Sennheiser hd 650's popping
Jun 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rawdawg3234

100+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of hd 650's and I'm running them through the fostex hp-p1.
Every now and again I get some popping. I've made sure my connections are good and I'm a reasonable distance from any electronics.
Would appreciate any input on this subject.
Please help

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 5
The connectors to the headphones can become loose over time but if the headphones are new i would exchange them. Have you tried unplugging the cord or did you just making sure its pushed in all the way? Try moving the cord around and see if you can reproduce the sound. Also try plugging them into another source and see if that helps.

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm on the road now but I'll definitely try that thanks. They only just started popping within the last 3 hours of use. I have about 12 hours on them.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I'm on the road now but I'll definitely try that thanks. They only just started popping within the last 3 hours of use. I have about 12 hours on them.

Try them on another amp, or right out of the iPod and see if it goes away.

There's a known issue with Apple's iDevices on the USB out from the dock port (as the HP-P1 uses.)  I had similar issues with the Pure I-20 dock, contacted their service and was informed of the issue.  Supposedly doing a hard restart of the phone/pod (press and hold power and home until it totally shuts down, then do it again while the Apple logo is displayed for startup.) is supposed to resolve the issue temporarily until it happens again.  That did nothing for me on my iPod Touch (3 & 4) but many have reported that it does work, at least with the iPhones.)  and I ended up buying a Squeezebox to use instead.  Doesn't help when out and about, though.  The Fostex is still the best solution for that, or the new HiFiman players.

It's a known issue on the Apple side, and Apple is meticulous to delete, lock, or bury any threads on their support forums that mention the issue.  I suspect it's an issue in the hardware itself, not in the software implementation otherwise they'd have fixed it rather than hiding it.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 5
yup it was my iPhone causing the problem. i restarted it and all was well. thanks for the advise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back