Sennheiser HD 598 vs Hifiman HE-400S
Aug 6, 2015 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Murli

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a headphone for my laptop. I won't be using an amp. Recent HE-400S looks great. But is it worth the extra $150 ??
I need a balanced headphone for music and movies. I mostly listen to synth-pop, new age, electronic music. Please Suggest..

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 18
But are they good for my music genres as compared to the HE-400S??

I think headphone choice is often more about a listener's particular tastes in sonic signature for headphones than genre. So could be you would like one or the other better.

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 18
Personally I wouldn't suggest the HD598's for electronic music. But it's all subjective. Why not give us a bugdet and description to work with instead?
smily_headphones1.gif

Money is not the issue. But I want to avoid those amps 

Aug 6, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 18
I wouldn't pick either for your tastes. I haven't tried the he400S, but everyone is saying that it is tuned similar to the he400i, which is definitely too resolving and bright for synth pop. The hd598 really wasn't all that good for me, but I listen to progressive rock mostly. I dont think it would have enough bass for electronic either, though. Maybe philips fidelio x1 or x2, but it really does depend on how you like your music to sound. Some ppl even prefer neutral for electronic, which is not what the philips are. They are pretty v-shaped and an improved m50x in literally every way.

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 18
  I wouldn't pick either for your tastes. I haven't tried the he400S, but everyone is saying that it is tuned similar to the he400i, which is definitely too resolving and bright for synth pop. The hd598 really wasn't all that good for me, but I listen to progressive rock mostly. I dont think it would have enough bass for electronic either, though. Maybe philips fidelio x1 or x2, but it really does depend on how you like your music to sound. Some ppl even prefer neutral for electronic, which is not what the philips are. They are pretty v-shaped and an improved m50x in literally every way.

So which one you would suggest will fit better for synth pop and electronic music. I don't really want those bass heavy headphones. The bass should be present but it shouldn't be that punchy like the m50. Please reply..

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #11 of 18

So which one you would suggest will fit better for synth pop and electronic music. I don't really want those bass heavy headphones. The bass should be present but it shouldn't be that punchy like the m50. Please reply..

If you don't like the m50 bass, then I guess you like your electro to be portrayed accurately. In that case, go with the he400S since it'll do neutral well.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 18
I'm listening to the HE400S right now and if I have to say anything, it's this:

I haven't heard sound quality like this in anything else under $1000 and I've auditioned everything under the sun.

Also, these are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.

So, I'll of course leave it up to you to decide, but if you want possibly the most comfortable headphones in existence (They are actually the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn, surpassing even the SR-009s) that sound better than anything else under $1000, HE400S are for you.

P.S. These puppies change dramatically with a few hours of burn in! They sounded great right out of the box, but after 4 hours of listening the bass came out along with all the special sauce that makes these ******* REVOLUTIONARY. GET THEM.

And oooooooohoohoohooooo baby, THEY. *******. SLAM.

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 18
  I'm listening to the HE400S right now and if I have to say anything, it's this:

I haven't heard sound quality like this in anything else under $1000 and I've auditioned everything under the sun.

Also, these are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.

So, I'll of course leave it up to you to decide, but if you want possibly the most comfortable headphones in existence (They are actually the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn, surpassing even the SR-009s) that sound better than anything else under $1000, HE400S are for you.

P.S. These puppies change dramatically with a few hours of burn in! They sounded great right out of the box, but after 4 hours of listening the bass came out along with all the special sauce that makes these ******* REVOLUTIONARY. GET THEM.

And oooooooohoohoohooooo baby, THEY. *******. SLAM.

Just ordered those little beasts. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 18
Just ordered those little beasts. 

GOOD CHOICE.

"Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen slams so hard it's like being punched in the face! The more power you use to amplify these, the more they slam! I'm only using the onboard DAC/AMP on my Blue Yeti microphone just to put things in perspective!!! And they're only getting better! Soundstage is widening, more detail and air, suddenly I can hear Freddie breathing inbetween singing, etc. etc. Seriously, nothing but praise for these babies. They kick the ass of the HE500 that I had. I think their approach was "We need to make the best headphones in the world that will sell for $300 and still make a profit" and they didn't care if they eclipsed most of their other models hahaha It's a really good business practice to indroduce the highest value possible and they ******* overdelivered lol

Just... Holy ****. You're going to love them.

I made this video for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRWfR6JhY3k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back