Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 17, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #2,506 of 6,844
I wouldn't put much stock in anything Zeos says tbh.

The Ghost seems to have put an honest effort forward. I looked into their driver, and it doesn't seem like just another "off the shelf" type.

Have not seen sapphire or... "vaporized sapphire" since the Sony vintage days. Anyway I digress.

But cheap things like even KOSS, have killer musicality, so it's possible with 109 pro pads (which are comfy as H-E-double hockey sticks)

But I feel for chi-fi offerings... trying to get in there and make a real winner.

Hard not to root for them.... but the 6xx just slays .

Sennheiser with their 6xx at 2 Benjamins....

The spare parts.... I think even hd545 and 565 drivers can go in them, as well as all 580/600/650/660.... and soon s2 drivers :p when they are available as spares.

Even m109 Pro, built beautifully.... very ergonomic/comfortable .... cannot compete with 660s2 with it's history and capabilities (being able to be taken apart and assembled in one minute... maybe two) without tools.

Just .... the 6 series is just a MONSTER ... and 660s2 is just the 2023 MONSTER.

Just think how many 6 series drivers, headbands, pads... grills. Its no wonder you can keep it going for decades.

As for 109 Pro, someone said it draws attention to the headphone, and not the music. This is true. The sharpness (and I am a Beyer classic fan) seems a bit much at times, the bass overpowering (but in the mids) not necessarily sub bass. It has some party tricks, and can make certain tracks fun, but it seems like quite quickly to fatigue. And I don't fatigue (context of listening to music) that easily.

The s2 is just easy on the brain. The focus is on the music. Same with certain Fostex/Denon, the treble and bass (primarily subbass) is "fun" but can be distracting, and cause fatigue.

Also that GHOST looks like a copy of the 580... and shure 1840... mixed together....

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #2,507 of 6,844
You need to exclusively listen to them for the near future 1 or 2 weeks. Then after you can compare. I did today and do not like the HD660S v.1 so much anymore.
I would have agreed with this at one time, but now I realise that basically you can used to anything, and also whatever you’re used to will sound better than anything else, at least initially. I now think it’s better to have a reference of some sort and compare other things relative to that reference. There are just so many good headphones now that it would be easy to be completely satisfied with any number of headphones, if you listen only to that one headphone.

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #2,508 of 6,844
So, nothing conclusive about Axel Grell’s involvement with the HD660S here, but interesting comments nonetheless, especially with regard to the HD580 Precision:-

https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-qWXtNOdB18t/learn/interview-axel-grell-sennheiser-headphones.html

So I imagine there are always design tweaks you can make to a set of headphones.

Yes, if you look at the HD 660 S, the diaphragm shape is very similar to the basic design I made back in 1992. We have made small improvements from time to time, but the shape is very similar. Of course, the same processes that took three weeks back then, now take less than two days with computers.

The simulation of complex diaphragm and voice coils can be done in real time. Back then, we had a card system for simulations and measurements — and we had to wait weeks for results.

Axel Grell

Axel Grell is Sennheiser's chief headphone engineer, and has been with the company since 1991.
So it is pretty impressive that you guys were able to get so far along back then.

Yes, I actually have [an early edition of] the HD 580 at my house. I don’t get a lot of time to just relax and listen at home, but when I do, I’ll still use those headphones a lot.
What an interesting interview! A few years back but enlightening!

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #2,510 of 6,844
For me, fun headphones always get replaced, I bought and sold so many of them - The one that stays are usually very natural and accurate sounding headphones. like the HD650/6XX series and now the NDH 30. These will stay for a very very long time.- like decades or keep till death do us apart. 😁

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #2,511 of 6,844
For me, fun headphones always get replaced, I bought and sold so many of them - The one that stays are usually very natural and accurate sounding headphones. like the HD650/6XX series and now the NDH 30. These will stay for a very very long time.- like decades or keep till death do us apart. 😁
I hesitate to say it here (apologies to everyone) but for me the *cough* NDH 30 is the (my) new HD650.

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #2,512 of 6,844
I would have agreed with this at one time, but now I realise that basically you can used to anything, and also whatever you’re used to will sound better than anything else, at least initially. I now think it’s better to have a reference of some sort and compare other things relative to that reference. There are just so many good headphones now that it would be easy to be completely satisfied with any number of headphones, if you listen only to that one headphone.
Oh after that brain burn in period, I switch between the cans I have on hand quite frequently because my brain kinda saves each can's sound profile. It is only to get the programming done faster. And later cans which don't get headtime get sold if it makes sense. This is how my 3rd and last HD650 disappeared.

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #2,513 of 6,844
I hesitate to say it here (apologies to everyone) but for me the *cough* NDH 30 is the (my) new HD650.
Says someone who has not listened to the HD660S2, ha!

Mar 17, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #2,514 of 6,844
I just want to say, the ZMF earpads for the HD6XX series are primo quality. Just got them today and can't comment on how they change the sound of the 660S2, but the perforated lambskin and suede pads are both heavenly soft on my ears and such a nice contrast to the comparatively rough stock velour pads. Also, they seem to be better constructed than the Dekoni pads I've tried in the past.

I'm in for a long listening session with the 660S2 tonight! :L3000:

Mar 17, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #2,517 of 6,844
I wouldn't put much stock in anything Zeos says tbh.
Well he did call the included carrying case for the Monolith M1570 a "****ing UFO of absurdity" so he was right on the money with that one.

Mar 17, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #2,518 of 6,844
The 800 was replaced with the 800s so was the 800 a fun hp?:)

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #2,520 of 6,844
I’ve not been without an HD650 since 2005 and I now own the NDH 30. I like them both but the HD650 will always hold a special place in my heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back