Sennheiser HD-650 headphone band (Plastic)
Jul 16, 2008 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

John D.

500+ Head-Fier
Got home from work and wen't to put on my HD-650's. I just received some new discs in the mail, was looking forward to hearing them. As I went to put the headphones on, the plastic headband broke in two. I've had these for about a year now. I bought them slightly used and have enjoyed them very much, I never thought they would break in two. Is this a spare part I can purchase?
Tried the Sennheiser site, it's not working for me at this time. Anyone else have this happen to them?
eek.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 15
I've had mine for over a year and no problems. When I stretch them to put them on my head, it seems only the metal extensions bend. But to answer your question, yes Sennheiser does sell replacement headbands.

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 15
sorry to hear that, and yea i've seen that a lot around here, but only when people try to hyper extend them to make them looser. the fact that they broke while you were merely putting them on is surprising. why doesn't senn make the headband metal? they need to learn from beyer.

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry to hear that, and yea i've seen that a lot around here, but only when people try to hyper extend them to make them looser. the fact that they broke while you were merely putting them on is surprising. why doesn't senn make the headband metal? they need to learn from beyer.

Your absolutely right, this would never have happened with my AKG-701's.
For the price you have to pay for set of these, it really comes off looking like a cheap set of headphones.
Has anyone made this repair? or do they have to go to Sennheiser service dept?
rolleyes.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 15
If anyone else finds themselves in the same dilemma.
I ordered a new headband from Sennheiser ($78.00),
it showed up today, snapped right into place.
I'm a happy camper once again.

suggestion: be gentle with your HD-650's
biggrin.gif

One other thing, there's a three warranty on this,
but I didn't buy mine new.
frown.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #9 of 15
You guys got it easy :p
My HD650's are trashed.
-I fell asleep with them on, headband snapped.
-Sound started cutting out after about a year, and is now completely gone in one channel, cable is busted.
-The metal grille on the cups have dents in them, after hitting the edge of my table a few times.
-The paint on the metal grilles is wearing of.
-The headband's plastic started chipping off a few weeks after i got them.

Yeah, i'm a bit rough with my headphones, since i don't have a proper stand for them, but my old Sennheiser HD480's are 18 years old and hardly show any signs of abuse. (Although the cable doesn't work properly anymore.)

I contacted Sennheiser Nordic, who reffered me to the dealer, (which is standard practice here). The dealer isn't answering my emails.

Sucks huh?

Good news: I bought AKG K701's about a year ago. Their build quality seems to be much higher, can't even find the tiniest scratch on them after a years (ab?)use. They come with a stand.
Also i like their sound signature a little better, bass is more controlled and they're a bit more neutral than the HD650's.

I'm definitely not buying Sennheisers again
frown.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys got it easy :p
My HD650's are trashed.
-I fell asleep with them on, headband snapped.
-Sound started cutting out after about a year, and is now completely gone in one channel, cable is busted.
-The metal grille on the cups have dents in them, after hitting the edge of my table a few times.
-The paint on the metal grilles is wearing of.
-The headband's plastic started chipping off a few weeks after i got them.

Ouch, no offense but if your HD650 had legs it would run away from such owner long time ago.
icon10.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 15
I owned 650s and the past and currently own 580s and I have no issues with paint chipping or my headbands getting snapped off.

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch, no offense but if your HD650 had legs it would run away from such owner long time ago.
icon10.gif

LOL!!!
popcorn.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

Yeah i know
smile.gif

Though my point was, i use my headphones ALOT, and don't have the patience to baby them, and the Senns simply don't have the build quality for rough use. The AKG's apparently do.
Also, the cable is a known weakness in Senns, from what I've read from other users. A standard replacement cable is fairly cheap though.

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 15
$78 is a lot of money for a headband...and a fragile one at that. it's quite unfortunate that their durability is the only thing that has held me back all these years from purchasing my own set of hd650s, even though i love their sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back