Sennheiser HD 600, HD 650 or AKG K701 for classical music?
Apr 2, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait. So K701 has MORE bass than HD600s?

The graphs say so:

graphCompare.php

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #17 of 33
all of those headphones are great for classic music, you should try them then find your cup of tea.

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #19 of 33
K701 has such a huge soundstage that it makes Classical music a delight. Though, a double bass still sounds better on a HD650 imho, because you have more the impression of feeling it, like if you were next to it.
Both are excellent. It is really a matter of taste here. If you think your HD555 has enough bass for classical and that you could have a little less of it, then go with the K701. If you want more bass, go with HD650. No matter what, you will get wider soundstage.

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #20 of 33
I think it depends on what you would want. I hear the K701 has huge soundstage as mentioned already so that would be good if you like to be able to pinpoint instrument locations and such. The HD650s add a certain liquid smoothness to the sound of strings that make it sound mesmerizing.

I have the W5ks and HD650s and I'd say the HD650s are best in bringing out the emotion of mellow/sad sounding string music which honestly makes me feel like crying at times. When its a brighter score it makes me feel happy
tongue.gif
I listen to primarily violin music like Joshua Bell and Perlman.
Not sure about the HD600s but similar to HD650s but brighter?

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #21 of 33
The HD650s are just better and I think the response curve posted above reflects that. You can see that the peaks and valleys with k701 are much more extreme, especially in the upper midrange. That is how I am reading it--I am not an expert in such things though just an enthusiast. I seriously doubt the k701 is even in the same league performance wise.

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because of that infernal Sennheiser clamp I can never forget I'm wearing the HD600 and I suspect this is true for the HD650 too so I switched to the Yuin PK1/MiniBox-E+ combo, the Sony MDR-F1 and the Alessandro MS1 for classical music because I firmly believe comfort is just as important as SQ for the extended listening sessions classical music requires.

This is easily adjusted and is no reason to avoid HD6XX.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #23 of 33
I've owned all three so I feel I've got some insight to your problem.

My favorite of all three is the hd-650. Out of all three headphones I've kept this pair.

I did not like the K701 very much. It sounded weird and out of balance to me. There was a weird peak somewhere between the midrange and high end that stuck out like a sore thumb and made listening to music distracting because all I could hear was that weird little spike. The bass didn't sound sweet or full or any of the words that I would want associated with my bass. It sounded empty, hollow and without weight. It just sounded weird. I did not like it. But, that's just IMHO.

I'm going to agree with most of the posts about the hd-600 being more neutral and lighter than the hd-650. Although it does sound a bit lighter than the hd-650, it is still an excellent choice for classical. Honestly, I don't remember much from it. Maybe because I realized that the hd-650's took all its strengths and added to them.

Which brings me to the hd-650's, which I'm sure by now you know that I love. They're amazing. Its sound has a weight and it is awesome. That weight adds to texture and contributes to that 'liquid smoothness' someone was raving about. The soundstage is huge and the headphones seem almost transparent. It isn't limited by the drivers or anything like that unlike the K701's. A lot of people think they're veiled, I'm going to have to agree but the highs are there make no mistake! I got a zu-mobius cable that helped take some of that veil off which helped a bunch.

I agree with that other poster about having a good setup to get everything out of the hd-650's. I've got a bel Canto Dac-1 and a nice SP tubeamp coming out of a cheapo sony cd player (cd595?) that have a lot to do with making this headphone.

If you've got the goods, go for the hd-650.

Great advice in this thread!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by luciyuspax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi! I live in Istanbul/ Turkey

Just have them ship to Constantinople. I know it's Istanbul, not Constantinople, but if you've a shipment in Constantinople, it'll be waiting in Istanbul.

(sorry, I've never had the opportunity for a TMBG joke.)

Back to the original point, I think the clarity of the k701 might give it an edge, but ultimately it depends on what you're using to drive these phones. They all require a _good_ amp.

Sep 7, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because of that infernal Sennheiser clamp I can never forget I'm wearing the HD600 and I suspect this is true for the HD650 too so I switched to the Yuin PK1/MiniBox-E+ combo, the Sony MDR-F1 and the Alessandro MS1 for classical music because I firmly believe comfort is just as important as SQ for the extended listening sessions classical music requires.

Funny, I can put the 650s on my head and forget I'm wearing them; they feel lighter than air and, though they fit securely, I feel none of the clamping force you mention.

I guess it all comes down to head-size in the end. Would you say you had an especially big swede? - Mine's kind of average-size (I think).

Having finally acquired them for classical listening, I can unhesitatingly recommend the Denon AH-D5000 over the HD-650 (which I have used for 4 years now). For me there is no longer any competition: the ultimate classical can has arrived.

And I find them _almost_ as comfortable as the 650s for extendend wear.

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #27 of 33
Sep 7, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #28 of 33
According to the Sennheiser website, "[The HD600] is the ideal choice for the professional recording engineer recording classical music." By that, I would guess, they are saying it is quite neutral. The HD650 is said to be more "immersive" offering a luxurious listening experience. You would have to determine which of these appeals to you most if you were picking between those two.

Sep 7, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #29 of 33
I'd go for the K701 for classical. More detailed and a pretty big soundstage (wouldn't call it huge as some people here said, there are cans with bigger soundstage).
What is most amazing to me about the K701 sounstage is not it's size but how incredibly realistic and natural it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back