Sennheiser HD 650 + fiio e9 review
Nov 7, 2011 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Marleybob217

Headphoneus Supremus
This is a review of the HD 650 + the e9 connected to my laptop via a traktor audio 2 DAC.

Directly compared to: Mackie mr8 mk2 studio monitors and DT770 pro 80 ohm.
I am a drummer so I know how the drums are supposed to sound, bass: kick drum - mids: snare - highs: hi-hat and other cymbals. 

The HD650 and the e9 have been in my posession for about two weeks now, and I have listened to them a lot!

So I bought the HD650 to complement my studio monitors since well, they make sound, and not everybody likes sound (neighbours, girlfriend). This was supposed to be done by the dt770 pro's but they really weren't up for the task.
What I didn't like in the dt770 were the recessed/thin mids, the harsh and sibilant treble and the bloated and ugly bass.
Also the bass deformed the mids, and the sound was not tight at all and started deforming quite fast.

HD650:
So like everybody else here on head-fi I researched my a** off to find a headphone that was fantastic for not too much money.
That was when I stumbled upon the HD650, supposebly a deep and warm sounding headphone, that wasn't too fast, had a veil and is incredbly hard to drive.

Well all of these properties are heavily over exaggerated or just not true at all. 
-It sounds deep, the bass goes really low, and this is very good with ALL music since it does not exaggerate the bass but just let you hear what is in the recording. 
-It sounds pretty warm, but not because it has too much bass, but because it hass really fantastic full mids.
-It is fast, maybe not the fastest, but more than fast enough for every genre.
-I have only heard the veil sort of when I connected the headphone directly into my DAC, and even then it wasn't that bad. When the hd650 is connected to the e9 it is not veiled at all, just an urban legend that originated by people whom(?) didn't amplify it well enough.
-My DAC makes it go really loud, like ear deafening levels loud, it does lack detail and it get's more muddy when connected this way (still sounds better than the dt770 pro 80 ohm though). Even through the iphone the volume is loud enough(not really loud though).

Needless to say I really enjoy these headphones and was pleasantly surprised by how much these stereotypes were exaggerated.

So here is my own impression of the HD650 amped to the e9:

Next to my studio monitors they sound pretty neutral, they probably aren't as neutral but really not bad.

Treble: just a pleasure to listen to, very much detail, good sparkle, not as much as the mackie's but still more than enough.
The hi-hats in the song a-punk by vampire weekend just sound so realistic.

Mids: this is where most headphones really scr*w up making it impossible for me to fully enjoy the music.
The HD650's have really full rich mids, with great detail. The song You are a tourist by death cab for cutie has a really cool guitar motif that starts at around 45 seconds in the song that sounds really full and penetrating. The HD650 also convey's the snare drum  really beautifully in this song with a powerful attack.
For vocals I listened to the song video games by lana del rey and all I can say it sounds really natural and effortless.

Bass: Well it goes really low, even at 20 hz it makes my ears shake (testsounds.com) while my studio monitors don't go much lower than 40 hz. So in bass quality the HD650 wins over the mackie's.
The bass itself is not bloated or over pronounced at all. If I want my ears to shake I have to turn the bass up quite a bit with the EQ, but with a good bass boost it has just as much bass as the dt770 while maintaining excellent quality.
The bass in the song space time by delta heavy sounds fenomenal with the HD650's, you can really hear the deep extension of the bass here.
Kick drums are well defined (tight) and palpable, the song into the mirror by minus the bear is a good example.

Soundstage: Very natural, not too big but not small either, perfect for me.

SPL: This is something many reviewers leave out of the review, I find this to be one of the most important features of a headphone.
Some songs like vandals by dirtyphonics just need to be listened to in loud levels. With the DT770 pro I couldn't enjoy the music at loud levels since it would deform really badly, the HD650 does not deform and maintains it tightness even at extreme volume's.
I believe the specs say it is about 103 db, but I know it can go much louder than that.

People often say full size speakers will always be better than headphones, this is what I have to say about that:
While speakers are able of making your complete body shake with bass they do have less soundstage (in my opinion!). Since speakers are usually infront of you sounds will never appear to be coming from the back like it is possible with headphones.

Final verdict: I searched for something that could replace my mackie studio monitors, and I have succeeded. The sound quality is about the same, the monitors have slightly more sparkle in the treble but the HD650 has a better bass extension, and a nicer soundstage in my opinion.
This set-up is really perfect for me and is an amazing allround performer. I honestly don't think it get's much better than this, at most 5% but you will end up paying thousands of dollars more.

Thanks for reading!

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 17

Quote:
While speakers are able of making your complete body shake with bass they do have less soundstage. 

popcorn.gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 17
Well normally when listening to music you kind of want the sound in front of you as that tends to be where the performers are

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for the review.. I just started looking for a pair of headphones to enjoy as much as I enjoy my mr5s. It's useful to hear a comparison between the Mackies and the HD650s.

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for the review.. I just started looking for a pair of headphones to enjoy as much as I enjoy my mr5s. It's useful to hear a comparison between the Mackies and the HD650s.

Great! I think you will enjoy the hd650's if you are used to the sound of mackie studio monitors. Only downside, it will probably cost you about the same or more for the headphone and amp.

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 17
Nice! im leaning towards the 650's as a future upgrade from my 598's. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #10 of 17
just wait till you spend a bit more on a tube amp or a very good solid state. Then the hd650's become a magical pair of headphones. 

I'm addicted to mine. Can't go through a single day without listening to it. 

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 17
i have the little dot MKIV with M8161 tubes. It's quite an amazing pair. If you want to consider tubes you can check out darkvoice 336se (hear pretty good synergy there) or something diy like a bottlehead crack. the schitt valhalla is good too. but there are tons of options and even more threads regarding hd650 tube pairing so defiantly do some research.

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #13 of 17
bump...

Thanks for the review, I am also planning to get a HD650 paired with the Fiio E9. I've heard many people saying that the HD650 needs very powerful amps...

From your review it seems like the E9 would be satisfactory for the HD650:)

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
bump...

Thanks for the review, I am also planning to get a HD650 paired with the Fiio E9. I've heard many people saying that the HD650 needs very powerful amps...

From your review it seems like the E9 would be satisfactory for the HD650:)

The Fiio E9 drives my HD650's just fine , is it however as good as my Asgard? No , but its a fantastic little amp that will sound good and drive nearly anything on the market. I've never understood this "veil" bullsh*t. I love how the HD650's sound , like nothing else I've ever heard and I've never felt like I wasted any money on my 650's at all. 

To me the veil is just sound signature of the HD650. Without the veil I don't think I would enjoy it as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back