Sennheiser HD 650 Headphone Driver Dents Help
Dec 21, 2021 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Harry123123

New Head-Fier
Hello

Headphone audio was distorted for some time in my HD 650's and I decided to take them apart and clean the drivers.

There was a ton of hair, dust and dirt inside both drivers I used a tweezer and soft paintbrush to clean them.

In the process I think I might of cause a few very small dimples which I don't think they can be fixed with tape.

My questions are do I have to replace the driver with the dimples, and also do dimples happen naturally? there was a long time period where I did not have a foam cushion over my drivers.

The audio sounds better and does not sound any different.

Attachments

• InkedIMG_20211221_023551_BURST002_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_20211221_023551_BURST002_LI.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 21, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 5
I've always fixed these dimples by sticking a tiny piece of double sided tape to the end of a plastic spudger, plectrum/pick or toothpick (anything sharp/thin and non-ferrous) and gently pressing into the dipmles and then pulling them out with the stickiness of the tape.

These diaphragms are actually pretty robust, so don't worry too much about making the dimple larger in the process of eliminating it.
Sometimes, you make another dimple further along the diraphragm after removing the first one... but the newer ones tend to be much easier to pull out again.

With a little bit of patience and a steady hand it's actually a pretty straight forward process.

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 5
I've always fixed these dimples by sticking a tiny piece of double sided tape to the end of a plastic spudger, plectrum/pick or toothpick (anything sharp/thin and non-ferrous) and gently pressing into the dipmles and then pulling them out with the stickiness of the tape.

These diaphragms are actually pretty robust, so don't worry too much about making the dimple larger in the process of eliminating it.
Sometimes, you make another dimple further along the diraphragm after removing the first one... but the newer ones tend to be much easier to pull out again.

With a little bit of patience and a steady hand it's actually a pretty straight forward process.
Would these dimples affect perfomance I cleaned them last night and they actually sound better then before. I don't notice any audio difference. I would rather not touch and leave them alone if there nothing to worry about

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 5

Took your advice and it worked althought theres a scratch on very small scratch on driver that wont come out lol

Attachments

• IMG_20211221_232000_BURST001_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20211221_232000_BURST001_COVER.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211221_232000_BURST002.jpg
    IMG_20211221_232000_BURST002.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211221_231956.jpg
    IMG_20211221_231956.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 22, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 5
Would these dimples affect perfomance I cleaned them last night and they actually sound better then before. I don't notice any audio difference. I would rather not touch and leave them alone if there nothing to worry about
Nah. Tiny ones aren't really big enough to make any audible difference... usually.
But, if there are enough dimples it will changes the diaphragm tension, resonant frequency etc etc and will affect the sound.

It's probably best practice to remove all of them, since it wouldn't surprise me that even one small one in the 'right' place could cause audible distortion.

Took your advice and it worked althought theres a scratch on very small scratch on driver that wont come out lol
Nice.
Scratch is probably there from brushing, but nothing to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back