Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 4, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #1,981 of 6,803
Will after an evening of Pollini, no the S2 do not do the playing justice, IMHO it's not the fault of the Senns, to be honest I do not honestly believe any headphone can.
Actually switched to my stereo, really cannot listen to any piano recordings seriously on any headphone, for such a majestic instrument it needs to breath and permeate the rooms not just the space between my ears. :relieved:

I can understand that, while the sound is very detailed in good headphones the physical aspect is totally absent. I played Pollini last night through my speakers and even at -50dB on my RX-A2050 so not loud I almost jump when Pollini pushes it a little harder. It's physical even if not loud. Can't be experienced in headphones.

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #1,982 of 6,803
I have the Meze 109 Pro and I am comparing both for a week. Need time to settle in my thoughts. They both have their strength.

I too have the Meze 109 Pro and HD650, which I am considering swapping for HD660S2. Looking forward to your comparison notes & conclusions :thumbsup:

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #1,983 of 6,803
Does constantly disconnecting the wire wear out the ports?
I am storing every day in the original box with the cable attached. I would not like to plug and unplug these cables every day.

I believe now they discontinued the fantastic original box also because of the shipping costs. When the package arrived to my home with my 660s was quite large. Also as they discontinued this box for all other 6 series it did not make sense for them to keep it only for 660s2.

I believe they should give it to a third party now to produce this box and sell it in amazon so anyone like me that really wants it to be able to buy it separately.

Is so sad a nice box like that to be in the history book.

Mar 4, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #1,985 of 6,803
I'm a little bit worried that I might actually like the S2 better than HD800S without EQ for music. They are still so different that I will surely keep them both.

I have to try how they perform in FPS gaming. HD800S = god tier gaming headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #1,986 of 6,803
I thought it was "implemented without changes" except for tighter tolerances? Not pulling this out of thin air, it was discussed pretty specifically.
Not trying to argue, but I would appreciate clarification - given that some things like the listed sensitivity differ in their specs (though they do have the same listed 120ohm impedance), something has to be different, I would think.​
Here's the quote
The NDH 30 uses the diaphragm of the HD 560S. It's a polymer blend with extraordinary internal dampening, so afterringing after the initial impulse is minimal.
I think you're confusing HD 560S/NDH 30 with the HD 660S/HD 700 conversation.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 4, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #1,987 of 6,803
It certainly doesn’t seem like progress, it has to be said. There’s no getting away from the fact that it’s a purely cost cutting move.
And I donated the HD650 and HD660S boxes to my wife for her storage of small items. The HD 800 Box ended even worse, it was stored in the basemant for years and was infected by a green fungus. Had to throw it away. I have the monstrous box of the Sony Z1R stored in a dry place, just because i want to sell it one day...
I listen to Headphones most of the time, the boxes make no sound.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #1,988 of 6,803
And I donated the HD650 and HD660S boxes to my wife for her storage of small items. The HD 800 Box enden even worse, it was stored in the basemant for years and was infected by a green fungus. Had to throw it away. I ave the monstrous box of the Sony Z1R stored in a dry place, just because i want to seel it one day...
I listen to Headphones most of the time, the boxes make no sound.
Absolutely! I understand this of course, and maybe it helps to save the planet, but many do actually use them for storage. I used to, but have enough drawer space now not to have to use the boxes. Nonetheless, it feels like a cheapening of a product that used to be one of the best headphones on the market. (650)

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #1,989 of 6,803
Here's the quote

I think you're confusing HD 560S/NDH 30 with the HD 660S/HD 700 conversation.
Jarmo also wrote (post #1783)
"The highest performance version of it sits in the HD 560S, with the new polymer blend diaphragm and a very light aluminium voice coil. This transducer is also implemented without changes in the NDH 30. However, Neumann is incredibly strict on tolerances for this model in a way that it's on the edge of what's possible in headphone series production, which may contribute to positive characteristics like soundstage."
It's where some of the confusion originated.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #1,990 of 6,803
If a storage case is critical, one has two choices:
  1. buy only those headphones that come with a storage case (e.g. Meze 109 Pro) or
  2. buy the case separately (plenty available online).
Complaining online is also an alternative, albeit, not very practical :)

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #1,991 of 6,803
  1. buy only those headphones that come with a storage case (e.g. Meze 109 Pro) or
I have five boxes. Six if you include the HD800 box. I'm not complaining, just pointing out that its a cost cutting exercise which makes a once premium product feel cheaper.

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #1,992 of 6,803
In that case, the NDH 30 has a very nice hard case (pun semi-intended). Also, true reference sound but a very enjoyable one.

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #1,993 of 6,803
Mar 4, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #1,994 of 6,803
I own the Sennheiser HD660S and my impressions have always been very favourable. I have been using them with my marantz SR5010 amplifier and they are awesome. I have read the reviews but there are several things that I do not quite understand with this model HD 660S2: 1. I do not understand why it happens to have 300 ohms which makes it difficult to move them in environments that can only be heard with dac/headphone amplifier support; 2. I also don't understand why reduce the size of the cable. It would make sense to keep a length of 3 meters and whether to have another 1.8 with an adapter for balanced. 3, Lastly, I don't understand why paying almost $600 does not come with a case in conditions as if the HD600S model came and not that cloth that only serves to prevent it from collecting dust. What do you think about it?. Thank you

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #1,995 of 6,803
Jarmo also wrote (post #1783)
"The highest performance version of it sits in the HD 560S, with the new polymer blend diaphragm and a very light aluminium voice coil. This transducer is also implemented without changes in the NDH 30. However, Neumann is incredibly strict on tolerances for this model in a way that it's on the edge of what's possible in headphone series production, which may contribute to positive characteristics like soundstage."
It's where some of the confusion originated.
I think we are missing the point talking about different driver tech. I used to be believe driver contributed most of the quality in a headphone. However, that believe could not be further from the truth. Take HD600/650 as an example, the actual driver is fairly mediocre with no outstanding quality if you were to listen to one in free space. However, through driver tuning (shape, guides, damping, absorption, pads, etc.) senn was able to turn a mediocre driver into a great headphone.

One other misconception I had was that in order to reproduce any sub bass you need a 50mm driver like the ones in ZMF. However, I was proven wrong when I heard the NDH30 with its tiny 38mm driver.

I have in the past complained to a headphone designer that if only Focal would not be so cheap and use 50mm drivers they would have a near perfect Utopia with real sub bass. However, this person said there are good reasons to choose smaller drivers over 50mm drivers and Focal just needed to better tune their headphones to achieve great performance because the driver itself was rather great. Having heard NDH30, I do have to admit 38mm drivers can produce pretty great sub bass performance.

So my expectations/belief on various things have been subverted first by HD600/650 and now by NDH30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back