treble peak as 1990, it is actually easy to listen to and very all-round, a very good headphone for the money in my opinion.
I do want to listen to them myself and see what I think, nothing beats listening for yourself. All headphones have conflicting impressions due to a variety of factors.

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #465 of 6,844
Wow, where to start (and I am not in the eastern block). ANYWHERE/ANY in caps, those are pretty resolute levels there. :)

Apparently, per 2021 disposable income data, Slovenia, Lithuania, and Czechia are above Spain. An average family in Spain cannot afford Sennheiser headphones or "ANY" high-fi? That's news to me. I visited three audiophile stores in Madrid in a 2km radius a few months ago. Poor things, how do they manage to stay in business I wonder.

Also, the disposable income levels of many EU countries in the old east are very near Japan's. I seem to recall that that country has a rather healthy high-fi scene.

And although disposable income is higher as a figure per capita in the U.S., there is more income inequality, meaning that the "average" family in the EU, east or west, can probably afford high-fi just fine, if that's their hobby.

Not sure how many average families can afford high-fi in Detroit, El Paso, New Orleans, Tulsa or West Virginia, though. Sennheiser should probably release the 660S2 later there...
I blocked him. Have no reason to other than he is either ignorant, or a troll. Regardless.....

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back