Sennheiser HD 600 + E-MU 0204
Nov 30, 2013 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

beka b

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm getting new headphones soon and I'm considering the HD 600 among a few others. The only problem is that although theoretically regarding impedance compatibility and from what I've read they should sound somewhat decent on my E-MU 0204, I do not really know how this setup would work out. I'm wondering if there is enough power to drive them properly.

E-MU 0204 specs:
http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?pid=20347

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the HD 600 and these types of setups?

Help would be appreciated!

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 8
E-MU 0204 is pretty weaksauce with mere 16mW. And if my E-MU 0404's headphone out quality is any indication, I'd say you better not use it as a headphone amplifier. It is still a good as DAC with analog lineout.

What is your budget? If you can spend about 99+shipping, you can grab ones like Schiit Audio's Magni, or venerable PAV2v2 amp with 70 bucks (which includes shipping), and you are pretty good to go for a lot of headphones.

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the reply, I will look into that. Those amps would be in my budget.

How do you think the HD 598/558 would pair up with the E-MU?

Won't be good. The problem is 5x8 ones have low impedance while EMU has rather high impedance for its headphone out, which translates it will have poor damping for those low impedance headphones. HD600, with higher impedance, will suffer far less or none to this issue.

You will need a headphone amp regardless. With low power out and high impedance out, there aren't many headphones that can avoid its downfalls.

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 8
So I thought. What would be the effect on the sound of the HD 600 with these E-MU shortcomings? Would it be thin/weak or would there be a volume issue or both?

I'm asking this because I was thinking of maybe sticking with this particular setup for a while and then buying an amp later on. I don't listen to music overly loud so I think the volume issue wouldn't be a problem in that case.

Also, I will be plugging them into this: http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1001#

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 8
Yes, the sound will be both lean and volume being rather low.

The problem is, if you use HD600 underpowered, it would be rather waste of money with spending 350+ USD for a headphones without using its all potential. You could get an amp + HD598 or similar-league Beyer headphones and more satisfactory result.
....but since I also sometimes enjoy my HD600 straight to my smartphone, I guess it's still worthwhile to grab the headphones first and then the amp later when you have money again (but, I must remind you EMU's headphone outs is actually worse than top-brand smartphone headphone out.)

So the equipment connection should be like this.

Your guitar -> guitar effect mix/amp -> E-MU 0204 -> headphone amp -> headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back